The Student Room Group

A levels for medicine

I'm conflicted between:

English Lit
Religious Studies
Geography

I'd like to go to UCL so I was thinking more English Lit as they like contrasting subjects.

However, teachers have suggested I do RE due to the ethics components in it. However, I find it quite cumbersome.

Geography is my most favoured however I don't know if it adds enough variety.

And English lit, albeit interesting, has a little too much reading for my liking.

Thanks
Best to do the one which you get the best grades in, with something like medicine, you should be able to tie in ethics from your placements/work experience in your personal statement. If you were going for a different course, it would require you to talk about what you are studying more, and then the choice would be more important, whereas with medicine, most of the weight of the personal statement and such would be about your desire to study medicine and work experience!

Therefore, do the favourite as A levels aren't easy and I know myself I found respite in taking English instead of Physics and it worked because I got an A:smile:
Original post by Charletitia
Best to do the one which you get the best grades in, with something like medicine, you should be able to tie in ethics from your placements/work experience in your personal statement. If you were going for a different course, it would require you to talk about what you are studying more, and then the choice would be more important, whereas with medicine, most of the weight of the personal statement and such would be about your desire to study medicine and work experience!

Therefore, do the favourite as A levels aren't easy and I know myself I found respite in taking English instead of Physics and it worked because I got an A:smile:

Thanks for your reply. Anyone else.
Reply 3
Any of those are fine - you shouldn't talk about your A level subjects in a medicine PS so unless there is a specific requirement that the third subject is a science (Cambridge) or language or whatever, it is irrelevant as long as you get an A in it.
Reply 4
Go for the subject that you enjoy the most/are likely to get the best grade in. Tbh, you could easily learn about the ethics before you interview. As long as you have the core subjects I shouldn't think that it matters!
Original post by jake4198
I'm conflicted between:

English Lit
Religious Studies
Geography

I'd like to go to UCL so I was thinking more English Lit as they like contrasting subjects.

However, teachers have suggested I do RE due to the ethics components in it. However, I find it quite cumbersome.

And English lit, albeit interesting, has a little too much reading for my liking.

Thanks

It really doesn't matter at all. Just do the one you'd enjoy the most.
Original post by jake4198
I'm conflicted between:

English Lit
Religious Studies
Geography

Thanks

Do the subject you think you are most likely to get an A in as that is the most important thing. If that is geography, do geography. If you are wanting to apply to UCL, then geography IS a contrasting subject for medicine; they just prefer you not to have done all science/maths; geography involves essay writing, social issues etc., so is a humanity/social science as well.

Either way, far better to have AAA to include geography than AAB if you chose a subject just because you thought unis would prefer it and be left with no offers/missing your offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending