The Student Room Group

Deciding between Birkbeck, SOAS and Royal Holloway

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to make a decision about which university to join for my MA.. so far I have acceptances from:

Birkbeck: MA Modern and Contemporary Literature
Birkbeck: MA Contemporary Literature and Culture
Royal Holloway: MA Modernism and Contemporary Literature
SOAS: Comparative Literature (Africa/Asia)

(Waiting to hear back from two courses at Kings)

I know SOAS is probably the most reputable- and I absolutely love their campus, but the course is a little restrictive in the sense that we would be studying mostly translated works from Africa/Asia- and basically skipping over American and English literature (which makes sense because its the School of Oriental and African Studies). I would ideally like a career in editing/publishing. I'm of South Asian background and speak fluent English and Urdu so the SOAS course is perfect in terms of course content- I'm just nervous that it'll inhibit my career opportunities. Does anyone have an advice regarding Birkbeck or RH? I live in London Bridge so I'm a little hesitant about making the trek over to RH. Birkbeck seems to be popular with students here at TSR.. So it seems my decision would be between SOAS and Birkbeck.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by nh91
Hi guys,

I'm struggling to make a decision about which university to join for my MA.. so far I have acceptances from:

I know SOAS is probably the most reputable- and I absolutely love their campus, but the course is a little restrictive in the sense that we would be studying mostly translated works from Africa/Asia- and basically skipping over American and English literature (which makes sense because its the School of Oriental and African Studies). I would ideally like a career in editing/publishing. I'm of South Asian background and speak fluent English and Urdu so the SOAS course is perfect in terms of course content- I'm just nervous that it'll inhibit my career opportunities. Does anyone have an advice regarding Birkbeck or RH? I live in London Bridge so I'm a little hesitant about making the trek over to RH. Birkbeck seems to be popular with students here at TSR.. So it seems my decision would be between SOAS and Birkbeck.

Thanks in advance!

RoHo if you don't mind the travel or are going to live there

SOAS otherwise.
Reply 2
Original post by Clip
RoHo if you don't mind the travel or are going to live there

SOAS otherwise.

Any specific reason? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by nh91
Any specific reason? Thanks :smile:

The lifts in Bbk smell of wee.
Original post by nh91
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Lived with people who did the RH MA and weren't overly positive about their experience, though that was now four/five years ago. It's a 40 min (fast train) journey to Egham, then a good 15/20min walk. Not worth moving to Egham as you'd just end up commuting back into London for books!

Never hear a bad thing about Birkbeck...
Original post by nh91
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

The commute for RHUL isn't too bad - I had a flatmate when I lived in Waterloo who used to commute to RHUL everyday.

(Can't contribute anything more helpful as no idea about literature courses, sorry!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nh91
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Unless you're most interested in postcolonial theory and/or African or Asian lit, then SOAS isn't better thought of than the other unis on your list. Just generally, Birkbeck and RHUL are extremely well regarded English departments, and Birkbeck especially so for C20th lit.

Is there any critical approach you're especially interested in, or particular period or group of authors - that might help narrow down which dep't would suit you better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by arguendo
The commute for RHUL isn't too bad - I had a flatmate when I lived in Waterloo who used to commute to RHUL everyday.

(Can't contribute anything more helpful as no idea about literature courses, sorry!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's always good to know! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by madamemerle
Unless you're most interested in postcolonial theory and/or African or Asian lit, then SOAS isn't better thought of than the other unis on your list. Just generally, Birkbeck and RHUL are extremely well regarded English departments, and Birkbeck especially so for C20th lit.

Is there any critical approach you're especially interested in, or particular period or group of authors - that might help narrow down which dep't would suit you better.

That's the problem- I'm most interested in South Asian/ Oriental literature (Murakami, Lahiri, Roy etc) and that's what I do in my free time- read these authors. It's why I chose to apply for the SOAS course. I just don't know if it's viable- specially given how ultra competitive finding a job in the publishing and editing sector has become. The Birkbeck/RHUL courses at least provides some breadth in their modules- from studying Post colonialism and diaspora to more contemporary works... but SOAS is a branded university. So that's my problem- deciding between a more feasible course or a branded university...
Original post by nh91
That's the problem- I'm most interested in South Asian/ Oriental literature (Murakami, Lahiri, Roy etc) and that's what I do in my free time- read these authors. It's why I chose to apply for the SOAS course. I just don't know if it's viable- specially given how ultra competitive finding a job in the publishing and editing sector has become. The Birkbeck/RHUL courses at least provides some breadth in their modules- from studying Post colonialism and diaspora to more contemporary works... but SOAS is a branded university. So that's my problem- deciding between a more feasible course or a branded university...

Ahhh, I see. Sorry, that was not clear.

Well, someone like Lahiri will be fine to study in an English department - I've done work on her from within American Studies. But, you've sort of painted yourself into a corner with your choice of alternates to SOAS, neither of which have very strong provisions in postcolonial lit or ethnic American lit. If Asian and diasporic Asian lit is really what you're interested in, then SOAS is really the only and best choice.

I'm not sure that's as much of a problem as you think....an English/Comp Lit MA is not going to make any real difference to you on the job market, even in something like publishing, where they are much more interested in work experience (as an aside, it seems the only way in to publishing atm is through multiple unpaid internships). I don't think potential employers will be scrutinizing your MA that closely, or even really care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending