University of Warwick
Coventry

Can I Apply At Warwick?!?!?!?

Hi, my AS results were not what i had hope for, i got
A-History
C-Chemistry
C-Maths
E-physics
i am dropping physics. Do i have any chance of getting an offer from Warwick of any similar unis if i apply? and is physics worth retaking?
Reply 1
Hi there,

Obviously whether you should apply depends on how much you would like to go to Warwick and also which degree you want to study (you didn't mention it in your question.)

If you want to take a science subject, it might be worth retaking Physics just to get the AS grade up a bit even if you drop it at A2. Most courses at Warwick need AAB or ABB as the minimum grades to get in, but again this is really dependent on which course and whether you interview or not. Some degrees will have many, many applicants (like Biomed for instance) who can afford to look at nothing but grades and applications and make their decisions that way, with very little chance of places in clearing. Courses like mine (Film and Lit) also need interviews so the decision is based on this too, and on commitment and personality, and my course is also often in clearing if only for a few spaces each year so this is more likely.

I hope my explanation has made some sense, but please ask again if I can help! You can do it at A2, just work hard and be positive, all my best wishes! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Thanks A lot!! i want to study history i forgot to mention, I am hoping that if i am predicted something along the lines of ABB there might be hope for me yet?
:smile: :smile:
Reply 3
Hi again,

Well I can tell you now that I did not get what I expected to get at AS and also was disappointed. I still applied for Warwick, and my predicted grades were good so that helped (like AAAB I think, I took 4 full courses) but I also got all my references to include a line about how they thought I could do better during A2. (So I got my statement to include a bit about how my head of year knew I worked hard and would definitely work to improve my grades and a bit about how I was retaking 4 exams to bring my grades up.)

Alongside this, I tried really hard on my personal statement and also had an interview. In the interview for my course they asked me a lot about what I think I had lacked during my exams that I had learned from and was aiming to improve, they literally asked me, 'why did you get these grades if you weren't expecting them?' and I was really nervous but basically explained that I was working hard to improve and that I was confident this time around, and I got an offer about 2 days later!

Hope this helps a little! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thank you so much!! I feel a lot better :smile: hopefully i can turn this around haha

Cheers :smile:
Reply 5
HI!!
Do you think i will be able to get into mechanical engineering with these AS grades? AABC

I didnt do well at GCSE. I only got 2A* and 1A. But then this is coz i just got to uk then and i missed some part of school.

Do i stand a chance?

Thanks a lot
Original post by ben60
HI!!
Do you think i will be able to get into mechanical engineering with these AS grades? AABC

I didnt do well at GCSE. I only got 2A* and 1A. But then this is coz i just got to uk then and i missed some part of school.

Do i stand a chance?

Thanks a lot

When you say those are your only GCSEs do you mean they're only your A/A* grades or literally all your GCSEs?

With those AS's I think you would stand a good chance of an offer, try and get predicted AAA or better and I think you'd be fine. Try and show a serious interest in your personal statement too.
Reply 7
Original post by TheIrrational
When you say those are your only GCSEs do you mean they're only your A/A* grades or literally all your GCSEs?

With those AS's I think you would stand a good chance of an offer, try and get predicted AAA or better and I think you'd be fine. Try and show a serious interest in your personal statement too.

I meant they're my only A* and A. lol
Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest