The Student Room Group

Dentistry related epq ideas

Hey im thinking of doing an EPQ based on a topic related to dentistry, but I don't have many ideas on what topics I could do.

Btw, an EPQ is an AS Level qualification where we must produce a 5000 word essay on any topic of our choice,

has anyone got any ideas? it would be very appreciated :smile: thanks
I'm afraid I can't help with a topic idea, however I would like to ask:

What other AS courses are you taking? If you are only taking two other courses, then please reconsider EPQ. This is as most uni's will NOT accept it on it's own, or even in combination with other A-levels. This means it will look 'nice' sure. But will it benefit you?

If taken as a 4th or 5th AS then fair enough. But again, if you are looking at doing dentistry at Degree level, bear in mind how incredibly high the entrance grades are. If this would take valuable time from you, that would be better spent on your other subjects, to get the grades needed, then don't take this project. The number of people taking this course is decreasing each year, as uni's are not interested in it.

If you are 100% confident you can get 3 very strong grades in 3 relevant A-levels, and do this, then good luck and I hope you find a subject you are interested in to write the essay on ^^
Reply 2
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
I'm afraid I can't help with a topic idea, however I would like to ask:

What other AS courses are you taking? If you are only taking two other courses, then please reconsider EPQ. This is as most uni's will NOT accept it on it's own, or even in combination with other A-levels. This means it will look 'nice' sure. But will it benefit you?

If taken as a 4th or 5th AS then fair enough. But again, if you are looking at doing dentistry at Degree level, bear in mind how incredibly high the entrance grades are. If this would take valuable time from you, that would be better spent on your other subjects, to get the grades needed, then don't take this project. The number of people taking this course is decreasing each year, as uni's are not interested in it.

If you are 100% confident you can get 3 very strong grades in 3 relevant A-levels, and do this, then good luck and I hope you find a subject you are interested in to write the essay on ^^

Thanks for the advice :smile:, I'm taking 4 AS subjects; Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Economics and I understand how high the entrance grades are for dentistry but I do believe that taking this project will benefit as we have the chance to gain more ucas points and hopefully I will be capable of achieving the grades required for entry. :smile:
Original post by Zozo9795
Thanks for the advice :smile:, I'm taking 4 AS subjects; Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Economics and I understand how high the entrance grades are for dentistry but I do believe that taking this project will benefit as we have the chance to gain more ucas points and hopefully I will be capable of achieving the grades required for entry. :smile:

In that case then I wish you all the best of luck ^^ my only advice from now on, is if you feel the project is taking time you would feel best spent on one of the other subjects, drop it :smile: It will do you so many more favours to have 3 or 4 very good AS levels than 3 or 4 'okayish' AS levels and the project ^^ But I hope you find a related subject you enjoy! *shudders* this whole topic has reminded me about my toothache. Silllly teeth D:
Reply 4
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
In that case then I wish you all the best of luck ^^ my only advice from now on, is if you feel the project is taking time you would feel best spent on one of the other subjects, drop it :smile: It will do you so many more favours to have 3 or 4 very good AS levels than 3 or 4 'okayish' AS levels and the project ^^ But I hope you find a related subject you enjoy! *shudders* this whole topic has reminded me about my toothache. Silllly teeth D:

Yup, thanks a lot!:smile: and I suppose I'll have to see how it goes in the first month or so and if I can't organise my time effectively between the project and subjects then I'll drop it, and lool awh hopefully it'll be alright :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest