The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
I cooked for myself or was cooked for in the flat probably 90% of the time, the rest of the time I ate out as either I didnt have any food in or I just didnt fancy cooking.

If you are thinking of never cooking then you are going to be looking at £50+ a week in buying food from the bars.
University of York
York
euan_e
Hi, i just wanted to know if most people cook for themselves or eat in the college cafeterias? I want to know whether i should bring any cooking equipment with me or not?

Definitely bring (or be prepared to buy) some pots and pans. I think I only ever had one meal in a college cafeteria. That said I cooked maximum once a day and ate out a fair amount in town or take-away. But still, for everything from baked beans to a stir fry, you're gonna need some kitchen utensils; no one likes the guy who in week 1 takes their stuff, uses it and then leaves stuff to congeal.

Good news is if you like sandwiches you will love Freshers (and various other sandwich outlets on campus) which do a really nice baguettes for under 2 quid. Also Mr £andwich which sells good sandwiches for, surprise surprise, £1. Like chicken and bacon and lettuce (allegedly made from REAL chickens).

Seriously, bring stuff though!
Reply 3
Everybody cooks.
Some of the sandwiches are alright...
Reply 5
Univeristy food on the whole sucks but there are a few rays of light. Vanburgh and Derwent do the best food. Roger Kirk Centre (a PFI run canteen) is plain awful. i think they chard 50p for a sausage, trust me its not Tesco's Finest, oh and they charge you 13p for a cup of hot water if you want to add lemsip. Also buying campus food everyday is expensive, its far cheaper to cook your own and more fun.

Also they are not always open which may mean you might starve.

Best bet is to wander off campus into Heslington to the Derry Pub, its not the first one the Charles, that used to do good food but it has changed management and now it sucks. The Derry rules, two meals for £6 and the landlord there is OK
Reply 6
I'm reliably informed tht B Henry's do the best chips :wink:
Reply 7
laser
I'm reliably informed tht B Henry's do the best chips :wink:

Not chips but chessy chips, although apparently B Henrys is being closed :frown:
Reply 8
Where'd you hear that? I doubt it's true. B Henry's is always pretty packed during the day. It's only at nights that it's being dropped down to 2 and a half nights.
Where/what is B Henry's?
Reply 10
Alcuin (in D block, just behind the porter's lodge - follow the signs to Alcuin College Reception)
Reply 11
laser
Where'd you hear that? I doubt it's true. B Henry's is always pretty packed during the day. It's only at nights that it's being dropped down to 2 and a half nights.

Sorry Lazer, thats what I meant
Reply 12
Totally offtopic, but it's laser - it's an acronym

Light Amplified by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation :P

Latest