The Student Room Group

Sixth form French exchange experience

We have the opportunity to do an exchange with a French student, but I'm rather apprehensive :/ has anyone had any good/bad experiences with a language exchange trip? Thanks :smile:
Original post by HeisenbergWW
We have the opportunity to do an exchange with a French student, but I'm rather apprehensive :/ has anyone had any good/bad experiences with a language exchange trip? Thanks :smile:

I didn't go because I was a bit apprehensive like yourself... Everyone came back hating it. Was so funny.

But having said that. I think it's a good experience to have maybe
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I didn't go because I was a bit apprehensive like yourself... Everyone came back hating it. Was so funny.

But having said that. I think it's a good experience to have maybe

I know it would definitely help my French, but I it could potentially be a week of hell :P
I know it would definitely help my French, but I it could potentially be a week of hell :P

That's why I didn't go :tongue:

I still got highest in the class though
That's why I didn't go :tongue:

I still got highest in the class though

Really? What did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Just goes to show that the exchange isn't even necessary :wink:
Really? What did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Just goes to show that the exchange isn't even necessary :wink:

Oral 80/80
Written Paper 108/120

I should have got full but I had a bad day and I didn't do any revision anyway
Reply 6

If it's just one week, you should go. You will learn what real food is.:biggrin:

Will you live in a hotel or with a family?
(edited 9 years ago)
Oral 80/80
Written Paper 108/120

I should have got full but I had a bad day and I didn't do any revision anyway

Wow! Share your secret :biggrin:
Original post by Josb
If it's just one week, you should go. You will learn what real food is.:biggrin:

Will you live in a hotel or with a family?

Haha :biggrin: The food would definitely be a bonus! And with a family! That is what I'm most worried about :P
Wow! Share your secret :biggrin:

Grammar :tongue:
Not quite the same but I've had a penfriend for almost two years now, who I've skyped and talked to on Facebook, and finally met with this summer. I stayed with her for two weeks, and then we had a week break before she stayed with me for two weeks too. We get on extremely well so I really, really enjoyed it. You really get to experience French life - especially the food. :sogood: Plus, your oral skills really do improve. I say go for it - better to try than not go and regret it if everyone else enjoyed it!
Haha you sound like my French teacher :wink:

Too bad French grammar is impossible :biggrin:
Original post by Paralove
Not quite the same but I've had a penfriend for almost two years now, who I've skyped and talked to on Facebook, and finally met with this summer. I stayed with her for two weeks, and then we had a week break before she stayed with me for two weeks too. We get on extremely well so I really, really enjoyed it. You really get to experience French life - especially the food. :sogood: Plus, your oral skills really do improve. I say go for it - better to try than not go and regret it if everyone else enjoyed it!

Ahhh the only issue is that you knew the person beforehand! I'm just really worried that I wont get along with the family at all! Other than that, it does sound like an amazing experience :biggrin:
Reply 13
Ahhh the only issue is that you knew the person beforehand! I'm just really worried that I wont get along with the family at all! Other than that, it does sound like an amazing experience :biggrin:

We don't eat children. Don't worry.

(Just snails and frogs.:biggrin:)
Reply 14
And where will it be in France?
I am so jealous that this option is available to you! I would love to do something like this!

Does anyone know of an organisation that does organise exchange visits? Or is it only available through schools?
I would definitely recommend going! It could be a bad experience, or it could be an amazing one - you have to judge the risk. In year 11 I contacted a random French farm to ask if I could work for them over the summer. Before flying over I was bricking it, imagining that Simpsons episode where the French wine makers basically enslave Bart... Luckily it was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life - great people, great food and my French improved so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending