The Student Room Group

Access to he science

Hi guys im starting an access course in a few weeks in the hope to applying for physics at RHUL as I live fairly close, I was just wondering has anyone taking this route and would be able to give me some advice on the grades I need etc. Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Also, im slightly worried about my current level fo maths I took an assessment at the college and got a level 2 but they said this is fine; im just wondering if I will struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I'm starting physics at RHUL this month after doing an Access course (Engineering pathway). RHUL have a standard offer of 30 distinctions and 15 merits across all courses. For physics the 30 distinctions "must include maths and physics units". I thought the wording was a bit vague: I wasn't sure if they meant all my maths and physics units had to be distinctions, or just some of them, so that's something you may want to clarify.

After they received my application, I had a bit of back and forth by email with the admissions tutor, who wanted more information about the maths content of the Access course. I sent her a list of all the modules, and she asked for more detail about the calculus module. It was only after she was satisfied that I would be able to cope with the maths content, that I was invited for interview. I would advise you to try and get details about your course from the college now, and forward them to the admissions tutor at RHUL, along with an enquiry as to whether it would satisfy their requirements.

If they don't, you have a few other options:
- try to find another college with more appropriate content, or
- take an extra year to follow up your access course with self-studied maths A Level, or
- apply to another university that offers a foundation year.

My last piece of advice is to start practising higher tier GCSE maths before the start of college, or if you feel you are comfortable with that, work through the first few chapters of an AS level textbook. This will enable you to hit the ground running, and will help you to get distinctions right from the beginning.

Best of luck.
Reply 3
Thank you for you response, much appreciated. Im doing my access at Kingston college and I believe it Involves calculus, I think there's around 24units on maths so I hope this is sufficient. Ive been doing self revision of most higher gcse modules over the summer, also the key areas in biology, chemistry and physics. They gave me a sheet about what to revise so we can "hit the ground running". Where did you do your access and what units in maths did you cover? Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
24 maths units sounds good. That's what we did too. It consisted of:

Algebra (3 units)
Algebraic Manipulation and Methods (6 units)
Trigonometry (3 units)
Algebra of Real and Complex Numbers (3 units)
Calculus (6 units)
Vectors and Matrices (3 units)

Our examining body was OCN London. You can find a list of all the possible modules for maths/Engineering here: http://www.ocnlondon.org.uk/access-to-he/ROC/Generic%20RoCs%20&%20Approved%20Unit%20List%20-%20Engineering.pdf

I went to Highbury College, near Portsmouth.
Reply 5
Thank you, I emailed RHUL about info and they want me to send where im studying what units and modules before they can tell me the entry requirements, just hope its enough. People from last year have gone onto RHUL to do physics from this course so I expect it would be sufficient.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, that's good to know. I was worried I was going to be the only mature student in the department!
Reply 7
Nah you wont be; and hopefully il be there next year :smile:, im hoping to get distinctions across the board, I dont have a job as I recently lost it; and my last course a btec level2 in engineering I got Distinctions on all subjects, ive been hearing it can be a high work load at times, is there any truth in this?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope to see you there next year. :smile: Your engineering BTEC should help, especially with the physics modules. Distinctions in everything is certainly possible, but you will need to be organised and prepared to work hard. I found the workload heavy to start with, then it slackened off a bit after Christmas, then went crazy from around Easter time. The people who'd missed deadlines on earlier work were completely overwhelmed by the end of the course, and even those of us who had kept up were going full-out by May. It was great though - I really enjoyed the course.
Reply 9
Im hoping the engineering course does help, Im hopefully going to get atleast the minimum distinctions for RHUL, but im hoping to get more. Hopefully the workload doesn't get to much, now I've got the heads up i should be able to keep on top of it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending