The Student Room Group

vet med gcse

hi, i am a year 12 student wanting to study vet med in the future. i am worried that my gcse grades are not good enough as my stem subjects are weaker. if the rest of my application was strong would these be acceptable.
drama -9
english language -9
biology -8
history-8
art-8
english lit -8
geography-7
chemistry-6
maths -6
spanish -6
physics -5

i know that i meet the minimum requirements of around 4 unis
Original post by josierossiter
hi, i am a year 12 student wanting to study vet med in the future. i am worried that my gcse grades are not good enough as my stem subjects are weaker. if the rest of my application was strong would these be acceptable.
drama -9
english language -9
biology -8
history-8
art-8
english lit -8
geography-7
chemistry-6
maths -6
spanish -6
physics -5
i know that i meet the minimum requirements of around 4 unis

Hi, I had a similar worry before applying to vet school, but I assure you that your grades are fine and for vet med your GCSEs aren’t really scored, so having all 9s doesn’t put you at an advantage over someone with the minimum. As long as you are checking the requirements (which you are), you will be fine. Although some unis do ask for 7s in both biology and chemistry so keep an eye out for that and just apply strategically. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
Original post by biologylover5
Hi, I had a similar worry before applying to vet school, but I assure you that your grades are fine and for vet med your GCSEs aren’t really scored, so having all 9s doesn’t put you at an advantage over someone with the minimum. As long as you are checking the requirements (which you are), you will be fine. Although some unis do ask for 7s in both biology and chemistry so keep an eye out for that and just apply strategically. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

hi, thank you so much that’s very reassuring, just out of interest what uni do you go to?
hi, thank you so much that’s very reassuring, just out of interest what uni do you go to?

I'm in year 13 but have an offer (and firmed) the university of nottingham for vet med, my stats were 8887777777 and AAA predicted
(edited 1 month ago)
I'm in year 13 but have an offer (and firmed) the university of nottingham for vet med, my stats were 8887777777 and AAA predicted

how much work experience and what extra curricular a did you do to set yourself apart from other applicants :smile:
how much work experience and what extra curricular a did you do to set yourself apart from other applicants :smile:

For work experience I did:
3 weeks at a city farm
2 weeks at a small animal practice
2 weeks online
1 week at an equestrian riding centre

For my extras, I did the cambridge higher aspirations scheme for vet med, read a book (the secret life of a vet by rory cowlam), 2 week online work experience course (by futurelearn), animal academy outreach programme (by the RVC), chemistry lecture at UCL, and a couple sports clubs here and there.
For work experience I did:
3 weeks at a city farm
2 weeks at a small animal practice
2 weeks online
1 week at an equestrian riding centre
For my extras, I did the cambridge higher aspirations scheme for vet med, read a book (the secret life of a vet by rory cowlam), 2 week online work experience course (by futurelearn), animal academy outreach programme (by the RVC), chemistry lecture at UCL, and a couple sports clubs here and there.

did you have to pay for the course on future learn because when i look it says i have to pay x
did you have to pay for the course on future learn because when i look it says i have to pay x

I didn't pay and I believe it should be free, it just costs money to get an official certificate at the end :smile: it should be the "Virtual Work Experience and Exploring the Veterinary Profession" and you click "join course" and make an account, then you should have 2 weeks completely free to complete it
I didn't pay and I believe it should be free, it just costs money to get an official certificate at the end :smile: it should be the "Virtual Work Experience and Exploring the Veterinary Profession" and you click "join course" and make an account, then you should have 2 weeks completely free to complete it

do you have to get the certificate to prove you’ve done it to the uni or is that not necessary ☺️
do you have to get the certificate to prove you’ve done it to the uni or is that not necessary ☺️

Sorry for the late reply I've been offline these few days, but yes I would screenshot it! Although I don't remember being explicitly asked for proof, I was just asked if I had done it on one of their questionnaires and that was that. If you have any further questions, do let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending