The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS or Brunel

Stuck between SOAS and Brunel, studying Economics. Like Brunel campus better but SOAS has better location and seems more prestigious.
Original post by username1592
Stuck between SOAS and Brunel, studying Economics. Like Brunel campus better but SOAS has better location and seems more prestigious.
Hey! I’m at SOAS doing my undergrad in econ now, and I think it’s worth considering that the campus is relatively smaller because of the location - and in turn you get to easily access the campus for all other central London unis as well.

Also I think ultimately the choice depends on the course, and the SOAS econ course is so distinct because of how many different schools of thought they go into, and how diverse the specialities of the faculty are. Plus you get a lot of access to the staff, which you don’t at other universities, because the staff is picked on wanting to teach not just wanting to research - so that translates to a really good learning experience. Just speaking for the econ department, don’t know about the others!

Shloka
BSc Economics
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Hi there,

Great to hear you're considering Brunel to study Economics.

Our economics degree is accredited by ACCA and CIMA, and grads will receive exemptions from professional papers should they wish to continue their study to become a chartered accountant. The skills you’ll gain from your Brunel degree are highly valued by employers and will prepare you for a wide range of career and postgrad study options in the areas of economics, business and finance.

On the course students have the opportunity to experience what it is like to operate on the trading floor of a stock exchange, face the 'press' in mock press conferences and participate in a wide variety of events. There are also student run societies which provide company visits, careers workshops and insight into organisations through networking events and talks. They also have their fair share of fun taking part in regular dinners, socials, bowling and the list goes on!

The campus itself has a really great community feel - I guess you've already seen that for yourself!? But there's loads of food places, sports clubs etc. right at your finger tips! You’ve also got great travel links just 20 minutes from Heathrow airport and 40 minutes from central London.

If you've received an offer you should be invited to our applicant day on 10th April, I'd highly recommend going along as you can get a real feel for what life is like at Brunel!

All the best,

Sophie
(Brunel Student Rep)
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending