The Student Room Group

Starting from scratch...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Training your biceps at your stage is of limited use. Just programme chins/ rows and the odd curl and you'll be fine this early on.

As others have said doing a decent beginner routine would be of benefit to you. There's really good resources out there for learning the movements etc.

Thanks for your reply. For biceps, I won't bother with isolations and stick with rows, and I'd like to try to add chin/pull ups in the future.

With regards to beginner routines, I feel the only thing I'm missing out on are squats and deadlifts. Squats don't feel too natural to me, and the squat rack tends to be fairly busy and I don't want to go in there and deload the bar in a busy gym. I think it's a slight anxiety thing. Plus I quite like leg presses. For deadlifts, it's a similar thing, and I like leg curls.

Aside from those two, is there anything else I'm missing? Any changes in terms of reps and sets? (Tonight I'll only be doing about 6 exercises and might try upping the weight on some of them, maybe lowering the reps to 6-8 in some cases, and building that up over the next couple of weeks).
Tuesday evening;

Leg Press 1x35kg, 1x57.5kg, 2x80kg, 1x87.5kg
DB Flat Bench Press 1x10kg, 2x12.5kg, 1x15kg
DB Incline Bench Press 3x12.5kg
BB Rows 1x15kg, 3x25kg
BB Squats 1x10kg, 1x15kg, 3x20kg
Lying Leg Curls 3x30kg

Firstly, I was pleased I was able to again increase the weight on the leg press without any pain, and also the leg curls. I tried increasing the weight on the DB Bench but I only got about six reps of average form and stopped. I'll try that weight again in a week or so.

Secondly, squats. Urgh, squats. I did the first two sets with those pre-made barbells away from a rack and they were fine but I realised it would be impossible to continue at a higher weight as I wouldn't be able to get it over my head. The first (of three) sets in the squat rack was fine but after that my upper back (is where the bar was resting), my left shoulder and both my wrists (to an extent) started to hurt, and this was a weight that wasn't particularly testing my legs.

I'm unsure whether to scrap them altogether and focus on leg presses and curls (hated by everyone bar me it seems), or figure out where I'm going wrong and try and do better again (need to watch vids). I know doing them first helps but I don't think it's a factor atm. I also liked dumbbell squats because they're by your side and not on your back/shoulders/neck.

End of that ramble :tongue:
Is your bar placement correct and are you stretching properly before doing your squats? These could both be issues. Find a decent stretching routine online and I also suggest you watch this video because it helped me out a lot with correct form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I94Uzehte2Y&list=LL26eWFxYQ0OT2z7pLjOeCWg&index=6

Keep at it on the squats and, if you can, stick to using the rack. The upper back pain could be prevented by putting a foam pad around the barbell if you're really struggling.

I found squats difficult to begin with but focus on getting the form down and learning the basics then slowly add weight to progress.
Keep doing bicep curls! They only take 5 minutes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thursday evening;

Seated Leg Press 1x35kg, 1x57.5kg, 1x80kg, 2x87.5kg
BB Bent Over Rows 1x15kg, 4x25kg
DB Flat Bench Press 1x7.5kg, 3x12.5kg
DB Seated Overhead Press 1x7.5kg, 2x10kg
Lying Leg Curls 3x30kg
Tricep Extensions 1x17.5kg, 2x22.5kg

A good workout, I managed to keep it short but it felt effective and again I used more weight or more reps on exercises than before. If I can keep to these six or seven exercises I reckon I'm hitting everywhere 3x a week which is what I aimed to do.

I'll take your advice on board DannyW94, although I didn't have time to look much at squat form vids before last night and just stuck to what I knew instead. But I will try to get better at doing squats as although I'm making progress on my legs and am happy with my current routine, they are raved about by most people.
Saturday afternoon;

Seated Leg Press 1x40kg, 1x57.5kg, 3x87.5kg
DB Flat Bench Press 1x7.5kg, 3x12.5kg
BB Bent Over Rows 1x15kg, 3x25kg
DB Seated Overhead Press 2x7.5kg, 2x10kg
Lying Leg Curls 3x30kg
Tricep Extensions 2x17.5kg, 1x22.5kg, 1x10kg (each hand)
Incline Treadmill (5min warming up/down, 5 min incline)
Forearm exercises

A bit of a mixed workout. On the one hand I did a good number of reps and weight on legs and chest, but on the other I was a bit weak at the rows and overhead presses. In general I lacked some energy, maybe I was tired from Thursday evening or maybe it was connected to a long period of low blood sugars.

Still, since it's the weekend and I had more time, I felt I was able to do more. In hindsight I should've watched some squat form vids this morning, but only realised this when I was part way through my workout. Ah well.

Will probably weigh myself tomorrow and see how things are progressing. Still pleased with my progress, in numbers terms at least.
Reply 26
Mate it seems to me that you are avoiding squats and deadlifts as much as you can, don't be scared of the squat rack being busy, just wait your turn and remember that everyone has to start somewhere. You're pretty much skipping the best two exercises you could possibly do.
Try and persevere with squats. The bar shouldn't be hurting your shoulders, that probably means you had it placed wrongly. Not sure why your wrist would hurt either. Remember to rest properly between sets too, so as to avoid fatigue. It's bound to feel weird at first.

