The Student Room Group

9 Middle-aged White women convicted for mass fraud via pyramid scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reformed
they are both theft of money, amounts maybe similar. i would argue stealing from people directly is wore than stealing from a large heavily insured bank
it's difficult to believe that someone could seriously post something like this

a bank robbery includes violence or threat of violence. A fraud doesn't.

They are two vastly different kettles of fish.
they are both theft of money, amounts maybe similar. i would argue stealing from people directly is wore than stealing from a large heavily insured bank

But bank robbery usually involves aggravating factors such as a degree of violence, making people frightened, and endangering lives and wellbeing.
Reply 22

Well its not because bank robberies tend to involve violence and weapons. Physical violence of the threat of it will always result in a harsher sentence than something like fraud. Unless the scales are huge such as Maddoff who is serving a 150 year prison sentence.
Reply 23
Original post by mariachi
it's difficult to believe that someone could seriously post something like this

a bank robbery includes violence or threat of violence. A fraud doesn't.

They are two vastly different kettles of fish.

many robberys are with fake weapons, yes there is faked threat of violence, but this passes. the bank will get their 20k back on insurance

the people in this case have lost all their money and will never get it back, their lives could be destroyed by these greedy women
Reply 24
Original post by Good bloke
But bank robbery usually involves aggravating factors such as a degree of violence, making people frightened, and endangering lives and wellbeing.

most robberys people dont actually get hurt.

the main crime is the stealing of large amounts of money. in both cases large amounts have been theived, but one crime gets 15 years in jail and the other 9 months. there must be something else that explains the discrepancy in stealing in both cases money
Reply 25
Original post by Aj12
Well its not because bank robberies tend to involve violence and weapons. Physical violence of the threat of it will always result in a harsher sentence than something like fraud. Unless the scales are huge such as Maddoff who is serving a 150 year prison sentence.

madoff got a correct jail term for fraud to die in prison , beucase its america i guess. in uk white middle aged women can cheat hundreds of people out of their savings and get 9 months in jail. less than until recently people could be for not paying a tv licence fine. please explain using all your knowledge
(edited 9 years ago)
Link to the story?
Reply 27
Probably one of those ads for a £500/day internet job that require a deposit.

Pyramid schemes never work lol. The people at the bottom always get ripped off.
(edited 9 years ago)
in uk white middle aged women can cheat hundreds of people out of their savings and get 9 months in jail.
you seem to have some beef with white middle-aged women who commit fraud

let me guess ... did you have in the past some bad experiences with white middle-aged female fraudsters ?
Original post by tengentoppa
Gullible morons should know it's not that easy to make money. I feel little sympathy for the victims.

They usually target the elderley who may have dementia, etc..
Original post by Good bloke
Why is it relevant that they are white, middle-aged or female? Or even that there are nine?

Any relevant discussion, surely, is moot, as it must be reasonable to expect that frauds who prey on innocent people should go to gaol.

so we know the demographic who did it lol.

More interesting than 9 people commit mass fraud. Could be 9 babies, 9 old men, 9 teenagers. That is information I would like to know
Reply 31
madoff got a correct jail term for fraud to die in prison , beucase its america i guess. in uk white middle aged women can cheat hundreds of people out of their savings and get 9 months in jail. less than until recently people could be for not paying a tv licence fine. please explain using all your knowledge

I'm not sure what you want to be told here or why you think their race and sex is at all relevant. These are different crimes it is as simple as that. As for your comment about the TV license I doubt anyone has gone to prison for it.
these white women made a lot of money, tens of thousands. that is the carrot used to trick other people think they can also make money, when all it is a big con

that's not a lot of money....
Original post by TroyAndAbed
WHY is WOMEN not capitalised in the title??????? Middle-aged & white are both capitalised so OP must be a filthy MISOGYNIST.

You need to calm your keyboard-warrior-yelling-sense down. Just because he did not capitalise women in the title, does not mean that he's a misogynist. As a well wisher, keep yourself away from feminists for a while.
what about the hundreds of white middle aged men exploiting the whole world at wall street everyday who gain millions and will never see a day in prison

Please discuss this
Haha I think people are missing the point. OP wasn't trying to accuse white women. He mentioned it as part of the story, because people wouldn't think middle aged white women are usually scammers.
if a black man robbed a bank of tens of thousands of pounds, he would be jailed for 15 years. please discuss this

That's a completely different crime. Robbing a bank usually requires the use of or threat of lethal force. What the nine women did was despicable, but didn't put anyone's lives at risk.
Original post by Exon
Probably one of those ads for a £500/day internet job that require a deposit.

Pyramid schemes never work lol. The people at the bottom always get ripped off.

Yeah, I mean... that's kind of the point of a pyramid scheme.
Reply 38
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Yeah, I mean... that's kind of the point of a pyramid scheme.

For the people that make them yes. For the majority who are dumb enough to fall for it, nope.
if a black man robbed a bank of tens of thousands of pounds, he would be jailed for 15 years. please discuss this

If anyone robbed a bank of tens of thousands of pounds, they would be jailed for 15+ years.

Pyramid schemes are different from bank robbery. Get a grip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending