The Student Room Group

Should I? What do you all think?

Hi,
I've picked to do Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English literature for A levels. Now, I got a C in Maths, C in Chemistry and C in Physics then B in English lit. I don't think these results are a true reflection of the knowledge I have in the courses however it's what the unis/jobs would look at overall. Do you think it's wise for me to do these A-levels as they are difficult subjects though I want to become an Engineer or work in the medical field.
The place that accepted me isn't known as a great school though- Bsix Brooke House Sixth Form College.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you want to be an engineer, you've done the right subjects. Are you planning to retake the year at another institution or carry on and do some retakes? You'd probably be better off re-doing the year, your A2 will be difficult enough without the pressure of retakes. Whether it's wise for you to do them, you have to question what went wrong in the first year and what held you back from achieving top grades.
Original post by Cherry82
Hi,
I've picked to do Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English literature for A levels. Now, I got a C in Maths, C in Chemistry and C in Physics then B in English lit. I don't think these results are a true reflection of the knowledge I have in the courses however it's what the unis/jobs would look at overall. Do you think it's wise for me to do these A-levels as they are difficult subjects though I want to become an Engineer or work in the medical field.

How do you think they are not a true reflection, could it be because of extenuating circumstances? There is a big jump in A-levels though, according to my friends, so be wary. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Pokémontrainer
How do you think they are not a true reflection, could it be because of extenuating circumstances? There is a big jump in A-levels though, according to my friends, so be wary. :smile:

Yea. My results seem to be different from what I was predicted which where A's but if these are a true reflection of how I did in those exams. I must admit there where things I did wrong. My study habits where awful. I would literally try and do six hours of work for one subject everyday with no breaks and how I revised for maths was, I would write notes and essay which is how you study for English. I would hardly practice maths questions. I've had this epiphany where I know where I went wrong. I stressed too much too over nothing and now know how to control that. I also had an addiction problem which I have gotten better with to the point where I don't need that thing any more. I've changed so much.
Yea. My results seem to be different from what I was predicted which where A's but if these are a true reflection of how I did in those exams. I must admit there where things I did wrong. My study habits where awful. I would literally try and do six hours of work for one subject everyday with no breaks and how I revised for maths was, I would write notes and essay which is how you study for English. I would hardly practice maths questions. I've had this epiphany where I know where I went wrong. I stressed too much too over nothing and now know how to control that. I also had an addiction problem which I have gotten better with to the point where I don't need that thing any more. I've changed so much.

Well, A-levels are much harder than GCSE so if they put you into a panic you may find yourself in the same position at A-level. If you are sure you can work calmly and effectively, and you have comprehensive base GCSE knowledge for A-level you should be able to. Try to talk with your family/friends/teachers about it before deciding as they know you and understand how you would/wouldn't cope. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Well, A-levels are much harder than GCSE so if they put you into a panic you may find yourself in the same position at A-level. If you are sure you can work calmly and effectively, and you have comprehensive base GCSE knowledge for A-level you should be able to. Try to talk with your family/friends/teachers about it before deciding as they know you and understand how you would/wouldn't cope. :smile:

Ah, it's weird, have we met before? Lol you literally just said what my teacher said to me the other day. Here's the thing, my family and head teacher don't think I am cable of doing it. They don't believe me when I say I have changed. They think I will get stressed again and panic over nothing however I'm tired or that life style and looked for solutions to come to this stage where I have improved. I think for once I am focused and organised. I am trying to think positively which is something I didn't do back then, I always used to think negatively however realised it doesn't have to be that way.
Reply 6
Thanks for your replies guys, really helpful :smile: I feel better about my whole situation too. It's kinda bugged me that I may make the wrong decision however I don't wanna make regrets and say what if at the same time since that has happened to me before.
Ah, it's weird, have we met before? Lol you literally just said what my teacher said to me the other day. Here's the thing, my family and head teacher don't think I am cable of doing it. They don't believe me when I say I have changed. They think I will get stressed again and panic over nothing however I'm tired or that life style and looked for solutions to come to this stage where I have improved. I think for once I am focused and organised. I am trying to think positively which is something I didn't do back then, I always used to think negatively however realised it doesn't have to be that way.

I think because they are close to you they want to see you've changed, and they haven't seen you change, they would know this well - living with you and seeing you everyday. However, at the end of the day, you know best and if you think you are strong enough and can handle it, do it. But if you feel even the tiniest bit stressed or pressured speak to someone; slipping back into bad habits and behaviours is very easy. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and I hope you stay strong! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest