The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouieSax
Hi :smile: Sorry for the late reply :smile: Yeah I've really enjoyed my gap year up until now, over the summer I kept so busy and tried to keep doing different things and do some personal statement building which I have loved. However at the moment, my gap year has been put into a bit a limbo whilst I wait for the paperwork of my new job to come through, so I haven't got much to do at the moment because I need the paperwork in order to start -.-' I;ve got a job as a Health Care Support Worker but as I said I haven't started yet. Funnily enough, I've been on the virtual tour for Southampton Uni and the green spaces are definitely something that has drawn me to it because I really want somewhere nice where I can just relax and chill, you know? :smile:

Yeh it was great :biggrin: good luck with job stuff! Hope it all goes well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by lozasaurus99
Nooooooo! !!! Btecs are definitely way far too easier than A levels!!!! Do you think I could do one extra as an external candidate maybe to gain more ucas points? And that's good if you enjoyed your subjects:smile: you'll do really well! !! ..I want to go qmul/royal Holloway etc. Because London is good!!!!!:smile: wbu?

Hmm... I'm not sure if you can sit a BTEC externally because its full time and I've actually never heard of that before. Saying that I know someone last year who managed to get around the system in my college (goodness knows how) and managed to juggle 3 A Levels and a BTEC however, she didn't get home until late at night then. Why don't you take a gap year and do a BTEC then? :smile:
I did a BTEC and 2 A levels and I don't regret it at all because it allowed me to get the bet grades I could and it was actually useful! I don't regret it :wink: and hopefully southampton don't mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That means I'll have to spend 3 years doing A levels "gap year" in which 3 years someone can gain a degree! I feel so hopeless :frown:
I really like the look of southampton and really want to go but I got BBC at AS and I don't think I'd get a provisional offer based on that :/
Reply 25
Original post by ineedaspacebar
I really like the look of southampton and really want to go but I got BBC at AS and I don't think I'd get a provisional offer based on that :/

My best advice is talk to your lecturers and discuss predicted grades, different colleges have different policies in regards to predicted grades. Some colleges will increase your predicted grades quite considerably. Alternatively, if you are dead set on going to Southampton you could always take a gap year and reapply and do any necessary resits in your gap year :smile:
Do you think you may know in clearing which courses have the most spaces available?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Do you think you may know in clearing which courses have the most spaces available?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course did you say you wanted to do?
You could wait until clearing that's the other alternative however, you are never going to be 100% certain that the course you want at Southampton Uni is going to go into Clearing and besides, a lot of the time, clearing want people who have achieved the grades that they are after :/ They may drop the requirement by one or two grades at the very most but that is very rare too :/
Reply 28
I'll be applying this year for Healthcare: Management, Policy and Research - had an offer last year which the University have agreed to re-offer me in this cycle! I'm an Access to HE - Social Science student :smile:
Original post by Hero-H
I'll be applying this year for Healthcare: Management, Policy and Research - had an offer last year which the University have agreed to re-offer me in this cycle! I'm an Access to HE - Social Science student :smile:

Sorry stalking omg but GOOD FOR YOU b :*
Reply 30
I've got a place for Mechanical Engineering, MEng starting in SEP 2015. I'm currently having a gap year, working and travelling in Australia, New Zealand and surroundings. Anyone else in similar situation?
Reply 31
Original post by TimWDunn
I've got a place for Mechanical Engineering, MEng starting in SEP 2015. I'm currently having a gap year, working and travelling in Australia, New Zealand and surroundings. Anyone else in similar situation?

Hey! I'm also on my gap year however, I haven't got a place as I am applying this year instead of last year. How's your gap year going? :smile: Why did you choose the university of Southampton?
Hey! I'm also on my gap year however, I haven't got a place as I am applying this year instead of last year. How's your gap year going? :smile: Why did you choose the university of Southampton?

Same!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

How;s your gap year and application coming along? :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by JenniB22
Hey!

I'm going to be applying for Graduate Entry Medicine for 2015 entry.

I have a degree in Classics from Oxford (2.1) and sat a Chemistry A Level this year and managed to get an A*

Applying to Southampton partly because the medical school is really good and partly because I grew up in Southampton so I know the city and the university and the hospital well.

Good luck to you all!

What's the city like? I'm also thinking of applying (for medicine too incidentally, but for the 5 year course), and although I've never been to Southampton it seems like a nice, clean city but I also hope it still has a bit of a 'buzz' about it for the students. Sorry that was very vague but still would love to know what you think of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ja1
What's the city like? I'm also thinking of applying (for medicine too incidentally, but for the 5 year course), and although I've never been to Southampton it seems like a nice, clean city but I also hope it still has a bit of a 'buzz' about it for the students. Sorry that was very vague but still would love to know what you think of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I grew up in Highfield so I know the area around the uni really well and it's such a nice area. The city is good because it's quite big and there's a lot to do. It's not the prettiest place in the world but it has a huge amount of green space (The Common is really big) and it's so easy to get out of the city into the countryside if you need a break from the concrete! The city centre also has loads of shops, bars, clubs, cinemas, restaurants etc so there's always something to do. I think it's a really great city to be a student in.

As for medicine, the hospitals are great too. My dad works at Southampton General so I know that really well (and did my work experience there) but there's also Winchester, Basingstoke, and Portsmouth in pretty easy reach so wherever you end up for placements it's pretty easy.
Reply 36
Original post by JenniB22
Well I grew up in Highfield so I know the area around the uni really well and it's such a nice area. The city is good because it's quite big and there's a lot to do. It's not the prettiest place in the world but it has a huge amount of green space (The Common is really big) and it's so easy to get out of the city into the countryside if you need a break from the concrete! The city centre also has loads of shops, bars, clubs, cinemas, restaurants etc so there's always something to do. I think it's a really great city to be a student in.

As for medicine, the hospitals are great too. My dad works at Southampton General so I know that really well (and did my work experience there) but there's also Winchester, Basingstoke, and Portsmouth in pretty easy reach so wherever you end up for placements it's pretty easy.

Thanks, sounds good, good luck with your application 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
How;s your gap year and application coming along? :smile:

I don't know if I should apply to the same course and firm Southampton again and miss out!! Will the admissions tutor reject me? :frown: because I'll be applying to the same course second time round! ! :/ they'll definitely remember me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I don't know if I should apply to the same course and firm Southampton again and miss out!! Will the admissions tutor reject me? :frown: because I'll be applying to the same course second time round! ! :/ they'll definitely remember me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Not necessarily. They won't reject you based on that as that is unfair. The University will more likely see it as commitment to your course of study and your university. :smile: If it helps, I'm applying to another university the second time around :smile: You'll be fine :smile:
I am applying here with A*A*A predicted grades for history , it's my insurance but it's a great university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending