The Student Room Group

What are the lowest entry requirements I should aim for? (Maths)

I'd like to apply to unis which are in the top 20 for league tables and stuff (Russell Group and stuff) but most unis seem to want A*AA, AAA, etc for a Maths degree and the only unis which have lower grade boundaries like ABB are the 'less good' unis which I don't really want to go to. Ideally, I'd like to have an insurance of AAB but few 'good' universities go that low for a course like Maths...so I'm not sure if I should risk it and apply to good unis with the lowest of my choices being AAA or apply to an AAB/ABB university too? (which would be a bit safer but I'd be going to a pretty bad uni if it asks for ABB...) Would it be a waste?
Reply 1
lol
Original post by lightningdoritos
I'd like to apply to unis which are in the top 20 for league tables and stuff (Russell Group and stuff) but most unis seem to want A*AA, AAA, etc for a Maths degree and the only unis which have lower grade boundaries like ABB are the 'less good' unis which I don't really want to go to. Ideally, I'd like to have an insurance of AAB but few 'good' universities go that low for a course like Maths...so I'm not sure if I should risk it and apply to good unis with the lowest of my choices being AAA or apply to an AAB/ABB university too? (which would be a bit safer but I'd be going to a pretty bad uni if it asks for ABB...) Would it be a waste?

I'm going to study at Warwick in September, I missed my offer slightly so will be studying discrete maths. My offers were all for pure maths.

I had offers that ranged from AAB (St Andrews) to A*A*A + 1/2 in STEP (Warwick).

I applied to St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, York and Nottingham. My offer for St Andrews was lower than standard due to having further maths.

In the end, I firmed Warwick and insured York (AAA) so I think it's down to how good you think you are and how much work you're willing to put in.

Places like Leeds and Loughborough alongside Leicester give out lower offers and are outstanding universities.

Good luck to you :smile:
Original post by mathematigeek
I'm going to study at Warwick in September, I missed my offer slightly so will be studying discrete maths. My offers were all for pure maths.

I had offers that ranged from AAB (St Andrews) to A*A*A + 1/2 in STEP (Warwick).

I applied to St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, York and Nottingham. My offer for St Andrews was lower than standard due to having further maths.

In the end, I firmed Warwick and insured York (AAA) so I think it's down to how good you think you are and how much work you're willing to put in.

Places like Leeds and Loughborough alongside Leicester give out lower offers and are outstanding universities.

Good luck to you :smile:

Thanks a lot! I'm thinking of applying to St Andrews and Nottingham as well! How did you choose your final uni? Was it down to final grades or just personal preference? :smile:
Thanks a lot! I'm thinking of applying to St Andrews and Nottingham as well! How did you choose your final uni? Was it down to final grades or just personal preference? :smile:

Although St Andrews is truly beautiful the course wasn't for me :/ I felt limited with the module options and limited with the degree itself. The same goes for Nottingham, I didn't feel there was enough challenge from either uni, but my strength is pure maths and I felt both lacked in this area :/

I think its very much down to personal preference and what you think you're capable of.. I wouldn't limit yourself to lower unis, but I also wouldn't rule them out. Some that are ranked lower are often still very good and will make you work hard and achieve whatever it is you want to :smile:
Although St Andrews is truly beautiful the course wasn't for me :/ I felt limited with the module options and limited with the degree itself. The same goes for Nottingham, I didn't feel there was enough challenge from either uni, but my strength is pure maths and I felt both lacked in this area :/

I think its very much down to personal preference and what you think you're capable of.. I wouldn't limit yourself to lower unis, but I also wouldn't rule them out. Some that are ranked lower are often still very good and will make you work hard and achieve whatever it is you want to :smile:

I'll have a look at the courses then! Also, did you apply for Maths or Maths +Stats? I'm a bit confused whether to write about Statistics on my PS if I'm just applying to a straight Maths degree!

Also, could I PM you about STEP? :smile:
I'll have a look at the courses then! Also, did you apply for Maths or Maths +Stats? I'm a bit confused whether to write about Statistics on my PS if I'm just applying to a straight Maths degree!

Also, could I PM you about STEP? :smile:

It's a good idea to look at the course, often that's more important than where you go. If you'll be looking at things you dislike a lot then a university name won't matter because you won't do well anyway without enjoying it :/

I applied for pure maths to all 5. Got 4 maths offers, 1 rejection (Durham) and after this a course change offer to computer science at Durham.

In the end, I missed my offer at Warwick and accepted a course change to a very similar (possibly more appealing to me) course.

In your personal statement, any interest in any area of maths is useful to put in. Stats is involved in any pure maths degree too, at least in your first year. Feel free to PM me about the horror that is STEP and this too. I'll be happy to try and help you!
It's a good idea to look at the course, often that's more important than where you go. If you'll be looking at things you dislike a lot then a university name won't matter because you won't do well anyway without enjoying it :/

I applied for pure maths to all 5. Got 4 maths offers, 1 rejection (Durham) and after this a course change offer to computer science at Durham.