Same with deads, what are your reasons for not doing them?

I also second what a few other say that a beginner program might be of more benefit as first, as you seem to be doing an excess of accessory exercises but neglecting basic compound ones. Plus from what I can see you're only doing between 1 and 3 reps for each exercise? (unless I'm reading it wrong). You may need to do more to build strength and progress at this stage.

But hey, what do I know.. I'm just a girl! Haha.
Original post by 0range
Mate it seems to me that you are avoiding squats and deadlifts as much as you can, don't be scared of the squat rack being busy, just wait your turn and remember that everyone has to start somewhere. You're pretty much skipping the best two exercises you could possibly do.

To an extent, yeah. Up to now I've not been hiding the fact I've been avoiding deadlifts. Squats, well, I have done dumbbell squats plenty in the past, and quite like them, but I don't like barbell ones although I wish I did. I'll give them a go next time I'm there but in all honesty as I like leg press and leg curls I don't fully see the need.

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Try and persevere with squats. The bar shouldn't be hurting your shoulders, that probably means you had it placed wrongly. Not sure why your wrist would hurt either. Remember to rest properly between sets too, so as to avoid fatigue. It's bound to feel weird at first.

I also second what a few other say that a beginner program might be of more benefit as first, as you seem to be doing an excess of accessory exercises but neglecting basic compound ones. Plus from what I can see you're only doing between 1 and 3 reps for each exercise? (unless I'm reading it wrong). You may need to do more to build strength and progress at this stage.

Yeah, I know my form's likely a bit dodgy. I've been trying to watch form vids but it's difficult to know where I'm going wrong as I can't look to the side at my form mid-exercise to see what my form's like. I do rest between sets, usually about a minute, maybe a minute and a half sometimes.

As for deads, I guess it's because they hit the hamstrings which leg curls do, and they have a tendency to lead to back injuries. The one thing I don't want to do is mess up my back. Dare I say it, deadlifts also seem to be an ego lift, since they're the exercise where people can lift the most weight. I don't think they do anything that I can't do with other exercises, but maybe that's just me :tongue:

No, I do 8-12 reps per set, although I don't count it exactly each time, since I'm focussing on the workout itself. When I say 3x30kg, it means 3 sets of 8-12. I really wouldn't do 1-3 reps, especially at those weights :tongue:

I'm in two minds about this whole thing. On the one hand I see things like Stronglifts and think "yeah, it's an efficient workout and you seem to progress quickly with it". On the other, I look at how I'm doing and I'm pleased, and I enjoy the workouts and the progress I'm making.

I've looked at deadlift varieties, but can anyone offer any decent squat varieties that would do a decent job? I quite like DB Squats.

Finally, if anyone can tell me the difference between the comments "do squats and deadlifts" and "you should do a beginner program", please do. At the minute I hit the whole body 2-3 times a week, with around 3 sets and 8-12 reps. The only difference is I've substituted out squats and deads for other things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Sheepmaster317

As for deads, I guess it's because they hit the hamstrings which leg curls do, and they have a tendency to lead to back injuries. The one thing I don't want to do is mess up my back. Dare I say it, deadlifts also seem to be an ego lift, since they're the exercise where people can lift the most weight. I don't think they do anything that I can't do with other exercises, but maybe that's just me :tongue:

It feels like you've made up your mind, but honestly it's retarded not to do deadlifts, there are no substitutes for it. Deadlifts work your whole body not just your hamstrings, they kill your core, work your lats, lower back, glutes, calves, they pretty much work your whole freaking posterior chain, and trust me you will not get any other exercise that does the same. The only way you'll get injured is if you have bad form, and thats the same with every ****ing exercise you do!
Please just get your head oot your ass and do it, it may be an ego lift but that doesnt stop it being the best exercise, period.
Original post by 0range
It feels like you've made up your mind, but honestly it's retarded not to do deadlifts, there are no substitutes for it. Deadlifts work your whole body not just your hamstrings, they kill your core, work your lats, lower back, glutes, calves, they pretty much work your whole freaking posterior chain, and trust me you will not get any other exercise that does the same. The only way you'll get injured is if you have bad form, and thats the same with every ****ing exercise you do!
Please just get your head oot your ass and do it, it may be an ego lift but that doesnt stop it being the best exercise, period.

Get your head out of your ass and understand he doesn't have to do an exercise just because you think it's the best.
It's his choice what exercises he uses and which he doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot more than the OP it would appear.

First time I've ever heard deadlifts called an ego lift. :K:
Reply 32
Original post by goldenfish
Get your head out of your ass and understand he doesn't have to do an exercise just because you think it's the best.
It's his choice what exercises he uses and which he doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

DOYOUEVENLIFT?!
Name an exercise that works almost your whole body apart from deadlift, you can even change which muscle is focused on by making the tiniest of variations on form. He came on here so he could track progress, ask questions and ask for suggestions on improvements on his routine. I'm doing the latter. So go take a poo on your hands and clap.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
A lot more than the OP it would appear.

First time I've ever heard deadlifts called an ego lift. :K:

I know, he talks about them like they're done purely for people to show off. Neglecting the fact that they're an absolute core compound exercise that are extremely beneficial. I somehow don't see how isolated exercise like leg curls are going to match what he'd get from deads...
Original post by 0range
DOYOUEVENLIFT?!
Name an exercise that works almost your whole body apart from deadlift, you can even change which muscle is focused on by making the tiniest of variations on form. He came on here so he could track progress, ask questions and ask for suggestions on improvements on his routine. I'm doing the latter. So go take a poo on your hands and clap.

No, i don't lift. I do calisthenics, isometric and plyometric exercises only. :smile:

Pull ups, pushups, Turkish getups, kettleball swings, even certain variations of squats and Leg raise, L-sit etc etc etc.
You can even change the muscles being focused by making the tiniest variations on form(!).
You make deadlifts sound as if they're the only worthwhile exercise on earth, when there's a lot of alternatives.

If you wonna help OP give him alternatives instead of being aggressive and him because he chooses not to do a certain exercise.
(edited 9 years ago)
I know, he talks about them like they're done purely for people to show off. Neglecting the fact that they're an absolute core compound exercise that are extremely beneficial. I somehow don't see how isolated exercise like leg curls are going to match what he'd get from deads...

Except that I didn't though, did I? Admittedly maybe it was wrong for me to label them an ego lift but I was frustrated that all I see is "do squats and deadlifts", "they're the best, everything else is literally a waste of time", "deadlifts or nolifts". I said from the start I wasn't interested in them and got the same replies each time I made a post. Of course I realise they work hams and glutes and whatever, like I kept saying, but then so do other things.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Only wanted to keep a track of progress but guess I'll go to install Excel to do that, or maybe good old fashioned pen and paper.
Except that I didn't though, did I? Admittedly maybe it was wrong for me to label them an ego lift but I was frustrated that all I see is "do squats and deadlifts", "they're the best, everything else is literally a waste of time", "deadlifts or nolifts". I said from the start I wasn't interested in them and got the same replies each time I made a post. Of course I realise they work hams and glutes and whatever, like I kept saying, but then so do other things.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Only wanted to keep a track of progress but guess I'll go to install Excel to do that, or maybe good old fashioned pen and paper.

The because squats and deadlifts ARE two of the most important lifts. They don't just hit hams and glutes, deads hit the entire posterior chain and squats your entire lower body and core... Aswell as improving posture and balance. You will only injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing, are unsafe or try and lift above your ability.

Abandoning a thread because someone has questioned your decision and tried to give advice isn't exactly productive is it? Isn't that what these blogs are for? To get advice and opinions aswell as track progress...?
The because squats and deadlifts ARE two of the most important lifts. They don't just hit hams and glutes, deads hit the entire posterior chain and squats your entire lower body and core... Aswell as improving posture and balance. You will only injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing, are unsafe or try and lift above your ability.

Abandoning a thread because someone has questioned your decision and tried to give advice isn't exactly productive is it? Isn't that what these blogs are for? To get advice and opinions aswell as track progress...?

I'm not saying they're not important, I'm saying I don't want to do them. Squats I will try and stick with (as I've said), but they didn't feel natural the two times I've tried them so I need to keep trying, but deadlifts don't interest me.

At the end of the day I can hit all the muscles that both exercises do with other exercises, and if I'm progressing and enjoying myself working out, I don't see why everyone has an issue with that.

It would probably just be simpler to carry on with tracking my progress here and just adding some madeup squat and deadlift sets, just to keep people happy that someone they'll never meet is doing the same exercises that they told him to do, over, and over.
Reply 38
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I'm not saying they're not important, I'm saying I don't want to do them. Squats I will try and stick with (as I've said), but they didn't feel natural the two times I've tried them so I need to keep trying, but deadlifts don't interest me.

At the end of the day I can hit all the muscles that both exercises do with other exercises, and if I'm progressing and enjoying myself working out, I don't see why everyone has an issue with that.

It would probably just be simpler to carry on with tracking my progress here and just adding some madeup squat and deadlift sets, just to keep people happy that someone they'll never meet is doing the same exercises that they told him to do, over, and over.

I don't really understand why you even made this thread. Most people get a bit of criticism about their routine at first (I got a **** tonne because my routine was absolute crap) but that's how you improve it. If you completely reject and get defensive anytime someone mentions the omissions in your routine then why come on here and announce it?

I don't think anyone gets excited about their lifts (at least not all of them!) .. Saying deadlifts don't interest you just seems like a strange excuse as it means you're having to do a lot of other accessory work to hit what you could fundamentally do all at once with deads. Lifting isn't supposed to feel comfortable or even natural at first as your body is learning motor patterns.. I mean, when do you ever squat in day to day life, let alone with the weight of a full grown adult on your back?! It comes with practice.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I didn't want to come across as a dick I was just echoing the remarks of most others here. It's up to you what you do in your routine, and it's great that you enjoy it (cos that's pretty important too!)

Quick Reply

Latest