The Student Room Group

Do unis ask for your GCSE certificates?

No idea how I did this, but I've lost my GCSE certificates. I'm embarrassed too.

I have the grades and subject names and everything from the results sheets given at the end of the year, so I could fill in UCAS fine, but when it comes to unis checking your results, will they want to see the certificates or will those sheets be enough? I honestly thought unis just phoned into school to check for grades, but my mum thinks otherwise. Do unis actually check GCSE results at all? (Maybe this is a total tangent, but will anyone ask for them later in life too?)

I don't really want to order replacements because of the cost (three different exam boards...) and since I'm still holding out for the originals, but if I need them, then I'd rather do it sooner than later. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vapz
No idea how I did this, but I've lost my GCSE certificates. I'm embarrassed too.

I have the grades and subject names and everything from the results sheets given at the end of the year, so I could fill in UCAS fine, but when it comes to unis checking your results, will they want to see the certificates or will those sheets be enough? I honestly thought unis just phoned into school to check for grades, but my mum thinks otherwise. Do unis actually check GCSE results at all? (Maybe this is a total tangent, but will anyone ask for them later in life too?)

I don't really want to order replacements because of the cost (three different exam boards...) and since I'm still holding out for the originals, but if I need them, then I'd rather do it sooner than later. Thanks!

Some will ask to see them, some won't. Some MAY accept the provisional statement of results, but some won't. It varies quite a bit. They certainly won't call the school to ask. You are an adult and will be treated as such, which means you have to supply the information they require. I'd advise you to get hold of some new ones for use in the future, since some employers will want to see that you have, usually, English and maths at GCSE. It seems odd once you've got a degree, but they do actually matter. I hope you find them.
I don't think that they do, I heard that Cambridge and LSE do but the others don't.

Not completely sure though.
Keep looking for them just in case. I was never asked to show real proof of my certificates, I even sat a GCSE 2 years early at a different school and they didn't ask to see the certificates. I don't know anyone who's been asked to show proof, I suppose there is a small chance they might, but I've never heard of it happening.
Original post by Vapz

I had to give copies of all my certificates (gcse and AS) to my uni.
Original post by Mr...
They usually just ask your referee for confirmation in their statement :smile:

Not quite. In providing a reference and allowing the application to go out under the school's name, the school is attesting to the truth of what is in the form. However, there is no contact made between the university and the referee on the matter. The university can, and often does, require the applicant to provide the proof of these qualifications, not the school or referee.
Original post by Mr...
Okay... :smile:

No problem. No reason why you should know that.
Reply 7
Aaah, cool! Thanks to everyone, this is really helpful!

I guess I'll look for them more and then order replacements if they still don't turn up!
Original post by Vapz
Aaah, cool! Thanks to everyone, this is really helpful!

I guess I'll look for them more and then order replacements if they still don't turn up!

Yes, keep looking as they are quite expensive to replace. Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you actually collected them in the first place? If not, they will still be at your school.
Reply 9
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, keep looking as they are quite expensive to replace. Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you actually collected them in the first place? If not, they will still be at your school.

Aha, it's fine, but I definitely got them--my dad even took pictures of them ;;;. Just got to find them again.
Original post by Mr...
How do you know what I should and shouldn't know :holmes:

Well, my assumption was that, unlike me, you haven't spent the last 26 years writing Ucas references, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by Vapz
Aha, it's fine, but I definitely got them--my dad even took pictures of them ;;;. Just got to find them again.

I'd start by asking proud dad where he put them. Blaming him could save you a lot of money.

May I ask what happens in the event of a name change?

Will the exam boards offer you new certificates free of charge?
Original post by Mr...
Well then, that sarcasm hit me like :bricks:

Spoiler

Don't call me, but you can PM if you like.
Original post by xNcDianna
May I ask what happens in the event of a name change?

Will the exam boards offer you new certificates free of charge?

I'm struggling to remember the answer to that one I'm afraid. It's been a few years since it last came across my path. My instinct is that exam boards never do anything for nothing, but I may be being harsh there.
Original post by Mr...
Sure thang...

Also you just sarcastically attacked a 14 year old :cry2:

It's what I do best.
I'm struggling to remember the answer to that one I'm afraid. It's been a few years since it last came across my path. My instinct is that exam boards never do anything for nothing, but I may be being harsh there.

Everyone has their hands in their own pockets :yep:

Thanks anyway.
One of my uni choices asked me to email them 'proof' of my GCSE English and maths. I didn't do it because it wasn't my firm or insurance but I'm assuming it would have to be scanned certificates. It was only that one uni out of 5 so not all of them ask. If you're lucky you could get away with it, depending what unis you're applying to but if I was you I'd get replacements as soon as possible because some employers will ask to see certificates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending