The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Why would I want to study at BCU ?

I'm in my final year at college and till January I have to sent my aplication letter. I've spend a lot of time studying the university league tables and I tend to apply at Newcastle University or Univeristy of Leeds due to the high employment rate and student satisfaction regarding not only the course, but the student life.

The thing that makes my choice more difficult is that my girlfriend, who is now a fresher at BCU, keeps telling me to apply at this uni for the MARKETING & ADVERTISING AND PR course.

So the question is as follows:

WHY WOULD I WANT TO STUDY AT BCU ?
Reply 1
Original post by Dragos Cojocea
I'm in my final year at college and till January I have to sent my aplication letter. I've spend a lot of time studying the university league tables and I tend to apply at Newcastle University or Univeristy of Leeds due to the high employment rate and student satisfaction regarding not only the course, but the student life.

The thing that makes my choice more difficult is that my girlfriend, who is now a fresher at BCU, keeps telling me to apply at this uni for the MARKETING & ADVERTISING AND PR course.

So the question is as follows:

WHY WOULD I WANT TO STUDY AT BCU ?

Go and find out for yourself. They're holding university-wide open days on 4th October and 15th November, there's still plenty of time to register. It's all well and good to check the stats of a university, of course employment and satisfactory rates are important. However, considering what the university can offer you, the experiences you will get and how comfortable you feel at the university is just as important if you are to succeed.

On one hand I could say; just because one university has high employment and student satisfaction rates does not mean to say that you, personally, will have a great experience. You need to go and check it out for youself. But at the same time, don't go there just because your girlfriend is there. You should do what is best for you in the long run.

BCU is a great university, I've studied there before and I am currently in the process of reapplying to go back next year. When I was there before the uni really opened my eyes to new possibilities, and I withdrew from the course I was on to chase a new career, now I hope to go back and pursue that career. The support I received was excellent.

BCU Open days: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/open-days

Course info: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/marketing-advertising-and-public-relations

Best of luck.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
What does your girlfriend study there? Seems like it's possible she just wants you in the same uni.

My advice is to go to the open days and take a look yourself before making a discussion. Also, spend the day in the city and look at the accommodations nearby such as Jennens Court & Curzon (plus a few others). Same for Newcastle & leeds.

I can't give you a reason to join BCU over another place because it's all in your choice. Go take a look.

Original post by Dragos Cojocea
tag
(edited 9 years ago)
Have a look around before you decide, I had my heart set on Nottingham Trent once and wasn't keen on it when I went to the open day. I'm not at BCU anymore simply because the course wasn't for me and it was hard for me to commute to the North Campus, but other than that I really miss it. I thought it was quite a laid back uni.
Reply 4
I studied on the Marketing, Advertising and PR course at BCU a few years ago and I'd do it all over again! The course was great, full of creative, bubbly people and passionate (and really funny!) lecturers. I got to work on some pretty cool assignments - including creating and promoting a clothing line and a music band. There were even opportunities to take part in live briefs and present back to organisations like Jaguar Landrover. I left the course feeling very rounded and could have gone into so many different fields. I'd definitely recommend doing a placement year, it opens so many doors for you. Some of the people on my course have gone on to do Marketing/PR for some big brands like Topshop, Disney and L'oreal.

From 2015 you'll be based in the City Centre in the new Curzon Building, if its anything like the rest of their City Centre campus buildings then you are in for a treat!

Good luck in making your decision...hope my experience at BCU has been of some aid :-)
Reply 5
I went to a BCU open day to find out more about the MAPR course and thought the tutors and lecturers explained things really well.

Ultimately I chose to study this course because I wanted a course that had a practical element to it, so I would learn particular skills, important for a career in marketing.

The modules were specific to each marketing element such as market research and advertising practice. You also got the chance to be creative as you had to produce advertising and marketing materials for certain modules and sometimes live projects, this really opened up the creative process and demonstrated what deadlines would be like in real companies. The course was very much employment focused and I also secured a marketing placement for my sandwich year which benefited me for future employment. With modules in each of the disciplines of marketing, advertising and pr, you develop skills to be an all round marketer and can go into employment in either one.

I would look at the course on the website and see if it is what you want to study and develop a career in, going to the open day is also a big help as you learn more about the university and can ask questions about the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending