The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Changing your degree - Korean and Japanese

How easy is it to change your degree once you start the year? I've been reading more about the course I'm doing (TTG4/BA Korean and Japanese; feel stupid for not doing it before I applied) and seems like it focuses more on Japanese rather than Korean - can someone please confirm it?

If that's the case I'd consider changing to BA Korean and Japanese Studies but I want to know whether it's possible or not :/

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
Yeah you can change pretty easily, as long as you make a good case why you're changing. Just go to the first weeks classes and then tell the department heads what you want to do and why and they should be ok with it.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Korean can only be studied as a minor with Japanese at SOAS
With Japanese studies BA you won't get a year abroad (in Japan) and your Japanese won't be as good as someone doing a Japanese BA. But if Korea is the country you are most interested in, go for it
According to the SOAS website, you can do Korean and Japanese Studies with a year abroad in Korea. I've heard of people emailing the school to change courses before classes start, so you should try it if you're sure you want to change.
I have a friend minoring in Japanese and majoring in Korean so it can be done. Email the faculty and they can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending