The Student Room Group

Why am I so bad at biology?

I do A-Level Biology, and hope to study some aspects of it at university as I find it more intriguing compared to my other A-Levels, however I don't know why I'm doing so bad at it.

For my practicals section, I can never really get things immediately, I try really hard to be in control and follow instructions properly but somehow I always mess up or just don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing, even if I've read on it beforehand.

Doing practicals has been much worse, I've spilled a McCartney Bottle containing an e-coli culture, accidentally ruined someone else's finished practical work by transferring an antibiotic disc from their agar plate onto mine, and I've even forgot to tape agar plates together after a practical.

On top of that, I always finish last in practicals and they always leak into tutor time, and I still don't get as good as results in a practical as everyone else.

This even shows academically, I study around 1 to 3 hours of biology each day and achieved an A2 in AS, but compared to my friends who barely study at all, and even hate biology, they're getting A1 grades.

I just don't get it, I feel like I've chosen the wrong science to study not because I don't enjoy it or anything, but because I'm naturally bad at it.
Honestly as someone who got U's on every single practice paper i did in school but got an A in AS, I can recommend for the grades, get a tutor (i know it feels like your accepting your failure with this, but for me it really helped especially with exam technique, which if your revising that much, might be the issue)
I don't know what exam board you have, but for mine the quality of the practical's didn't matter as much as being able to do the technique. But if your really worried about it, go talk to a teacher, at my school several people retook practical's with the year below in year 13 to get them to a high enough standard.
And as for your friends, don't let them doing well drag you down, we all have different skills and most of the time if someone says they never revise yet are consistently doing well, they're exaggerating.
Also some uni courses offer foundation years, which may be helpful if you don't do as well as you hoped.
Most importantly, don't let your passion for biology die, and if you love it, you didn't choose the wrong science.

Quick Reply

Latest