The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
fishpaste
I also think CT was really enjoyable and interesting to learn.
Absolutely.
Reply 21
gemma.....
That is strange, because considering their own LAW tests are based around Critical thinking (more or less), isn't it a bit contradictory of them to say oh well it doesn't make you have advantages to have studied a subject that is based around our own law tests?

Mind you that is the same scenario as the "don't study as law" when you want to be a lawyer?? :confused: all very baflfing ot me! :tongue:

CT might help you with the law tests (though they are designed so that preparatory work can only help to a certain extent) but you could then argue that their entrance tests replace Critical Thinking making it unnecessary for entrance.

Basically, don't expect CT to help greatly when applying for Law at Oxbridge.

And yes, as many as 33% of solicitors do not hold a law degree, and many lawyers think that the best lawyers have a non-law first degree, it is all rather confusing.
Reply 22
Adhsur
I think Critical Thinking is favoured regardless - it is an extra exam result which shows deep analytical skills and not just textbook-cram. I'm sure things like working out subtle flaws in reasoning would be very useful for subjects like Law, Philosophy, or any subject for that matter.

But this was advice given to someone who was choosing whether to do AS CT. They were told by tutors not to do that at the expense of other A-levels as it won't really be advantageous.
Reply 23
Lord Huntroyde
But this was advice given to someone who was choosing whether to do AS CT. They were told by tutors not to do that at the expense of other A-levels as it won't really be advantageous.
Oh I don't think it should be done at the expense of other subjects, but as an extra it's great.
Reply 24
Adhsur
Oh I don't think it should be done at the expense of other subjects, but as an extra it's great.

That's fair enough, I was only relaying what we were told so I couldn't fully justify their reasons, but it does look like an interesting AS-level, unfortunately, my school does not offer it.
Reply 25
:rolleyes: I'm now going to contradict myself and say, probably the person who originally started the thread shouldn't do it instead of other as levels..because the only reason i am doing one is for an extra curricular activity.. and maybe other as levels are more VALUABLE
Also if i'd never received a letter saying as ct, i don't think i would have ever have heard of it lol !!
Reply 26
I would be doing it as an extra - I just figured since I would be at boarding school I wouldn't be doing much except study *shudder*. Thanks for all the input, I'm going to try to take it, it just depends on whether my parents think it will be 'overloading'. It doesn't seem like too much work though.
Reply 27
angietash
I would be doing it as an extra - I just figured since I would be at boarding school I wouldn't be doing much except study *shudder*. Thanks for all the input, I'm going to try to take it, it just depends on whether my parents think it will be 'overloading'. It doesn't seem like too much work though.

it's really not, i attended about half of my lessons (1 hr 20 a week) + we were doing key skills communication in the same period, i didn't even know what the exam fromat was going to be like and i got a C. if you're good at analysing and evaluating things you will not find it difficult.

lou xxx
Reply 28
to me at least, it seems as though the skills mentioned for ct are exactly the same as the skills used for the sources in history. i personally think history would be better, because (i at least think) it is interesting and is regarded more highly.

Latest