In the end, I missed my offer at Warwick and accepted a course change to a very similar (possibly more appealing to me) course.

In your personal statement, any interest in any area of maths is useful to put in. Stats is involved in any pure maths degree too, at least in your first year. Feel free to PM me about the horror that is STEP and this too. I'll be happy to try and help you!

4 offers is impressive! And I understand what you mean by 'boring' courses, the Nottingham one doesn't seem to have much...

Thanks for your help!
4 offers is impressive! And I understand what you mean by 'boring' courses, the Nottingham one doesn't seem to have much...

Thanks for your help!

I like to be challenged and I felt that I wouldn't be doing that course :/ I did visit the university and ask some questions but I didn't like it there. Just personal preference I guess :/

It's no problem, honestly
I like to be challenged and I felt that I wouldn't be doing that course :/ I did visit the university and ask some questions but I didn't like it there. Just personal preference I guess :/

It's no problem, honestly

I totally agree with you. Another thing I disliked is how they didn't offer work placements during the course which seemed a bit of a letdown :frown:

I was originally planning on Exeter because their course looked really interesting but I decided against it since it was too far away
I totally agree with you. Another thing I disliked is how they didn't offer work placements during the course which seemed a bit of a letdown :frown:

I was originally planning on Exeter because their course looked really interesting but I decided against it since it was too far away

That wasn't a huge thing for me tbh, but yea, I understand! Do you know what you want to do with your degree?

Exeter is a fantastic university, it might be worth applying, just in case you decide its not so far away after all!
That wasn't a huge thing for me tbh, but yea, I understand! Do you know what you want to do with your degree?

Exeter is a fantastic university, it might be worth applying, just in case you decide its not so far away after all!

Well the most likely path is finance and stuff like that, but definitely not a maths teacher haha

It's a shame that we only get 5 choices!
Well the most likely path is finance and stuff like that, but definitely not a maths teacher haha

It's a shame that we only get 5 choices!

I want to do something cool.. I fancy myself in academia, but there's not much of a chance so yea :') I might end up as a maths teacher, but I'd like to try new stuff first :/

Hey there, I'm applying to Warwick for pure maths just like you did and I was wondering how far did you miss your offer by? Also how did you do in the STEP paper? I've looked through a couple of papers and it looks like a completely new language :frown:
Original post by Rising_Mikado
Hey there, I'm applying to Warwick for pure maths just like you did and I was wondering how far did you miss your offer by? Also how did you do in the STEP paper? I've looked through a couple of papers and it looks like a completely new language :frown:

I got the a level grades (A*A*AC) but missed STEP. Technically, it was by 2 grades, but people got lower a levels and were being accepted with 3s in STEP. I was 2 marks off a 3 but had a good reason for it so was offered a course change. STEP is practically a new language, and a horrible one at that!
I got the a level grades (A*A*AC) but missed STEP. Technically, it was by 2 grades, but people got lower a levels and were being accepted with 3s in STEP. I was 2 marks off a 3 but had a good reason for it so was offered a course change. STEP is practically a new language, and a horrible one at that!

Oh I see, that's sort of relieving to hear :tongue: Would you say working hard on practising STEP papers from January onwards would allow me get a 2 or higher? I'm not innately good at maths, often just relying on extreme practise to do good. I feel like these papers separate the innate geniuses from the hard workers so I'm unsure if I'd do well :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh I see, that's sort of relieving to hear :tongue: Would you say working hard on practising STEP papers from January onwards would allow me get a 2 or higher? I'm not innately good at maths, often just relying on extreme practise to do good. I feel like these papers separate innate geniuses from the hard workers so I'm unsure if I'd do well :s-smilie:

They were very lenient this year actually :/ um I would say it could. But it isn't guaranteed. I worked for well over a year in STEP, one question everyday and completed 6 timed practices but it still scuppered me. I don't think working hard is a bad thing, I get complacent sometimes because pure stuff, I just get really quick and easy, but I really worked hard for the exam and still didn't do well. I think a lot is down to ability to cope under immense pressure :/
They were very lenient this year actually :/ um I would say it could. But it isn't guaranteed. I worked for well over a year in STEP, one question everyday and completed 6 timed practices but it still scuppered me. I don't think working hard is a bad thing, I get complacent sometimes because pure stuff, I just get really quick and easy, but I really worked hard for the exam and still didn't do well. I think a lot is down to ability to cope under immense pressure :/

Hm, that's worrying but I suppose that's just something to expect with STEP. I've only completed C3 so far, I assume its best to start practising after C4 is complete?
Hm, that's worrying but I suppose that's just something to expect with STEP. I've only completed C3 so far, I assume its best to start practising after C4 is complete?

It is, I'm sure you'll do fine! Maybe leave STEP for a while until you've done c4, but in the meantime practices with MAT may prove useful!
It is, I'm sure you'll do fine! Maybe leave STEP for a while until you've done c4, but in the meantime practices with MAT may prove useful!

I'll try to do that, I usually have too much free time after school from September-November :biggrin: What's different from discrete maths and pure maths from a students perspective?

Quick Reply

Latest