The Student Room Group

What made you go back? What did you do?

Tell me your reasons for returning to education and what you went back to do. Your story. Road bumps and all.

I'm curious and I'm beginning on my journey back to education next year at 27 (will be 28) hoping to go into graphic design.
Im due to start next week on an access course, I'm pretty nervous but excited too, basically i came out of school with 3 gcses and a btec 13 years ago, and drifted from job to job and have been really lucky and travelled the world and have had some amazing experiences and shared them with some amazing people. However the last 2 years things have gone a bit downhill and i ended up in a bit of a rut, but things came to a head last boxing day at 4am, I was working in a restaurant at the time and i was cleaning out the chip fryers, i was covered in chip fat and smelt just minging, when i thought "surely theres more to life than this?" so I decided that I would go back to Education and get a degree. So I applied to do an access course and then go onto a degree course. I'm 30 now so I'm gonna be 34 when i graduate which is daunting, but at the same time I think that the time is right to study now, when i was younger I wasn't interested in education and the way i look at it most students take a gap year - whereas I've taken a gap decade!!
Reply 2
I enjoy getting drunk all the time and hanging around with gawjus women.
Reply 3
Sounds like a good reason to get educated. I had been a travel agent for 10 years. Only have GCSE's and NVQ 2 & 3 in travel. I now have a one year old. I decided if I went back to work in my old job I would end up paying most of my wages in childcare. I figured if I want a better paid job that I enjoy I need to go to University. I've started an Access to Sciences Course and work in a shop at weekends. What are you studying? Have you a career in mind? I am 28 now. You're never too old. Probably wont get to retire until were 80 haha. So a long career still ahead...
(edited 9 years ago)
I decided to go back a year after I finished college because I was getting depressed about being stuck in a rut, in a low paid and overworked job. I wanted a purpose in life, to help people and be there for them. I have a severe math problem, no matter how hard I try so I know I cannot be a nurse, so I decided to study social science and I am now doing social studies at uni this month. I am aiming to become a social workeer, specifically for elderly residents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi I'm 27 , completed an access course in humanties as was the only course that I could get to fit into my work . I then went onto university last September , however I picked a university very last minute as my two chosen ones I had decided I was too scared too move away at this age and my dad really needed me at the time . I'm now stuck on what to do either carry on with second year or take the plunge and move to a new university despite being a mature student ?

I left school with minimal GCSEs due to many things , however I went back to college I re took them however never really knew what I wanted to do . I just fell in too a job and enjoying life . I left a company , then somehow went back and it was then I decided I wanted more than this and my only way would be to go back and study .

I've always been very career minded , I guess I just thought I would fall into something and then I realised I need more behind me , I needed an education .

It's been tough , my access course I was luck we were all around the same age just was hard adapting to studying again . University though is very different .

I wish you all the best of luck with your adventures and it's great to hear from other mature students
Reply 6
Hey all, I'm 28 now and starting French with Spanish this year, in 1 week actually :smile:

I was a successful IT Business Manager but left that as all men do...for a woman and moved to Germany. After it didn't work out I came back and tried to go into my old career. I found a job similar to what I had before and hated every second of it. I left after less than a week and decided to gain some knowledge. Something I could use the rest of my life and maybe pass down to my children...one day.

I fell head over heels in love with languages, not especially German but started drifting back to my focus on the romance languages which I had studied at GCSE's, a very very long time ago.

I'm off to Bangor University and I'm looking forward to it but I worry about the major age gap and trying to get back into studying after not doing this for 10 years, it will be difficult but I've been self-studying since February and haven't given up yet.

I think our at our age with a bit more life experience and not as much time left on planet earth we tend to push harder and focus more on what we want from this blink of an existence.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 7
I've just turned 26 and will be starting uni in a week and half. At 16 I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life so got job in a shop job while I thought about it. Fast forward to 19, I picked a BTEC first diploma in health and social care, then went on to a BTEC in Health studies, everyone else was applying to university to I though I would to (with encouragement from my family). I got a place to study nursing, moved an hour away from home and started the degree. I soon realised I had chosen the completely wrong degree. so after six months of being unhappy I left and got a job in an office. I worked there for a year while I thought properly about what I wanted to do with my life. I then realised I wanted to work with animals, something that as I child I had always wanted to do. I started a part-time evening animal course whilst volunteering with animal organisations and loved what I was doing. I did this for a year whilst applying to university. I am now about to start a degree in Zoology and feel I have finally found my passion :smile:
Original post by Mfalcon
Tell me your reasons for returning to education and what you went back to do. Your story. Road bumps and all.

I'm curious and I'm beginning on my journey back to education next year at 27 (will be 28) hoping to go into graphic design.

Working a minimum wage job. I'm only going to study for a year and most if not all will be home study as I have to work etc I'm abit worried I won't have time to do everything I need to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Mfalcon

I left school with no gcses. Went to college for a year to do office technology studies but didnt enjoy it so left. I started my 1st ever job at 16 in a call centre in my home town. It was a dead end job, no prospects to continue forward and work your way up. I had my 1st child at 19 and then my daughter came along at 24. I just thought i want to give them more to life and also myself. I quit my job Jan 2013, started a pre access course in the march and then Access last sept. I did social welfare. Applied for Uni feb this year and got accepted for criminology. I chose that as i also volunteer in the local prison, and have so now for a year. I changed my degree to Law and Criminology and i start in less than 2 weeks time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending