The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool 2015 Medicine Applicants!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMJ_1996
Do you know why you got all pre-interview rejections?

For two of them, it was because my BMAT was too low. For the third one, they said they were concerned about my commitment to Medicine as expressed in my PS and for the fourth one, they said that my commitment to Medicine was good (so contradicting what the other said :tongue:) but that my extracurriculars lacked slightly. :smile:

Original post by hukdealz
Reapplicants usually have a much stronger application than those who are applying straight from school because a gap year proves your dedication to medicine, plus unis know they aren't taking a risk with you if you've already got your A level grades.

My sister was in the same position as you- 4 years ago she applied to medicine from school. She got 4 pre-interview rejections but she then went, more committed than ever, and aced her A levels (A*A*A from an A*AB prediction), and reapplied after a productive gap year. She got 4 offers and is now in her 3rd year of medicine at Barts!

Credit to you for staying steadfast on the road to becoming a doctor and I wish you the best of luck with your application.

A lot of people on here sometimes forget that we're all competing with each other for a place, so may the best man win! :wink:

Thank you very much! :biggrin: Same to you, all the best with it. :yep:

Haha, very true :wink:
Original post by usycool1
For two of them, it was because my BMAT was too low. For the third one, they said they were concerned about my commitment to Medicine as expressed in my PS and for the fourth one, they said that my commitment to Medicine was good (so contradicting what the other said :tongue:) but that my extracurriculars lacked slightly. :smile:

All the very best! Really hope things work out for you, this year! :smile:
Original post by Degirl267
All the very best! Really hope things work out for you, this year! :smile:

Thank you very much! :smile:
Applied for foundation year medicine and vet studies will await reply.
Original post by usycool1

Oh no I'm a bit worried bc I have virtually no extra curricular a
What extracurricular do you guys have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimberlymegsx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally only dofe! I also did a numeracy mentor scheme for you get children In my school, but I don't know if that counted as voluntary work or what. Oh and I am at a high level in army cadets
Oh no I'm a bit worried bc I have virtually no extra curricular a

That my problem entirely. I was never very good at sports and my family couldnt really afford for me to learn music and stuff like that. So all my extra curricular and college based like charity society and medics group. I did do an open university course in the summer, because i really do enjoy reading around my subjects in my spare time. (i honestly prefer that to other things). the only really extra thing I do is run to keep fit.

I am really worried that my personal statement will come back and they will decline me because I am lacking in extra curricular activities. I work 12 hours a week and also volunteer one night as week along with learning to drive. I have tried to do extra curriculars but it drove me to breaking point and my grades dramatically slipped!

I cant get grades good enough for medicine, work and do extra curriculars!

Do you think my lack of extra curriculars will be detrimental to my application, especially considering the competition this year?
Original post by Kimberlymegsx

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the strongest area of my application! Model United Nations, debating, physical theatre & dance, DofE, Science Club leader, medical ethics society, prefect team and learner voice ...
somehow managed to mention all of them except debating in my personal statement, without making it a list- hoping that gives me a slightly improved chance with Liverpool :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
This is the strongest area of my application! Model United Nations, debating, physical theatre & dance, DofE, Science Club leader, medical ethics society, prefect team and learner voice ...
somehow managed to mention all of them except debating in my personal statement, without making it a list- hoping that gives me a slightly improved chance with Liverpool :smile:

wow you are so lucky to be able to do all of that and still be able to keep up with your studies.
Original post by Ezme39

I'm so jealous!!! However I'm hoping the fact I have tonnes of work experience will make up for a slight lack of extra curricular a
I'm so jealous!!! However I'm hoping the fact I have tonnes of work experience will make up for a slight lack of extra curricular a

That what I'm also hoping for, I dont really have tonnes, but I did learn a lot from it, and it was very different work experience compared to many peoples.

I hate the fact that we are in competition with so many people this year, it makes that interview seem so much less likely

Haha, I expect it would do :smile: my work experience is fairly limited, so I'm hoping the opposite!
Original post by Ezme39

Original post by Natalierm2707
That my problem entirely. I was never very good at sports and my family couldnt really afford for me to learn music and stuff like that. So all my extra curricular and college based like charity society and medics group. I did do an open university course in the summer, because i really do enjoy reading around my subjects in my spare time. (i honestly prefer that to other things). the only really extra thing I do is run to keep fit.

I am really worried that my personal statement will come back and they will decline me because I am lacking in extra curricular activities. I work 12 hours a week and also volunteer one night as week along with learning to drive. I have tried to do extra curriculars but it drove me to breaking point and my grades dramatically slipped!

I cant get grades good enough for medicine, work and do extra curriculars!

Do you think my lack of extra curriculars will be detrimental to my application, especially considering the competition this year?

Yeah same :smile:
My Extracurriculars/Sporting/Scholistic activities make my PS stand out in my opinion.
Although they say on their website they only consider medical insight/Caring contribution.
When I went to the open day I asked the the admissions team and they said that we want all rounded individuals who have a life outside of school and do want people who have wider interests. After all those are the things that give your PS personality and make it stand out in the end especially if you can demonstrate teamwork (useful as Liverpool used to be pbl), Leadership etc...
But yeah it's not essential to have loads of EC's hence they don't have it as one of the criteria and having a good insight and caring side is more important.
Original post by futuremedic19
My Extracurriculars/Sporting/Scholistic activities make my PS stand out in my opinion.
Although they say on their website they only consider medical insight/Caring contribution.
When I went to the open day I asked the the admissions team and they said that we want all rounded individuals who have a life outside of school and do want people who have wider interests. After all those are the things that give your PS personality and make it stand out in the end especially if you can demonstrate teamwork (useful as Liverpool used to be pbl), Leadership etc...
But yeah it's not essential to have loads of EC's hence they don't have it as one of the criteria and having a good insight and caring side is more important.

That makes me feel a little more confident, thanks :smile:

I think often because my extra curriculars are academic and work based, people misunderstand me and think that Im not well rounded, and that I am stressed all the time.

Actually the fact that I balance a job with college and volunteering and studying makes me think I will be able to deal with the work load of university and the stress of it all a little better. I like to think that my job has also given me a lot of leadership and teamwork help and has allowed me to mature.

I believe I am a well rounded person, and for me playing netball or dancing wasnt right. I dont need extra curriculars in sport or other things to show I am well rounded. I just wish universities would see that!
Original post by futuremedic19

In that case I find that very reassuring as I have a wide range of work experience
Reply 396
Literally only dofe! I also did a numeracy mentor scheme for you get children In my school, but I don't know if that counted as voluntary work or what. Oh and I am at a high level in army cadets

what rank are you? army cadets is a big commitment though isnt it?
Well... I'll start with leadership/organisational positions:
House captain.
Student council representative.
Environmental club leader.
Head librarian.
Coached volleyball and basketball development teams.
Organised a charity to aid the phillipenes after typhoon hayaan last year. (raised 1000 pounds)
Buddy program coordinator (a program at my school where we help year 7 student during their fist year at secondary school)
Deputy head boy

Other ECA's
Basketball team 6 years, two pf which I was captain of the team.
Attended 3 Model United Nations conferences.
Peer tutoring program coordinator and teacher.
Participated in the PWC Pin2 business challenge.
Competed in athletics at a professional club in Kuwait.
Chemistry laboratory assistant at my school.
Went on a volunteering trip to build toilet blocks in Sri Lanka.
Volunteering at a local disability centre
Shadowing an ophthalmologist (eye doctor)
Planning to start a Medical Society in my school. (Not on PS)

I am also well read because I was planning to apply to cambridge if it wasn't for my grades at AS-Level: GCSE 8A*AB AS:AABB and Maths completed in yr 12: A*, with A2 predicted A*A*A and AB in AS further maths and AS history this year.

Only things that I lack are Duke of E and Drama and Music background, but that's no problem
(edited 9 years ago)
Oxfam 5 years - not included
Gen2Gen 3 months then continued as elderly buddy for 1 year - not included
Nursing home over 1 year
V10 award - not included
Arts Award Silver
BA flag award Spanish - not included
The Challenge
Beat Bullying Mentor
Maths Mentor
Save the weavers, England co-ordinator - not included
Piano grade 5
Speech and Drama grade 5
Run drama workshops at school
Head of medical society
Member of sixth form committee - not included

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marwan123100
Well... I'll start with leadership/organisational positions:
House captain.
Student council representative.
Environmental club leader.
Head librarian.
Coached volleyball and basketball development teams.
Organised a charity to aid the phillipenes after typhoon hayaan last year. (raised 1000 pounds)
Buddy program coordinator (a program at my school where we help year 7 student during their fist year at secondary school)
Deputy head boy

Other ECA's
Basketball team 6 years, two pf which I was captain of the team.
Attended 3 Model United Nations conferences.
Peer tutoring program coordinator and teacher.
Participated in the PWC Pin2 business challenge.
Competed in athletics at a professional club in Kuwait.
Chemistry laboratory assistant at my school.
Went on a volunteering trip to build toilet blocks in Sri Lanka.
Volunteering at a local disability centre
Shadowing an ophthalmologist (eye doctor)
Planning to start a Medical Society in my school. (Not on PS)

I am also well read because I was planning to apply to cambridge if it wasn't for my grades at AS-Level: GCSE 8A*AB AS:AABB and Maths completed in yr 12: A*, with A2 predicted A*A*A and AB in AS further maths and AS history this year.

Only things that I lack are Duke of E and Drama and Music background, but that's no problem

If I'm honest I think you'll struggle :/ just not enough EC's!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending