The Student Room Group

American Interested in UK Uni

Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right section. I would have posted this over in the Universities thread but as I'm not decided on any one school or location I thought over here might be more general.
A bit about myself- I'm an American student, about to start my second year in uni here in the US. However, I'm looking to transfer after my 2nd year and finish my undergrad studies at a uni which has a better program for my interests. I started looking into UK schools when I found out they're much cheaper than American unis, which are pretty expensive. I'm hoping to study/major in Environmental Studies or Science, as I'm interested in Environmental Planning and conservation.
From what research I've done it seems as though there are a lot of schools in the UK which are well thought of. At the moment, the only school I know much about is University of Edinburgh.
Does anyone have any recommendations for my search?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by D_ecrivaine
Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right section. I would have posted this over in the Universities thread but as I'm not decided on any one school or location I thought over here might be more general.
A bit about myself- I'm an American student, about to start my second year in uni here in the US. However, I'm looking to transfer after my 2nd year and finish my undergrad studies at a uni which has a better program for my interests. I started looking into UK schools when I found out they're much cheaper than American unis, which are pretty expensive. I'm hoping to study/major in Environmental Studies or Science, as I'm interested in Environmental Planning and conservation.
From what research I've done it seems as though there are a lot of schools in the UK which are well thought of. At the moment, the only school I know much about is University of Edinburgh.

So you're telling me that one year of university in the states costs more than $14,916.64 ?

EDIT: Wow, just looked.... Fees can range from £15,000-£50,000 depending upon the university and course...

The average cost in the US/year is £22,000 - what a RIP OFF!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoshZ
So you're telling me that one year of university in the states costs more than $14,916.64 ?

EDIT: Wow, just looked.... Fees can range from £15,000-£50,000 depending upon the university and course...

The average cost in the US/year is £22,000 - what a RIP OFF!

Well it does depend on whether you want to go to a public or private schools. Honestly, it kinda ends up if you want to go to a good school, get that name on your resume and such, you have to pay more. Public schools are generally £4547-£15157 (if you live in that state) and private schools can be £37,900+. If I were to transfer within the US, I would probably end up going to a private school, and I wasn't granted any financial aid due to some annoying circumstances...
I think at my current school, which is considered ok, I'm paying £16,000 per year
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all,

In all honesty, you are going to find it difficult to get a decent university to accept you into the 3rd year of a programme, whether or not it's a 3 or 4 year course: it's even more difficult coming from outside the UK, because the process of ascertaining equivalency is complicated by the different educational system. You're best off contacting each university you're interested in directly to find out whether they would accept you -and get moving on this sooner rather than later, because it's quite a drawn out process, even where you're transferring from elsewhere in the UK.

Bear in mind too - though I'm sure you have - you'll be charged international student rates, which tend to be higher in science-type subjects that arts. Depending on where you are studying now (in state or out, for example) it may cost you more than you're already paying, and, of course, you won't be eligible for any of the financial support British (and EU) students are.

Good Luck!
Original post by KatetheLecturer
In all honesty, you are going to find it difficult to get a decent university to accept you into the 3rd year of a programme, whether or not it's a 3 or 4 year course: it's even more difficult coming from outside the UK, because the process of ascertaining equivalency is complicated by the different educational system. You're best off contacting each university you're interested in directly to find out whether they would accept you -and get moving on this sooner rather than later, because it's quite a drawn out process, even where you're transferring from elsewhere in the UK.

Bear in mind too - though I'm sure you have - you'll be charged international student rates, which tend to be higher in science-type subjects that arts. Depending on where you are studying now (in state or out, for example) it may cost you more than you're already paying, and, of course, you won't be eligible for any of the financial support British (and EU) students are.

Good Luck!

Oh....:frown: I better get on that then. Thanks!
Why on earth are you interested in the UK!? Be thankful you're elsewhere
Original post by Pro_crastinator
Why on earth are you interested in the UK!? Be thankful you're elsewhere

Because it's way cheaper!
Also, the convenience of being surrounded by so many countries speaking so many languages....I want to become fluent in French and other languages so it would be much easier to do so if I were merely a train(?) ride away from France.

Yes, sorry - there's no one answer, I'm afraid. If it's any consolation, though, any of the students we've taken from the US have done extremely well - despite the differences in the system.
Yes, sorry - there's no one answer, I'm afraid. If it's any consolation, though, any of the students we've taken from the US have done extremely well - despite the differences in the system.

A family friend's daughter did her undergrad at St. Andrew's and now is doing her postgrad at Edinburgh... she likely started out at Andrew's though. Wish I did that.
I guess I'll contact a few schools though. Are you able to recommend any schools for environmental programs?
(edited 9 years ago)
This is one of the 2012 league tables: http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2012/jun/29/top-uk-universities-for-environmental-sciences-2012-qs-world-university-rankings

One of the things is, though, that the higher-ranked universities (probably those that you'll have heard of - because they have a strong international reputation) will be those less likely to accept you into your 3rd year: they may take you in to the 2nd, but this would mean an extra year of living costs and fees (though as an international student, you'll be allowed to work 20 hours a week, I think - I remember being extremely bitter that, many years ago, the US did not permit international students to work: which meant although I have post-grad from three countries, none of those are the US!) - if you're really determined, though, it might be worth it.

You could check this out too - http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/environmental-science-degree-courses-united-kingdom/m/united+kingdom/crh/8563/page.html

In all honesty, I suspect you'll have better luck with post-92 institutions (those that were originally polytechnics) a) because they are more flexible in a lot of student-related matters and b) because they are usually less over-subscribed or have a higher drop-out rate (technically, we can only take students into later years of a degree if there is space on the course, though this isn't rigid at all universities) - from a quick look, the highest ranked of the courses from a new university is that offered by Gloucester. However, because it is quite a specific course you are interested, you might fine that anyway a new university offers modules more to your taste, because they tend to be more practical (though not always) in terms of the things they cover - more policy than theory, for example.

However, the good news is that you're an international student, so there will be more flexibility that if you were a home student: we love international students because you have to pay lovely high fees (British students' fees only covers part of the actual cost to educate them per year; international students cover it all) so we'll forgive you a lot ;-)

(Why do so many Americans study at St Andrews? Apart from anything else, it's blooming miles from the nearest airport :-D)
Hi!
I'm an American about to start my first year at University College London. I applied to St. Andrews and Edinburgh as well and went to both receptions in the states. It seems that both unis really love Americans ($$$). The Scottish system seems to be much closer to the American college system (4 years, more flexibility, electives) than the English system (3 years, specialize right away, no electives or general education). You'll probably have a much easier time transferring into Scottish unis than English ones. I think you should contact the unis individually.
Btw the course I'm doing is around $34,000/year not including living expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by savoir-faire
Hi!
I'm an American about to start my first year at University College London. I applied to St. Andrews and Edinburgh as well and went to both receptions in the states. It seems that both unis really love Americans ($$$). The Scottish system seems to be much closer to the American college system (4 years, more flexibility, electives) than the English system (3 years, specialize right away, no electives or general education). You'll probably have a much easier time transferring into Scottish unis than English ones. I think you should contact the unis individually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

$34,000 a year? Jesus Christ man, I say with absolutely no irony that I hope it is worth it.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
$34,000 a year? Jesus Christ man, I say with absolutely no irony that I hope it is worth it.

My other choice, University of Southern California, would've cost me $65,000/yr. $34,000 doesn't seem all that bad in comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it's way cheaper!
Also, the convenience of being surrounded by so many countries speaking so many languages....I want to become fluent in French and other languages so it would be much easier to do so if I were merely a train(?) ride away from France.

