The Student Room Group

Situational Judgement / Occupational Questionnaires - How to Pass?

Hello all,

I've been invited to take a Situational Judgement test and an Occupational Questionnaire for Barclays Investment Bank.

I'll start by saying, I don't think these tests are fair at all, for a few reasons:

1 - You will not know how you will react to a certain situation until you are faced with it.

2 - Sometimes there are a few answers which you feel equally drawn to. Again your overall reaction to a situation would depend on numerous factors, in a real life situation - not based on a hypothetical question.

3 - In any new job, it's not hard to adapt to the requirements of the role.

Here's the main problem: I never know how to answer these properly, because I genuinely either don't know how I will react, or there are equally viable options and i'm not sure which one to pick. People will say don't second guess the test, it's designed to catch you out, and also you should be honest with the answers to avoid entering a job which isn't suited to yourself.

I understand this, but I feel I have to tailor my answers for the company because I don't really know how to answer hypothetical questions, and end up picking the wrong answers simply because I am forced to answer - although I could adapt and respond in many ways.

I'm sure many people feel exactly the same as me.

Anyone got any advice on what Barclays are looking for? Or, where I can research the types of responses required? Not just for barclays but for any company.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by I_am_Neo
Hello all,

I've been invited to take a Situational Judgement test and an Occupational Questionnaire for Barclays Investment Bank.

I'll start by saying, I don't think these tests are fair at all, for a few reasons:

1 - You will not know how you will react to a certain situation until you are faced with it.

2 - Sometimes there are a few answers which you feel equally drawn to. Again your overall reaction to a situation would depend on numerous factors, in a real life situation - not based on a hypothetical question.

3 - In any new job, it's not hard to adapt to the requirements of the role.

Here's the main problem: I never know how to answer these properly, because I genuinely either don't know how I will react, or there are equally viable options and i'm not sure which one to pick. People will say don't second guess the test, it's designed to catch you out, and also you should be honest with the answers to avoid entering a job which isn't suited to yourself.

I understand this, but I feel I have to tailor my answers for the company because I don't really know how to answer hypothetical questions, and end up picking the wrong answers simply because I am forced to answer - although I could adapt and respond in many ways.

I'm sure many people feel exactly the same as me.

Anyone got any advice on what Barclays are looking for? Or, where I can research the types of responses required? Not just for barclays but for any company.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with you, I think these tests are just a time-wasting exercise to put people off applying and have no relevance whatsoever.

Anyway, the Barclays one is different. I might say it's even easier because it's a video SJT so it's easier to visualise yourself in the situation (their employees appear to be good at acting, haha). You should go with what you think one should do in that situation, honestly. Just think about it logically, it's untimed. Ask yourself 'if I was the person on the receiving end, would I be satisfied with that response?'

The personality questionnaire is not easy to second guess and with it, the easiest approach is just to say what you think is most relevant to you. Barclays actually give you feedback on this so even if it doesn't go so great, they will tell you how you scored and where within a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be the person that you think they would like you to be. They want you to be organised, hardworking, and friendly
Reply 3
Original post by will2348
I agree with you, I think these tests are just a time-wasting exercise to put people off applying and have no relevance whatsoever.

Anyway, the Barclays one is different. I might say it's even easier because it's a video SJT so it's easier to visualise yourself in the situation (their employees appear to be good at acting, haha). You should go with what you think one should do in that situation, honestly. Just think about it logically, it's untimed. Ask yourself 'if I was the person on the receiving end, would I be satisfied with that response?'

The personality questionnaire is not easy to second guess and with it, the easiest approach is just to say what you think is most relevant to you. Barclays actually give you feedback on this so even if it doesn't go so great, they will tell you how you scored and where within a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL @ (their employees appear to be good at acting, haha).
Probably a skills building exercise for the team lol.

They could simplify these tests so much, seriously. Have one question: If given the job, will you do it?
Then have two options: 1 - Yes, 2 - No. Lol.

These tests could never assess someones future reaction, or someone's personality/work style. They're simply frustrating.

Didn't know it was a video SJT - should make it a bit less annoying and perhaps comical to watch.
Thanks for your advice. I'll give them a go shortly.

Original post by sunnydespair
Be the person that you think they would like you to be. They want you to be organised, hardworking, and friendly

This is interesting, because you would think that wouldn't you? But I recently took a Work Style Questionnaire for PWC - and whilst I selected every possible option that sounded like the traits you just mentioned, I scored badly.

Here's an example:

1 - I enjoy change.
2 - I never break rules.
3 - I always complete tasks.

This is where it gets extremely frustrating, because you HAVE to PICK ONE which is Most Like You, and One which is Least Like You.

If they're are ALL LIKE YOU, how can you pick ONE?
Also, how can you then pick one which isn't like you?

Lets say you picked - I always complete tasks (Most like you) and I Enjoy Change (Least like you).
You would assume this means that you are hardworking, and won't get bored with your job.

But in actuality, this would be a bad answer. Various feedback confirmed this to me. A better answer would be: I Enjoy Change (Most like you), and I Never Break Rules (Least like you).

This would indicate that you are able to handle the variety of work which you will be faced with, and that you may be willing to challenge established procedures, and think conceptually to create new ways of doing things.

Literally it is not always what you 'THINK' it is, it really depends on the company and the role you've applied for.

STUPID TESTS :angry:
(edited 9 years ago)
I really wouldn't worry too much about situational test. I've never ever failed one. Like I said just try to be the person they want you to be, organised and hardworking and friendly. That's it, its that simple.
Reply 5
Original post by sunnydespair
I really wouldn't worry too much about situational test. I've never ever failed one. Like I said just try to be the person they want you to be, organised and hardworking and friendly. That's it, its that simple.

How do you feel about occupational questionnaires or personality questionnaires?
Original post by J-SP
These tests might seem silly/irrelevant but are one of the strongest predictors of performance on the job compared to other parts of the recruitment process. It's why many organisations rely on them.

My advice would be to stop trying to over analyse it (this is where people go wrong with them) and just respond to them in an honest and "gut reaction" type way (as long as you have thoroughly read and understood the content).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying they're completely bad, I'm just very, very sceptical of them.

Do you know if there is any independent evidence to support that these tests are indications of job performance? From what I can tell, most of this 'evidence' usually comes from the test providers trying to flog their products for extortionate fees - they've created a whole industry and cash cow out of it.

Most of these tests ask things like percentage change. Obviously someone would not have got into LSE without knowing how to do that. If by some miracle, they managed then it would only take 15 seconds to bring someone up to speed on it.

I disagree with the way they are used also. It wouldn't be so bad if they are used at the beginning of the application like BAML so you don't spend hours on the application if you're going nowhere.

Even so, every internship you apply to, you have to resit these tests as if they expect your natural ability has somehow gone from excellent to retarded in the space of nine months. By this logic, all employees should be tested every year to make sure they haven't lost their natural ability.

Institutions like Goldman Sachs don't even use them for most of their programmes, they don't seem to have lost out on this talent these tests are suppose to find. In fact, they actually say they'd rather judge the candidate on their fit rather than ability to pass another test which seems far more logical considering the candidate has probably already sat in excess of 25 exams to get there in the first place.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but it's just my take on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Go to official site, read through and listen to videos talking about the values of the company. Let it go for one day and then come back and give the test. That's what I did. And guess what, I succeeded!!!There is no right or wrong, it's how the company woulk lke you to react on certain circumstances. This is why your score may vary from company to company, because they are looking for specific skills depending on comapny and role

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending