The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

What's better, student halls or private accomodation?

Hi everyone

my name is Chiara, I'm 22, I come from Italy and I'm about to start a Master in Russian Studies at the University of Glasgow.
Now, I've been offered a place in the Student halls, more precisely in Winton Drive. I have no idea whether to accept it or not, it's honestly a bit too pricey for me. It's roughly 450 pounds pcm, perhaps is not much for the UK, but when converted in euros it ends up being quite a bit.

Thing is, all of my British friends told me that the halls are great for social life and that they had an excellent time.
Private accomodation instead is much cheaper, though there aren't that many places available in the West End (close to uni).

Any advice?
Hi Chiara,

Ideally halls is the best choice if you want a more social aspect - usually drink/partying etc. It is much easier to get to know people in halls because they tend to be in the same year. Halls is more expensive than a flat. However, a flat is usually more convenient and usually closer to universities. Despite the price i would choose halls. Good luck.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by MrsPuffincat
Hi everyone

my name is Chiara, I'm 22, I come from Italy and I'm about to start a Master in Russian Studies at the University of Glasgow.
Now, I've been offered a place in the Student halls, more precisely in Winton Drive. I have no idea whether to accept it or not, it's honestly a bit too pricey for me. It's roughly 450 pounds pcm, perhaps is not much for the UK, but when converted in euros it ends up being quite a bit.

Thing is, all of my British friends told me that the halls are great for social life and that they had an excellent time.
Private accomodation instead is much cheaper, though there aren't that many places available in the West End (close to uni).

Any advice?

Ciao Chiara,

I wouldn't mind about being super close to the uni. A quick search on spareroom shows that you can get very nice rooms for a way cheaper price; I will be studying next year, so I just have had a quick look. Halls may be a nicer experience in some way, but if you have to then cut spending on food or leisure, I don't see the point.
Reply 3
Original post by Harvey008
Ciao Chiara,

I wouldn't mind about being super close to the uni. A quick search on spareroom shows that you can get very nice rooms for a way cheaper price; I will be studying next year, so I just have had a quick look. Halls may be a nicer experience in some way, but if you have to then cut spending on food or leisure, I don't see the point.

Hi, thanks for your honest opinion. Yeah, I've been checking regularly Spareroom and Gumtree in the past weeks, only the best deals seem to be far from uni. On top of that, I will only be in Glasgow on the 7th of September, so I can't view anything before then.
Might sounds childish and stupid, but I'd like to be close to the University cause I think is gonna be easier to meet with other students if the majority of them live around there (and yes, it's more convenient for accessing libraries and the facilities). But guess those are the usual fears of moving to a place one knows nothing about :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hrahman7860
Hi Chiara,

Ideally halls is the best choice if you want a more social aspect - usually drink/partying etc. It is much easier to get to know people in halls because they tend to be in the same year. Halls is more expensive than a flat. However, a flat is usually more convenient and usually closer to universities. Despite the price i would choose halls. Good luck.

Thanks, that's what almost everybody's been telling me until now. I'll think about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending