The Student Room Group

Only aloud to take 3 AS! What are my options!

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually I'm not sure it will be that much of a limit for you.

Obviously most universities will notice, but if you explain that it wasn't your choice you should be fine for the Arts. If you are a sciences candidate this is probably a bit different, although mostly just for competitive courses.

I'd echo the guy above me but add that you should probably take 3 facilitating subjects (hard subjects really), because this will give y the most options, which you need considering the limit already placed on you.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Actually I'm not sure it will be that much of a limit for you.

Obviously most universities will notice, but if you explain that it wasn't your choice you should be fine for the Arts. If you are a sciences candidate this is probably a bit different, although mostly just for competitive courses.

I'd echo the guy above me but add that you should probably take 3 facilitating subjects (hard subjects really), because this will give y the most options, which you need considering the limit already placed on you.

I'm looking to do either politics/philosophy/sociology at university.

For AS-level I have taken History Economics and Sociology. I was going to take Philosophy but it was full up. Do they seem strong enough?
Reply 3
Depends what you want to do, but the large majority of unis won't require an AS - including very good places like Bath, Bristol, Exeter etc

I had no problems getting offers for my course and likewise many others on TSR & at my own school (despite only having 3 AS levels)
sets out deckchairs and popcorn stand waiting for the SPaG fascists to point out that someone who can't distinguish between homophones ought to carefully consider whether NQFlevel 3 study is really for them ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks, I think I've taken 3 decent AS so hopefully I can take another for A2!
Original post by blondelocks
I'm looking to do either politics/philosophy/sociology at university.

For AS-level I have taken History Economics and Sociology. I was going to take Philosophy but it was full up. Do they seem strong enough?

Sociology is a weak one, but I'd be very much surprised if that wasn't an adequate combination! :smile:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Sociology is a weak one, but I'd be very much surprised if that wasn't an adequate combination! :smile:

I could switch it for English Lit or Government and Politics. Do you think it would make a significant difference?
I could switch it for English Lit or Government and Politics. Do you think it would make a significant difference?

G&P probably not, but English Lit definitely would. Don't take it if you hate it, but if you only have a slight preference for Sociology I'd definitely take English Lit.
Original post by zippyRN
sets out deckchairs and popcorn stand waiting for the SPaG fascists to point out that someone who can't distinguish between homophones ought to carefully consider whether NQFlevel 3 study is really for them ...

Haha, had to change it.
You could self teach and take a fourth AS independently somewhere.
Maybe self study a 4th subject?
Haha, had to change it.

at least you know what a homophone is ...

the levels of SPaG facism on TSR really is lacking compared to the old days .. .
Original post by zippyRN
at least you know what a homophone is ...

the levels of SPaG facism on TSR really is lacking compared to the old days .. .

Can't edit the title so there's still time...
I was the same. I moved to grammar and wasn't allowed to sit a 4th AS as I only had 7 GCSEs.

Your options are not limited very much at all without a 4th AS, only Bristol, Oxbridge and unis of that ilk are out of reach. As an example, I'm applying to King's, St Andrews and Nottingham this year, all excellent unis and base their offers on having 3 subjects to A2. In fact, KCL has already confirmed to me that their offers are only based on your A2 predictions and the additional AS carries no weight.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
I was the same. I moved to grammar and wasn't allowed to sit a 4th AS as I only had 7 GCSEs.

Your options are not limited very much at all without a 4th AS, only Bristol, Oxbridge and unis of that ilk are out of reach. As an example, I'm applying to King's, St Andrews and Nottingham this year, all excellent unis and base their offers on having 3 subjects to A2. In fact, KCL has already confirmed to me that their offers are only based on your A2 predictions and the additional AS carries no weight.

Awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest