The Student Room Group

Why do prices always seem to go up but never down?

This is something that really irks me :angry:
If deflation occurs the whole economy is completely ****ed so the government would never allow it. Wages are usually rising at a similar rate so ti isn't really an issue.
Why would they go down. These peeps are making profit

I remember when freddos were 5p. Now they're like a pound :cry2:
Original post by Multitalented me

Inflation my friend.
Original post by Secretnerd123

they're 25p....

although i did see a pic of a corner shop selling them for 65p.
Original post by cleveradam
Inflation my friend.
I know but just annoys me when something I bought at a fair price suddenly becomes stupidly overpriced. Wages doesn't exactly rise at the same rate either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fas
they're 25p....

65p?!?!? That's ****ing cruel!
Wages are supposed to go up with inflation as well. Why don't you ask your boss?

Of course it is inflation plus whatever profit the company wants to make, usually 10% a year which compounds nicely on the order of a human lifetime, unlike monetarist governments' 2% inflation targets which things like public sector and welfare benefits uprating is based on (if we're lucky)

What is the solution for the British people?

As ever, our only strength against the elites is in our numbers. Our generation must reject consumerism.

Instead we must focus ourselves on more earnest, fulfilling, advantageous purposes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Inflation. Demand for goods increases because of an increasingly affluent global population therefore causing prices to rise. Just google demand and supply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically.. inflation

Tbf, when it comes to technology, prices fall. For most other tjhings, prices rise due to inflation :smile:
Reply 10
Deflation, that is prices going down, is nearly always bad for the economy. People stop spending as they can buy more tomorrow by keeping their money at home than spending today. People spending less = economic slowdown, recession etc.
Too much inflation is also bad but governments generally target 2-3%, which is healthy.

Wages do generally go up with inflation (which would entail a zero net gain in purchasing power, which is what actually matters.)
Inflation helps to lubricate the jobs market by allowing a nominal wage reduction i.e. wages go up 3% when inflation is 4% as employees are more likely to accept this than an outright wage reduction.
Wage reductions are necessary during a recession, or unemployment will rise.

Source: what I can remember from my macroeconomics course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fas
they're 25p....

I was obvs exaggerating but 65p aint that less than a pound

Original post by Fas
they're 25p....

Fas is correct, but it's not just inflation that's caused the price of Freddos to increase - the wholesale cost of cocoa has dramatically increased, mainly because we give more of a **** about the 3rd world these days...
Reply 13
I'm sure house prices are going down. (or are they going back up again?)
Original post by Qari
I'm sure house prices are going down. (or are they going back up again?)

this. property prices go up and down depending on a few things.
I was obvs exaggerating but 65p aint that less than a pound

well it's 35% less :redface:
Reply 15
Original post by ChickenMadness
this. property prices go up and down depending on a few things.

well then that disproves his thread . Property prices go down :biggrin:
Original post by ChickenMadness

well it's 35% less :redface:

Go away you
I know but just annoys me when something I bought at a fair price suddenly becomes stupidly overpriced. Wages doesn't exactly rise at the same rate either.

yeah... if wages also rose equal to the rate of inflation then Freddo Bars would be 50pence by now.
Inflation is much, much better than deflation.
Well its a long story but it boils down to a tale of modern day slavery and robbery by stealth.

Bear this in mind when you think about the whole world of work,earning money and spending it for you will see that in reality progress isnt really being made by the average individual. They are merely pawns in a modern day slave trade.

Now once upon a time we had a thing called the gold standard. This linked the amount of fake paper money in circulation to something of real value, a finite resource...gold.

So banks had to back up every piece of fake money they issued with real gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard

This caused a big problem for central banks because they couldnt print lots and lots of fake money to pump into the economy.

Gold was so important to the economy that after the 1929 great depression in the US, the US Government made it all but illegal for US citizens to have gold in their possession and passed a law requiring individuals to deliver their gold over to the state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Reserve_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Of course Governments wanted to have control of the money supply and so gradually, corrupt countries got together and decided to abandon the gold standard. This allowed the production of fake money at will.

We have seen it happen since the slump of 2008 when Governments introduced the corrupt practice of what is laughingly called Quantative easing.

Of course the effects of inflation in the economy are cumulative.

Take for example the price of petrol.

There are people alive today who can still remember a UK gallon of petrol costing around 60 pence. Now its around £5.90 a gallon.

https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/Petrol_Prices_1896_todate_gallons.pdf

How did that happen?

So for us modern day slaves what lessons are there to learn?

Well the first one is that the progress you think you are making is being made against all odds.

You get your monthly pay

It has already had tax deducted.

You go to spend it, you get taxed again at 20% VAT

If you dont spend it, you get robbed by the back door as inflation erodes the buying power of your money..

Whats the answer?

The ideal answer is not to work, let the state support you and earn money cash in hand.

As you get older, build up more and more managed debt then die and leave it all behind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dilzo999
65p?!?!? That's ****ing cruel!

hahaha i know right, i could never morally justify buying or selling freddo's for that amount of money :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest