The Student Room Group

Transfering A2's to another exam board

Hi,

So this year I got my A-level results, achieving AAB at AS for Biology, Maths and Chemistry, and overall ended up with BBD at a level.

Unfortunately my school have refused me to retake my A2's and have said that they are not allowing any Y14 retake Y13.

On asking at college to retake, they work on different exam boards and have said that they cannot convert the UMS on any exams that have A2's to a new board - meaning I can't move across modules to the new exam board.

Does anyone know If this is correct? I'm struggling now to find a college\school that has exactly the same exam boards - only biology seems to match.
Reply 1
Original post by SamKG95
Hi,

So this year I got my A-level results, achieving AAB at AS for Biology, Maths and Chemistry, and overall ended up with BBD at a level.

Unfortunately my school have refused me to retake my A2's and have said that they are not allowing any Y14 retake Y13.

On asking at college to retake, they work on different exam boards and have said that they cannot convert the UMS on any exams that have A2's to a new board - meaning I can't move across modules to the new exam board.

Does anyone know If this is correct? I'm struggling now to find a college\school that has exactly the same exam boards - only biology seems to match.

In general, you can transfer a whole AS to another exam board - it's called a transfer of credit (http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit) but you can never transfer individual units.

Your options would seem to be:

Re-take your Y13 elsewhere, transferring your AS to their exam boards and binning your current A2 units.

teach yourself and enter for re-sits on your chosen exam boards as a private candidate.

Reply 2
Original post by Compost
In general, you can transfer a whole AS to another exam board - it's called a transfer of credit (http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit) but you can never transfer individual units.

Your options would seem to be:

Re-take your Y13 elsewhere, transferring your AS to their exam boards and binning your current A2 units.

teach yourself and enter for re-sits on your chosen exam boards as a private candidate.

Thanks for the quick reply - I had asked at a college about retaking my A2's there and they said they wouldn't be able to because my exam boards were different to theirs. They said since I had already cashed in my overall A2 grades, I would only be able to resit them at a centre who did the exact same exam boards. Is this true? Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by SamKG95
Thanks for the quick reply - I had asked at a college about retaking my A2's there and they said they wouldn't be able to because my exam boards were different to theirs. They said since I had already cashed in my overall A2 grades, I would only be able to resit them at a centre who did the exact same exam boards. Is this true? Thanks

You'd have to read the rules I linked to be sure (I've been out this evening and can't be bothered), and they're right in saying that you can't pick and choose what A2 units to take if you transfer credit - you'd have to do the lot - but I think transferring the AS would be an option.

To accept someone as a private candidate the centre doesn't have to teach that subject with that exam board, or even the subject at all. IF the centre is registered with the exam board (and almost all centres in England are registered with AQA, Edexcel and OCR) they can accept candidates for any subject with that board.

Quick Reply

Latest