The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance?

In my AS levels I got

A- Eng Lit
A- Maths
Low B- Bio
High C- Chem

My predicted grades are AABB, the two B's in the two sciences.

I have done one work of work experience at a hospital (its so hard to get w.e) and I went to Medlink and I help run a Medical Society in my school.

Is there any point in me applying to medicine?

I'm thinking of maybe doing physiology or neuroscience but I don't know what jobs you can get with those degrees. Do physiologists work for the NHS?
Reply 1
What GCSEs did you get?

Any chance of begging your teachers to proedict you A's? Get a serious resit plan with them, work hard now and they might. Get parents invovled if you have to.
Reply 2
No there is no chance of begging my teachers.

I got 7 A*s and 5 As at GCSE...
Reply 3
well you need aaa predicitons, you will probs need to disaggregate (hide your as results).
a friend of mine got c in chem and hid the score--hes at medicine at cardiff this year, and he didnt have as good gcses as you
Reply 4
Do you want to be a doctor?

If the answer's yes then of course there's a point - medical schools aren't going to come & chase you & beg you to study there! :p: Absolute worse case scenario outcome of your application - you don't get in first time round & move onto plan B which might involve medicine via another route.

Try the societies for the subject/university prospectuses or websites for the job destinations of their graduates, I've already posted one link in your other thread. But for plenty it can just be used as "a degree" - the specific content isn't what's relevant, it's the transferrable skills you've acquired & mark you get, then you can use it to go into any graduate level job or do further study e.g. civil service, teaching, banking, law...

If you're keen to work in healthcare/for the NHS then you don't necessarily have to go an academic science degree route - have you considered professions allied to medicine - e.g. nursing? radiography? audiology? occupational therapy? pharmacy? your work experience so far would be useful for those too.
Reply 5
I spoke to my head of year at my school and she said my ambitions to do medicine are not very realistic with these AS grades.

The other option is to try to raise my A level grades and then take a gap year and reapply. The thing is I find Chemistry a very very hard subject.
I am going to have to resit 2 modules and work really really hard this year.

If you take a gap year and have sufficient grades, are you more likely to get in? Do Medical schools like gap years?
Reply 6
If you still want to do medicine...it be best if you do some work experience (GP)...and some voluntary work (care home, hospice)..good luck
Reply 7
Yes you do stand a chance!
I reckon your predicted grades would meet the minimum requirements at quite a lot of unis. Just try your best and push the chemistry to at least a B (or A if it is required at some unis). Other than that you are doing quite well. The predicted grades will be sent to the unis which is also a plus side and since your GCSE's are BRILLIANT you don't have to worry about them at all. Oh yeah, don't forget work experience is REALLY REALLY important, even if it for a short length of time the unis are bound to look at it first on your personal statement. I would suggest trying to get a place at a nearby nursing home to help increase your chances of getting a place.

Latest

Trending

Trending