The Student Room Group

Is taking two English subjects at A level a bad idea?

I'm going into year 11 this September and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what I want to do for A levels.

So far I think I'm going to go with Psychology, English Lit and politics but I'm unsure on my fourth. My school offer an after school creative writing a level course and I've always really loved story writing so I think I'd enjoy it a lot but I've been told it's a bad idea to do two English subjects. I would really like to get into a good university, so would a Russell group Uni consider me if I did these options for my AS? I know it's hard to say as I'm not sure what course I want to take at uni.

I was also considering taking economics but I've also been told taking 5 subjects at AS will kill me. I'm also a little worried it'll bore me- does it get boring?
If you're not sure what course you want to do, then take subjects you enjoy. I'm not sure if it's seen as a bad thing by universities or not though.
Different universities have different views on courses like creative writing. You'd be best to check with some unis you're interested in, and have a look at their course requirements. You can just find this information on their websites.

Quick Reply

Latest