The Student Room Group

A-Level Psychology or Chemistry???

Hi everyone!
So I am currently in the process of selecting my a-levels and I am really really stuck.
I want to study Law at University (hopefully Russell group).

The A-levels I have selected at the moment are English lit, History, Spanish and Psychology. However, I am having second thoughts about psychology and maybe I should change it to chemistry. All of my subjects are essay based and i am therefore worried that they do not effectively portray my versatility. However I am very interested in both subjects and I can not decide which one i enjoy the most or will enjoy the most. Would it be better for me to change psychology to chemistry? What is more valued? What do the top universities appreciate the most ? Any opinions or ideas?
Please help!
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
Original post by Jasminethegeek
Hi everyone!
So I am currently in the process of selecting my a-levels and I am really really stuck.
I want to study Law at University (hopefully Russell group).

The A-levels I have selected at the moment are English lit, History, Spanish and Psychology. However, I am having second thoughts about psychology and maybe I should change it to chemistry. All of my subjects are essay based and i am therefore worried that they do not effectively portray my versatility. However I am very interested in both subjects and I can not decide which one i enjoy the most or will enjoy the most. Would it be better for me to change psychology to chemistry? What is more valued? What do the top universities appreciate the most ? Any opinions or ideas?
Please help!
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Chemistry is generally considered a 'stronger' subject. Law entry requirements generally only ask for diversity in subjects, which chemistry would improve for you. Your current subjects would certainly be good enough for law, but perhaps not ideal. Chemistry cultivates logical trains of thought, which I assume is a valuable skill in a law degree (it's what people say).

Of course, you have to want to do chemistry (I think it's great, so I'd definitely go for it if I were you *bias*). Maths is also said to be highly valued, if you'd consider that (but really don't do it unless you know you can do well).
Original post by William Turtle
Chemistry is generally considered a 'stronger' subject. Law entry requirements generally only ask for diversity in subjects, which chemistry would improve for you. Your current subjects would certainly be good enough for law, but perhaps not ideal. Chemistry cultivates logical trains of thought, which I assume is a valuable skill in a law degree (it's what people say).

Of course, you have to want to do chemistry (I think it's great, so I'd definitely go for it if I were you *bias*). Maths is also said to be highly valued, if you'd consider that (but really don't do it unless you know you can do well).

Thank you so much for your recommendation and advice! I really really appreciate it and you have managed to make my decision an easier one :smile:
After doing maths and science at a level I would say that chemistry is certainly valued more and if you ever did change your mind about what course to do at university I think it would give you more flexibility. But also maths may be worth doing for law. Your other subjects are great though.

Quick Reply

Latest