That mere train ride if you don't get it at exactly the right time of year can cost you up to $1,000 return ticket :P

Just bear in mind, I'm moving out of the UK to the US because over there it's cheaper!
(edited 9 years ago)
Plus, Americans are used to having to cough up for tertiary education: their parents seem to start college funds almost at birth...
This is one of the 2012 league tables: http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2012/jun/29/top-uk-universities-for-environmental-sciences-2012-qs-world-university-rankings

One of the things is, though, that the higher-ranked universities (probably those that you'll have heard of - because they have a strong international reputation) will be those less likely to accept you into your 3rd year: they may take you in to the 2nd, but this would mean an extra year of living costs and fees (though as an international student, you'll be allowed to work 20 hours a week, I think - I remember being extremely bitter that, many years ago, the US did not permit international students to work: which meant although I have post-grad from three countries, none of those are the US!) - if you're really determined, though, it might be worth it.

You could check this out too - http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/environmental-science-degree-courses-united-kingdom/m/united+kingdom/crh/8563/page.html

In all honesty, I suspect you'll have better luck with post-92 institutions (those that were originally polytechnics) a) because they are more flexible in a lot of student-related matters and b) because they are usually less over-subscribed or have a higher drop-out rate (technically, we can only take students into later years of a degree if there is space on the course, though this isn't rigid at all universities) - from a quick look, the highest ranked of the courses from a new university is that offered by Gloucester. However, because it is quite a specific course you are interested, you might fine that anyway a new university offers modules more to your taste, because they tend to be more practical (though not always) in terms of the things they cover - more policy than theory, for example.

However, the good news is that you're an international student, so there will be more flexibility that if you were a home student: we love international students because you have to pay lovely high fees (British students' fees only covers part of the actual cost to educate them per year; international students cover it all) so we'll forgive you a lot ;-)

(Why do so many Americans study at St Andrews? Apart from anything else, it's blooming miles from the nearest airport :-D)

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out those links. So are the post-92 institutions not as good then?
I always thought St. Andrew's was pretty elite and very hard to get into. And an international school, so it'd probably be appealing to American students.

Have a look at Queen's University Belfast, they are trying to attract more international students so you might have a good chance of getting into year 3 here than most good English and Scottish unis that have more international students. I'm almost sure they offer bursaries for international students too! Queen's is a good Russell group university and Belfast is a beautiful city :smile:.

Also you could look into the University of Ulster which although it's Russell Group is still a really good uni. They are also trying to attract more international students so that could give you a chance.

Btw the reason they are trying to attract more international students isn't because they are bad unis it's just because they are made up of a lot of Northern Irish and UK compared to international students
Original post by savoir-faire
Hi!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I'm so happy you replied to my thread! Good to hear about the experience of another American.
That's good to know about English schools. I just contacted Edinburgh, maybe I'll contact a few more once I figure out the best schools for my intended course.
Is there any sort of financial aid for international students? Also, I think I read it would be about the same ($34,000) to go to Edinburgh. So much, yet still way cheaper than an American private school....
Original post by Sarao
Have a look at Queen's University Belfast, they are trying to attract more international students so you might have a good chance of getting into year 3 here than most good English and Scottish unis that have more international students. I'm almost sure they offer bursaries for international students too! Queen's is a good Russell group university and Belfast is a beautiful city :smile:.

Also you could look into the University of Ulster which although it's Russell Group is still a really good uni. They are also trying to attract more international students so that could give you a chance.

Btw the reason they are trying to attract more international students isn't because they are bad unis it's just because they are made up of a lot of Northern Irish and UK compared to international students

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do that.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Russell Group....What does it mean?
EDIT: Oh I just looked up Russell Group. Being part of it is a good thing, right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do that.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Russell Group....What does it mean?

Russell Group unis are a group of 24 research unis generally considered to be the best unis in the UK.

Here's the link to Queen's international student page http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/InternationalStudents/

Quick Reply