The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths November 2014

Hi all,

I am sitting my maths GCSE as a private candidate as ten years ago when I originally did the paper I didn't care. I am now trying to right my wrongs and get that pesky C grade. I am doing the foundation paper as I am also doing a degree, my English GCSE, being a husband, step dad and holding a part time job. Does anyone have any tips on what to revise or things to expect in the exam that may take me by surprise. I have done a few past papers and I am scoring between 70-82%.

Any advice would be amazing.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by PlantVZombie
Hi all,

I am sitting my maths GCSE as a private candidate as ten years ago when I originally did the paper I didn't care. I am now trying to right my wrongs and get that pesky C grade. I am doing the foundation paper as I am also doing a degree, my English GCSE, being a husband, step dad and holding a part time job. Does anyone have any tips on what to revise or things to expect in the exam that may take me by surprise. I have done a few past papers and I am scoring between 70-82%.

Thank you.

On my phone at the moment so can't link you to some of the places I reccomend but your doing good so far. Past papers are great for maths. If there are any questions you get wrong and don't understand after marking, google it. Usually somewhere will have it explained or it may be on YouTube. If not just ask in the maths section here. :h:

Are there any topics you don't understand?

(I'll send the links later :h:)
Thank you so much for getting back to me, I have found some pretty good videos on youtube which explain answers and make me feel really dumb haha, past papers are helping as I notice some sort of pattern in papers. I mean I guess algebra is something I don't like as I have not done it in like 10 years, and a topic in regards to graphs in my book it goes by the name loci or locus, basically everything to do with that is a big of a "what" situation. I mean I haven't come up against it yet in past papers, but knowing my luck I will in the real thing and if it's a 5 mark question that could be the difference between a C and 5 marks off a C (which is what I got back in 04)
Hi all,

Thank you.

http://www.m4ths.com/learn-gcse-maths-in-one-day.html

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Buy your relevant revision guides/ workbooks.. And maths watch?
Just my personal opinion, did Gcse maths in year 10 (about 3 months ago) and got an A* and the about is precisely what I did. Also watch videos and revise topics specific to the ones you struggle with.. Don't revise unnecesarily if you just want the C. Also make concise notes of areas you struggle with, and read them a couple times the night before and on the morning of the exam. Also have a good sleep, do past papers religiously and good luck :wink:
this is all great advice, keep it coming I have done around 8 past papers now so 4 different years and I got my highest today with an overall of 174/200 which must be a C grade. I am now going to go through them all and pick out what I couldn't do and revise it to make sure I can get as many marks as possible.
Cpg gcse maths book is godsend book. I usually get E for maths but after i bought this book within 2 months exam drawing near i got C evantually i did not expect that. This book is awesome. There are 8 topics i think and i revised each topic every day and revising again and again for 1 hour each day until exam. I sadly did not passed my GCSE english i always get D i am going to buy cgp book to see if helps me :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I totally have that book, I got it last week, the complete revision and practice book I think. I am using it to look over parts I have not got right. I think I should just go through it though and do each bt again and again until I get it. I am doing my English this year as well, but due to the course work section I am doing it as an evening class. I had a test last week to see if I was good enough to do the course which I think I passed, all I know is a year of university has improved my writing and the care I take in my work so I really hope I get a C or above.
Original post by Miss Helper

If you want to help you can contribute by prompting students towards a solution on any one of the numerous threads in this Forum. Please do not try to encourage people to seek help away from TSR.
Hi all,

Thank you.

1. Corbett maths(online maths titurial)
2. Past papers
2. Mathswatch CD
3. Loads of GCSE maths practice-NON STOP
Ok Mr M, well noted. Thanks
my god Corbett maths is amazing. thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest