The Student Room Group

paranoia and insecurity in relationships driving me crazy

I have had a lot of bad experiences in relationships. For example one guy told me he loved me but within a few weeks of breaking up he was on a date with a friend. Another guy was still in love with his ex the whole time we were together and another had feelings for one of their friends at the start of our relationships. There is more bad things that have happened but these are the main things. These things have haunted me for ages and I don't know how to heal when these things keep happening.

I am now 25. I took a few years break to get over my issues and have recently got into a new relationship. All of my paranoia and insecurities are coming back to the surface. He boyfriend says i am paranoid and always sees things on the negative side and assumes this worst. This worries me because this is what my last w boyfriends have said to me. My boyfriend tells me he cares about me and isnt interested in anybody else and has done things for me he hasn't done for his last gfs. He has said I mean alot to him but all I can focus on is worrying he is secretly wanting other girls.

I can't cope with these obsessive negative thoughts. Can anyone give me any advice or words of wisdom? Someone who knows how I feel?
Original post by Anonymous
I have had a lot of bad experiences in relationships.

what do you do when youre paranoid and insecure?

id talk to your boyfriend about why you're insecure. don't ever accuse your bf or stop him doing anything, but just let him know when something is playing on your mind and he should put you at ease

use your common sense too and don't get paranoid about every tiny little thing, vent to a friend if you need to
I feel for you - I have friends who are in similar situations. It's really hard when you've been hurt over and over again.

I suggest giving it time. The longer you are with someone who treats you right, the easier it will be to trust. You didn't mention whether you've been voicing your concerns to your boyfriend? I would suggest having one long chat with him about all your worries and then dropping the issue completely. If he thinks you don't trust him, he'll see it more as a reflection on your relationship and he himself instead of leftover baggage from your old relationships. You don't want him to think you're constantly dwelling in misery and doubt - you want to come across as fun and together.

The important thing to remember is that not everyone on the planet will hurt you and mistreat you. There are lots of good guys out there and you seem to have already had your fair share of bad luck so maybe this time you'll get lucky.
Reply 3
Original post by ThoughtIsFree

what do you do when youre paranoid and insecure?

id talk to your boyfriend about why you're insecure. don't ever accuse your bf or stop him doing anything, but just let him know when something is playing on your mind and he should put you at ease

use your common sense too and don't get paranoid about every tiny little thing, vent to a friend if you need to

I dont think I do but apparently I interrogate.

He has a friend that in the past he has wanted to sleep with. I spoke with him and he said he likes talking to her and is pretty but isnt interested in her. He said i should stop being paranoid as he doesnt get in relationships often and isnt interested in anyone else. He knows i dont like it that they talk but he isnt going to stop talking to her. I have been obsessing over it the last few days. Nothing i can do
I dont think I do but apparently I interrogate.

He has a friend that in the past he has wanted to sleep with. I spoke with him and he said he likes talking to her and is pretty but isnt interested in her. He said i should stop being paranoid as he doesnt get in relationships often and isnt interested in anyone else. He knows i dont like it that they talk but he isnt going to stop talking to her. I have been obsessing over it the last few days. Nothing i can do

yeah honestly you just have to trust him. unless they talk really regularly then tbh i would worry :P do you trust he loves you? focus on being happy and appreciative for everything he does for you, and focus on showing him you love him too. as long as he loves you he wont hurt you, you have to believe that
Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear you have had bad experiences and been hurt in the past. However, at 25, I'm sure you can acknowledge that it is not healthy for you (or your partners) for you to carry these scars into future relationships. When you 'interrogate' it is likely that you will hear things that will affect your feelings and ego. You also can't expect partners not to talk to friends; it's unrealistic, unfair and nobody is going to respect a control freak. When you make demands, first you should think how you would (honestly) feel if the same was asked of you. You cannot hold your present boyfriend responsible for the sins of your previous boyfriends. This is not to say that your present boyfriend is not now or ever will be, in a given situation ,a complete douche. However, you get to choose whether you spend your days together paranoid and miserable or enjoy your relationship in a trusting, mutually respectful manner until such a time as you feel you need to re- assess. If he is making you unhappy, even after some self reflection and evaluation then the relationship will not work regardless of his 'actual' fidelity. I hope you find happiness and peace with your insecurities , most men really aren't dirtbags x
Reply 6
yeah honestly you just have to trust him. unless they talk really regularly then tbh i would worry :P do you trust he loves you? focus on being happy and appreciative for everything he does for you, and focus on showing him you love him too. as long as he loves you he wont hurt you, you have to believe that

We haven't said the L word to each other yet. I don't think he feels that strong for me yet :-/ which is another worry. I know what you mean though and I will try to keep focusing on the positive.
Reply 7
Original post by scarecrowdiploma
Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear you have had bad experiences and been hurt in the past. However, at 25, I'm sure you can acknowledge that it is not healthy for you (or your partners) for you to carry these scars into future relationships. When you 'interrogate' it is likely that you will hear things that will affect your feelings and ego. You also can't expect partners not to talk to friends; it's unrealistic, unfair and nobody is going to respect a control freak. When you make demands, first you should think how you would (honestly) feel if the same was asked of you. You cannot hold your present boyfriend responsible for the sins of your previous boyfriends. This is not to say that your present boyfriend is not now or ever will be, in a given situation ,a complete douche. However, you get to choose whether you spend your days together paranoid and miserable or enjoy your relationship in a trusting, mutually respectful manner until such a time as you feel you need to re- assess. If he is making you unhappy, even after some self reflection and evaluation then the relationship will not work regardless of his 'actual' fidelity. I hope you find happiness and peace with your insecurities , most men really aren't dirtbags x

Yes I do recognise it is not healthy hence the post. I have never told him not to talk to them but there is 1 I feel uncomfortable with as he nearly slept with her just before we started dating.

I feel like I can't control my paranoia. I dont know how to get over my insecurities :frown: I dont know what I can do to stop it.
We haven't said the L word to each other yet. I don't think he feels that strong for me yet :-/ which is another worry. I know what you mean though and I will try to keep focusing on the positive.

how long have you been together? :tongue:
Reply 9
how long have you been together? :tongue:

It has been 6 months since we started dating.
Yes I do recognise it is not healthy hence the post. I have never told him not to talk to them but there is 1 I feel uncomfortable with as he nearly slept with her just before we started dating.

I feel like I can't control my paranoia. I dont know how to get over my insecurities :frown: I dont know what I can do to stop it.

Good morning. I understand it is hard when you have been hurt in the past to trust your own instincts. Have any of these men actually cheated on you ? You have mentioned their behaviour before or after you were dating or what they claim were their feelings during your relationship, but 'confessed' after. When you feel you have been lied to, it is understandable that you would be cautious after. It is when this turns into the spiral of paranoia etc that it needs to be addressed . You seem to be at this point now , hence your post. I understand the feeling of 'what ifs', and picking at the scab can become addictive ...even self indulgent. What is the worst thing that can happen if you imagine these 'what ifs' to their finality ? ...and then what would happen after? If this guy is a douche , then he is going to be one regardless of how much you are torturing yourself by thinking about all the ways he could hurt you. The only thing you can do is deal with the eventuality if it occurs (i.e move on!)
It sounds simplistic but can I suggest a distraction whenever you are feeling like this. The moment you start imagining what your bf might/ would/ could do then go and do something to occupy your mind. If you want to limit a thought process then a physical intervention can quite often be effective.
Also think about the things that he does and attributes that are positive..... If these are few or make you think '....Meh' ...then maybe you do need to go fishing for a better 'fish'. May I ask, does he just talk to this girl or openly flirt with her ( laughing and banter is not the same as flirting). x
Original post by scarecrowdiploma
Good morning. I understand it is hard when you have been hurt in the past to trust your own instincts. Have any of these men actually cheated on you ? You have mentioned their behaviour before or after you were dating or what they claim were their feelings during your relationship, but 'confessed' after. When you feel you have been lied to, it is understandable that you would be cautious after. It is when this turns into the spiral of paranoia etc that it needs to be addressed . You seem to be at this point now , hence your post. I understand the feeling of 'what ifs', and picking at the scab can become addictive ...even self indulgent. What is the worst thing that can happen if you imagine these 'what ifs' to their finality ? ...and then what would happen after? If this guy is a douche , then he is going to be one regardless of how much you are torturing yourself by thinking about all the ways he could hurt you. The only thing you can do is deal with the eventuality if it occurs (i.e move on!)
It sounds simplistic but can I suggest a distraction whenever you are feeling like this. The moment you start imagining what your bf might/ would/ could do then go and do something to occupy your mind. If you want to limit a thought process then a physical intervention can quite often be effective.
Also think about the things that he does and attributes that are positive..... If these are few or make you think '....Meh' ...then maybe you do need to go fishing for a better 'fish'. May I ask, does he just talk to this girl or openly flirt with her ( laughing and banter is not the same as flirting). x

Thank you for the detailed reply.
As far as I know I haven't been cheated on physically while being in an official relationship. It is mainly lies, emotional infedility and being used for company/sex. I have realised the only reason why I dont trust my boyfriend is because of my past as I dont worry about cheating i worry about how he feels about me and others.

I know what you saying, and you are right. I also know that the more paranoid i am the more likely bad things will happen. Its not so much even a paranoid thought, I just obsess and continuously replay things in my head. Even nice things that he says, as if my mind cant understand any of it. Maybe I have developed an sub concious association between relationships and anxiety.

I will try to do something physical to keep occupied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending