The Student Room Group

My Grades :o

Right, well after wasting a year of my life at college doing random subjects that got me nowhere i decided to pick things up. As a child i was interested in two things, Architecture and Medicine. So, naturally i looked into both of them.. and i was researching medicine i came across this rather helpful forum. To cut a long story short.. i ended up getting 4 Bs + 7 Cs.

From what i gather, the important ones are English Language + Maths. Both.. in which i got a C in. Our school made us take Science (double award) which i then got a B in.

Basically, is there any point in thinking about applying to a med school? or should i give up and carry on with something else? :confused:

EDIT:

I should probably add, i do think i have the ability to get the AAB/B for a levels. And, i can resit the Maths + Language option.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think u shud carry on with something else.sorry..
medicine is sooo. tough..i think you would really struggle to even get an interview.
best to check individual unis prospecti though.
Reply 2
Dont Give Up!!!
Reply 3
go for architecture
Reply 4
I have similar GCSE grades and think I have a realistic chance of getting an offer. You have to remember that there are many routes in medicine. I myself am applying as a graduate, but there are also foundation courses and other such access schemes which you could look into. If you were REALLY determined that this is what you wanted to do, then it is possible. However, you have to be prepared to possibly go the long way around.
Reply 5
nikk
I have similar GCSE grades and think I have a realistic chance of getting an offer. You have to remember that there are many routes in medicine. I myself am applying as a graduate, but there are also foundation courses and other such access schemes which you could look into. If you were REALLY determined that this is what you wanted to do, then it is possible. However, you have to be prepared to possibly go the long way around.

Can you go into ferther detail about applying as a graduate?.. I was also aware of the foundation courses, but i couldn't find a uni that offered it (saying that, i didn't look very hard).
Reply 6
I would firstly ignore the first post above. Think about how much you want to do medicine, to be honest from your post you don't seem overly committed, but it's not exactly something that's easy to judge from one post on a forum - and I don't know you.

Basically thoses GCSE results will severly limit your choices of med school which you meet the minimum requirement, though there are a few, and with decent A level results you stand a fighting chance.

However, competition is fierce, and so you will need to make up for your relatively low passes with extra-curricular activities, work experience and enthusiasm for medicine. I would also help to interview well! With a good PS, reference from your school/college and predicted grades there is no reason why you should be put off applying.

Without wanting to put a downer on it, how would you feel about resitting some subjects (namely maths, science and english) to attempt to boost your grades. Some unis aren't overly happy with this, but if you ask individual admissions teams, and emphasise that you are doing it because of your desire to do medicine, they may be able to advise.

Medicine isn't an academically tough course, but it can be a slog, and getting your foot in the door can take some real hard graft - but if you are prepared to put in the effort there is no reason why you should be disheartened yet :smile:

Also, there is always the graduate entry, pre-med or access to med courses which would perhaps suit your situation. Though as I stated initially, it all depends on your commitment to medicine

edit: SEE SIG for lots of handy info :wink:
Reply 7
Mush1
Can you go into ferther detail about applying as a graduate?.. I was also aware of the foundation courses, but i couldn't find a uni that offered it (saying that, i didn't look very hard).

The specific details of courses and their requirements varies quite a lot between medical schools, and so you would have to check it out yourself for more information.

But basically, if you apply to a normal 5 year course as a graduate, many universities will exempt you from their normal GCSE and A-level requirements (on the logic that they were taken a long time ago and that your degree is the best indicator of your academic abilities). However, the majority of universities I have looked at do require either a pass at Biology and Chemistry A-levels, or proof that your degree covers these subject to at least that level.

Alternatively, as a graduate, you can apply for 'graduate entry programmes' which are 4 years in length rather than 5 years, and are specifically aimed at graduates. Many GEPs will ask for a 2:1 or above in a relevant subject (which will be listed on their website), but they do tend to be very compeititive.

However, before you intentionally set out on the road to graduate entry, do your homework. It is far from the ideal way to get into medical school. Not only will it cost you 3 years worth of time and money, but there is no guarantee that you will be accepted into medicine as a graduate. In addition, you will have to fund the tuition fees for the 2nd degree yourself, as the government will only pay for your first degree.

If I were you then I would look into foundation courses. :smile: Having said that, I don't regret taking the route I did, because I have gained alot from my current degree that I think would help me in a career in medicine (and the training to get there!). Anyway, good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
j00ni
I would firstly ignore the first post above. Think about how much you want to do medicine, to be honest from your post you don't seem overly committed, but it's not exactly something that's easy to judge from one post on a forum - and I don't know you.

Basically thoses GCSE results will severly limit your choices of med school which you meet the minimum requirement, though there are a few, and with decent A level results you stand a fighting chance.

However, competition is fierce, and so you will need to make up for your relatively low passes with extra-curricular activities, work experience and enthusiasm for medicine. I would also help to interview well! With a good PS, reference from your school/college and predicted grades there is no reason why you should be put off applying.

Without wanting to put a downer on it, how would you feel about resitting some subjects (namely maths, science and english) to attempt to boost your grades. Some unis aren't overly happy with this, but if you ask individual admissions teams, and emphasise that you are doing it because of your desire to do medicine, they may be able to advise.

Medicine isn't an academically tough course, but it can be a slog, and getting your foot in the door can take some real hard graft - but if you are prepared to put in the effort there is no reason why you should be disheartened yet :smile:

Also, there is always the graduate entry, pre-med or access to med courses which would perhaps suit your situation. Though as I stated initially, it all depends on your commitment to medicine

edit: SEE SIG for lots of handy info :wink:

I'd have no issue resitting my GCSE's. Although i wouldn't really want to resit my science exams as i'll be doing them for my A levels. Currently my school only offer 2 resits for GCSE, Maths and English. On monday i'll ask them about that.

Another thing that confused me was:

We do not accept candidates who are taking A Levels over three years but candidates may resit modules within years 12 and 13.

Does that mean they don't want a course to strech over 2 years or that they want you do all 3 a2 + a.s. levels within 2 years?

Edit:

Thanks for the replies btw. :smile:
Reply 9
basically it means that you have to complete all your AS/A2s within 2 years - but can resit modules as many times as you wish within that period
carry on with somthing else.
or......... redo all your GCSE's and then do AS/A levels. even then............
Reply 11
general-david
carry on with somthing else.
or......... redo all your GCSE's and then do AS/A levels. even then............

Huh, are you serious or just being an unhelpful troll?

If the op really wants to do medicine, he/she does have a good chance if they put the effort in, and there are a number of options as discussed above
Reply 12
try some evening classes for your gcse's and work really hard on ur A-levels - then you may be able to hit two birds with one stone, but it wont be easy.
Reply 13
oh yh...i am also retaking my english lang during my gap year so i stand a good chance - hope that helps.
Yes generally for medicine you do need strong grades.
Reply 15
aint got a chance mate
move on
harsh but just dont want u to waste ur time
go and do summin else
Reply 16
fraid your grades seem like theyd give you a disadvantage..if you really really wanna do medicine, you could look up the access course for GKT (guys king and st thomas') see if you qualitfy for that. its a course for 7 years i think, its a good bet for ppl with lower grades. id try otehr medicine courses if my AS scores are all A's and yeah, do loadsa loadsa extra curricular, work experience (all you can get) to show that you are an all rounder. and write the most amazing UCAS personal statement ever..cos medicine is so tough to get into, being so over subscribed.
Reply 17
ash213
aint got a chance mate
move on
harsh but just dont want u to waste ur time
go and do summin else

WTF? How can you possibly know that? True the OP will be at a disadvantage, but to say he doesn't have a chance is madness. Quite apart from the various alternative ways of getting into medicine (GEP, Access/Pre med, etc), those grades don't preclude the op from direct entry onto a few courses.

To dismiss their chances so out of hand is ridiculous, and I hope someday someone is equally supportive of something you want to do :rolleyes:
Reply 18
You'll have to check individual medical schools to see what their minimum GCSE requirements are. Some don't look too closely at GCSEs so maybe you have a shot, but you'll probably need to show that you are capable of top grades at A level ie. predictions and also AS grades. Maybe a good score on the new uk entrance exam for medicine will help. If you really want to be a doctor, don't give up. Theres always graduate entry or access courses. I know for Leeds there is the Bradford Clinical Sciences course which can get you onto either 1st or 2nd year medicine at Leeds. Its very competitive though. Also theres a foundation programme at the University of Leeds itself which is designed for older students I believe but still it might be worth checking out. I know someone who did it and it can get you entry onto loads of courses at Leeds, including medicine. Heres the website http://www.leeds.ac.uk/cjh/SF.htm
Reply 19
You're going to have to resit your English Language and Maths at least.

A lot of med schools ask for a minimum of B in English and Maths at GCSE. Without those it's going to be a lot harder to do.

You're going to need a lot more dedication too.

Latest

Trending

Trending