The Student Room Group

Applying to Home Office as AO / Asylum Decision Maker

Hi there,

I'm planning on applying for two jobs within Home Office.

One is as an AO which seems to involve general admin duties

The other is as an Asylum Decision Maker.

If anyone has gone through the processes for either of these roles and has any tips or advise as to the application process or what comes up in interviews that would be great

Or if anyone is in either of these roles I would love to know how you find it. Do you enjoy the work? What arefbhe pros and cons?

Would love to hear back anything

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I applied for asylum decision maker about a month ago. The process seems to be long winded but manageable, mainly consisting of online tests that you cannot really prepare for. The first was a psychological assessment which was about 9 online ‘game’ like tests which tested your judgement and reaction time. I applied for asylum caseworker at the same time so I struggle to remember which assessment was for each but I am pretty sure both had a behaviour/ judgement test to see how you would react to situations. The positive is that once you pass a certain test you will not have to redo it for the other role you apply for. The main difference I have noticed so far is after the online tests for asylum decision maker you will be invited to a video interview assessment but for the other you will be asked to provide a personal statement before the video interview stage. :smile:
Hi
What questions were you asked in the video sift please
Original post by Razordark
Hi
What questions were you asked in the video sift please

I haven't done it yet

But also eager to find out if anyone else knows
Original post by Ruby Woo 83
I haven't done it yet

But also eager to find out if anyone else knows

I did mine on Saturday
was really confused because it wasn’t competency based or behaviours
not sure how it works
Reply 5
Hey
New to this thread, had my oac on 8/3 for Glasgow and not heard anything back the wait is killing me 😩😩
Anyone else from Glasgow still waiting to hear back after the oac?
Original post by Razordark
I did mine on Saturday
was really confused because it wasn’t competency based or behaviours
not sure how it works

I was confused too as I was expecting a mix of strengths and behaviours questions but only had 5 strengths questions.

Hope yours went well, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for our results.
Original post by sa7050
Hey
New to this thread, had my oac on 8/3 for Glasgow and not heard anything back the wait is killing me 😩😩

Hi, I did my oac on 15/3, it wasn’t for Glasgow but we were told at the end results would be given on week commencing 3/4. Did they give you an estimate for when the results would be given?
Reply 8
They never gave an estimate, buts still nothing :frown:
I'll wait for close of business today and see what they say
Reply 9
Original post by sa7050
Hey

I had mine the same time. Was told I would hear by 10th April. I was told there had been delays but I've been offered another job elsewhere. I'm so conflicted, really wanted this job but can't afford to lose the other one. No one seems to have a time frame. Just keep being told to keep checking the portal!
Reply 10
Original post by Remi27
I had mine the same time. Was told I would hear by 10th April. I was told there had been delays but I've been offered another job elsewhere. I'm so conflicted, really wanted this job but can't afford to lose the other one. No one seems to have a time frame. Just keep being told to keep checking the portal!

Was that for Glasgow?
Reply 11
Hi,
I just got my result. My interview was on 12th April I guess. But I did not pass in the interview :frown: . Can you tell me about the marks distribution and how much was the total mark in the interview?
Hi there, @Fairyfari! I am so sorry that you did not pass the Online Assessment Centre! I am afraid that I do not know the figures of this, but I hope you will apply next time!

I had my OAC on the 2nd May for this role, and I definitely found the tasks interesting!
Reply 13
It was all online. I passed situation Judgment test and sift. But, I failed in the interview.
I’m so sorry to hear that!
Reply 15
Original post by Fairyfari
Hi,
I just got my result. My interview was on 12th April I guess. But I did not pass in the interview :frown: . Can you tell me about the marks distribution and how much was the total mark in the interview?

Hi, how did u come to know about ur unsuccessful interview?
Reply 16
Original post by zuneera
Hi, how did u come to know about ur unsuccessful interview?

You can see the feedback and your score. I failed AO but passed EO. Now waiting for my security clearance. Keep applying, it will help you to get a better understanding of success profile.
Reply 17
You can see the feedback and your score. I failed AO but passed EO. Now waiting for my security clearance. Keep applying, it will help you to get a better understanding of success profile.

Thanks, I had my interview last week but didn't receive any email . How long it will take? Thanks again for ur advice.
Reply 18
Original post by zuneera
Thanks, I had my interview last week but didn't receive any email . How long it will take? Thanks again for ur advice.

Home office takes ages to process result as they deal with bulk candidates. Usually the whole process takes 6 months from the date of the deadline. After interview, you need to wait atleast for one and half month. Keep an eye on your email. I have been waiting for 6 months plus already. Looks like it will be 7 to 7.5months in total since the closing date of the application in my case. Good luck.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 19
Home office takes ages to process result as they deal with bulk candidates. Usually the whole process takes 6 months from the date of the deadline. After interview, you need to wait atleast for one and half month. Keep an eye on your email. I have been waiting for 6 months plus already. Looks like it will be 7 to 7.5months in total since the closing date of the application in my case. Good luck.

Thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending