The Student Room Group

Driving in big city after learning in small town?

So my home is in a small town and I recently learnt to drive and pass there. Today I drove into Leeds, which I'm gonna say is a big city. I found the experience quite horrific, there was one big busy junction from one road to another and I sort of panicked and ran a red light. I await my 3 points :angry: But in general I just didn't like any of roads there. So many cars/people/cameras and lanes going off in every direction and weird ring roads /one ways / city centre motorways you don't get in small places.

This now makes me very wary of driving into other big cities like Manchester or God Forbid, London. Anyone else feel the same way?
It is very daunting at first. The first time I drove around London was not a very enjoyable experience. I find that people have a much more aggressive driving style in cities. I'm used to driving in and around big cities now since I go to uni near London and my girlfriend goes to Cardiff. It becomes less daunting each time you do it, so much so that it doesn't intimidate me the slightest anymore.
Absolutely terrifying! I learnt in the suburbs of London and driving round central London is terrifying. I have to say though the worst experience I have had and regularly have is the drive through Paris. Many many more lanes, a lot of motorbikes that believe they own the road, the French for some reason change lanes like its going out of fashion and of course, I'm sure once they see the UK numberplate they have a fee tactics to show you!
Original post by thisistheend
So my home is in a small town and I recently learnt to drive and pass there. Today I drove into Leeds, which I'm gonna say is a big city. I found the experience quite horrific, there was one big busy junction from one road to another and I sort of panicked and ran a red light. I await my 3 points :angry: But in general I just didn't like any of roads there. So many cars/people/cameras and lanes going off in every direction and weird ring roads /one ways / city centre motorways you don't get in small places.

This now makes me very wary of driving into other big cities like Manchester or God Forbid, London. Anyone else feel the same way?

I learned to drive in London and I actually find the junctions etc make things easier for some reason. The traffic sort of sweeps you along and driving becomes a very brainless and automated experience. In small towns etc you actually have to pay more attention at times since you cant just go with the flow.

It's just the scale that's daunting you I think
Original post by Huskaris
Absolutely terrifying! I learnt in the suburbs of London and driving round central London is terrifying. I have to say though the worst experience I have had and regularly have is the drive through Paris. Many many more lanes, a lot of motorbikes that believe they own the road, the French for some reason change lanes like its going out of fashion and of course, I'm sure once they see the UK numberplate they have a fee tactics to show you!

I dont understand why. The traffic moves at a snails pace and the rules are clear as daylight. Suppose the bus lanes can be awkward.

The French are terrible drivers imho. Drive through France quite regularly and am infuriated normally with some of the bull**** they pull. No concept of unwritten road etiquette at all. If I am going to die in a road accident, it will be from some French lorry driver ramming me off the road in Calais.

The English in general are fantastic drivers tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Leeds is awful to drive round generally, first (and only) time I drove there I ended up taking wrong turn after wrong turn, getting in the wrong lane etc. There's an underpass followed by a huge roundabout that's very vaguely signposted :s-smilie:
Original post by Zürich
I dont understand why. The traffic moves at a snails pace and the rules are clear as daylight. Suppose the bus lanes can be awkward.

The French are terrible drivers imho. Drive through France quite regularly and am infuriated normally with some of the bull**** they pull. No concept of unwritten road etiquette at all. If I am going to die in a road accident, it will be from some French lorry driver ramming me off the road in Calais.

The English in general are fantastic drivers tbh.

I agree with you largely but central London driving can be nerve wracking at times. I agree with you on French drivers although I find their motorway etiquette (never hog the "fast lane") much better than ours.

Funnily enough last time I went to France the only experience I had of nearly being killed (and I drive 8 hours south in France) was on The drive home to London from Dover. SME guy in a transit van indicated right to come into my lane and looked in his wing mirror but didn't look in his real mirror and see me beneath him. I ended up partly in the central reservation with the brakes slammed on. I could have killed the ****.
Reply 7
My best advice is to use a good quality satnav i.e a tomtom...keep a good lookout,think well ahead,always signal and if in doubt,dont..
Reply 8
Just need practise, I had to go through london a few times untill i felt comfotable.

and most traffic lights dont have actual cameras on top so 3 points is very unlikley.
Original post by ak_93
Just need practise, I had to go through london a few times untill i felt comfotable.

and most traffic lights dont have actual cameras on top so 3 points is very unlikley.

There was a very tall grey pole with a camera on top. It was taller than a street lamp even.
Reply 10
Original post by thisistheend
There was a very tall grey pole with a camera on top. It was taller than a street lamp even.

Sounds to me like a general observation CCTV camera. Traffic signal cameras are usually a bit shorter than traffic lights, grey, and aimed from a very head on position at the point where cars pass when running a light.
Only awkward place driving in London is Hyde park corner, and after a while you get use to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I learnt in Leeds, I live in Leeds and I still find driving in Leeds centre a quite frankly awful experience.
Never really found it a problem, just stay calm and drive at your own pace and use your common sense.

The only issue I ever came across was encountering a magic roundabout, admittedly using it wasn't the problem but the road signs about it made it more intimidating than it really was :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending