The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Well from what I've seen, there seem to be a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese. Not really an abundance of any other ethnicity (other than white obviously). I'd say it's probably around "normal" although perhaps bigger, city-based Unis might have greater diversity.
University of York
York
Reply 2
englishstudent
Well from what I've seen, there seem to be a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese. Not really an abundance of any other ethnicity (other than white obviously). I'd say it's probably around "normal" although perhaps bigger, city-based Unis might have greater diversity.

Sorry mate, are you at the university? as it sounds as though maybe you've only seen pictures? could you elaborate on what it is you have seen please? I'm also interested in studying here
thanks
Reply 3
You can probably find out factual information about the ethnic diversity of the university if you look around on the university website. Their prospectus will probably have this sort of information there.

As a student there, I've noticed that the vast majority of overseas students either asian, mostly chinese. To a smaller extent, there seem to be lots of europeans there, mostly greeks. As for latinos, arabs or africans, well there either aren't any or they hide really well because I've only seen 3 or 4 this entire year.
w00tt
Sorry mate, are you at the university? as it sounds as though maybe you've only seen pictures? could you elaborate on what it is you have seen please? I'm also interested in studying here
thanks

I'm at York (have been for a year). York is perhaps not the most diverse campus in Britain in terms of ethnicity, but there are people from most parts of the world here I'd imagine and, what's more important really, it seems there are very few (if any!) race-related incidents.
Reply 5
englishstudent
it seems there are very few (if any!) race-related incidents.

In fact, I'd say there haven't been any incidents at all.
Astaroth
In fact, I'd say there haven't been any incidents at all.

Well yeah... but I wasn't 100%
Reply 7
do you get many asians there? i.e indian etc?

im not one to stick around with only asians.. i prefer to hav a mix of friends but i'd just like to know wat its like.. do you get a mixture of races in groups?
Reply 8
Not many indians at all, as I said already the vast majority are chinese. That does mean that sometimes the chinese people tend to stick together but they are as friendly as anyone. Really, you can expect to have as diverse a group of friends as you want it to be as long as you are friendly and open-minded. It is almost definite that the house/flat you will be living in will be as diverse as possible, in terms of both ethnic background but also academic. York makes a point of mixing it up as much as possible, so even though York IS a predominantly british uni, you will get to meet people from all over the world, and that's pretty cool in most cases.
Reply 9
According to the official university stats:
White 94%
Mixed 1.86%
Asian 2.01%
Black 0.89%
Other 1.25%

All these are broken down further but these are the main groups. This is for home students and so doesnt take into account international students so the other %'s will be higher as for example there are 612 international students from China.
Reply 10
I graduated this year, never heard anything about race related problems. Although the minorities, especially the Chinese (now dont go sending me loads of emails calling me Hitler) at least in my department didnt tend to mix, they mostly hung around with each other, after the first term I gave up trying to make conversation with them. I think they care more about there work than anything else, although to be fair they have to work harder to and longer to understand being taught in a foriegn language so fair play.
they were calling you Hitler? lol, why?
I graduated this year, never heard anything about race related problems. Although the minorities, especially the Chinese (now dont go sending me loads of emails calling me Hitler) at least in my department didnt tend to mix, they mostly hung around with each other, after the first term I gave up trying to make conversation with them. I think they care more about there work than anything else, although to be fair they have to work harder to and longer to understand being taught in a foriegn language so fair play.

Out of interest how easy/hard is it for a Chinese person to make friends with home students? I really don't intend to only hang around with international students while at York, as I've been studying here for about ten years now and have British friends as well as friends from other countries. However at my senior school people were divided into two groups- british and international, and it was genuinely very hard to talk to a british person if you were an international student. There was a lot of animosity between the two groups, and I didn't really get along with the international crowd either. I really don't want York to be like my old school, urgh...
Reply 13
im holding an offer at york for maths but the only thing holding me back is the thought of not being able to mix with the white british crowd and not making friends there.

Does anyone who goes to york have good friends outside of their own cultural background?
Reply 14
I have a chinese friend and a Canadian friend (admittedly she's white, but she's got a VERY different cultural background to ours). Personally I've had no trouble mixing with other ethnic backgrounds where they've wanted to mix with me - it's probably the case with most students at York.
Reply 15
During my first year I used to hang out with some Arab people, one of them was my flatmate. As far as I know, most of the Arab people found in York are doing medicine.

You seem to be very concerned about that specific matter...
Reply 16
im holding an offer at york for maths but the only thing holding me back is the thought of not being able to mix with the white british crowd and not making friends there.

Does anyone who goes to york have good friends outside of their own cultural background?

I had Israeli, french, german, Indian and Thai friends

Latest