The Student Room Group

Should I retake GCSE maths?

So I got a 6 in GCSEs maths but I'm not happy with that and I wanted to make my uni application more competitive. Is it worth it retaking GCSEs maths even though I'm doing a level maths?

I want to study economics/finance
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Jaig23
So I got a 6 in GCSEs maths but I'm not happy with that and I wanted to make my uni application more competitive. Is it worth it retaking GCSEs maths even though I'm doing a level maths?

Also my average is 6.55, would that be a grade B or A/B? If I retake maths my average would go up to 6.82 which seems to be an A

I want to study economics/finance

This is like asking how long is a piece of string.

The questions you need to ask yourself is what universities you intend applying for and what are their entry requirements. If they require a grade 6 or below there is no point is re sitting. If they need a 7 or above you need to resit.

The other question I have is whether someone with a grade 6 at GCSE is likely to be good enough to obtain high grades at Maths A level. Maybe @Muttley79 can comment on this.
Original post by swanseajack1

The questions you need to ask yourself is what universities you intend applying for and what are their entry requirements. If they require a grade 6 or below there is no point is re sitting. If they need a 7 or above you need to resit.

The other question I have is whether someone with a grade 6 at GCSE is likely to be good enough to obtain high grades at Maths A level. Maybe @Muttley79 can comment on this.

The reason i have gotten a grade 6 is due to my teacher skipping content in class (grade 7-9 content) and I didn’t have enough time to go through all the skipped things, also I have been doing quite well in tests and I’m doing at least 10 hours of maths revision a week. I'm quite sure i can get a good grade.
Original post by swanseajack1

And I’m aiming for unis like a Warwick or ucl. Their minimum entry is 5/6 I was asking on wether I can make my application more competitive by re-sitting and getting a higher Mark not if I can get in. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Original post by Jaig23
And I’m aiming for unis like a Warwick or ucl. Their minimum entry is 5/6 I was asking on wether I can make my application more competitive by re-sitting and getting a higher Mark not if I can get in. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Unless the course is likely to be vastly oversubscribed meeting the requirement is enough. If they wanted more they would ask for it.
Reply 5
Original post by Jaig23

I wouldn't retake - focus on a strong A level grade in Maths.
Original post by Jaig23

Could you write out the rest of your GCSE grades, (just the numbers, not broken down by subject)?
Original post by Admit-One
Could you write out the rest of your GCSE grades, (just the numbers, not broken down by subject)?

Original post by Jaig23

I don’t think retaking one subject will make any material difference. It’s already a solid set of grades and bumping up one 6 won’t make you more competitive against someone with a stupidly good set of results.

Concentrate on your AL and relevant x-curriculars. They’ll make much more impact.

(This all assumes you meet any specific GCSE Maths requirement.)
It's not necessary. As long as you have the entry requirement, they're not interested in you having a higher GCSE.
My son is doing Economics and Banking and we spoke to a number of Uni's such as Reading / Henley Business school about this and that's what they told him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending