The Student Room Group

Are my qualifications sufficient?

I'm applying to uni this fall for entry in 2007 to study English and French. I'm targeting some very good institutions like Oxford, Warwick and Nottingham, but I'm not really sure about my chances. My grades are very good and my qualifications are fine except for only having English at A2-level (I'm doing the IB). The course does include quite a lot of literature (6 major works in two years), and I'll be getting a bilingual diploma when I graduate, but do you think this will still hinder my chances of getting accepted?
I'd say you actually have a better chance than many other students, especially as you have English at A-Level along with the IB. A lot of universities prefer something like the IB, as it's considered more academic than the A-Level system.
Reply 2
as said above, people here tend to do either A levels or the IB. to have done both, if i understand you correctly, for english, would be more than adequate.

to study english at uni here, all that people do is take english for A level (as well as two or three other subjects). the next step after A2 is what you're applying for - university level study! good luck.
Reply 3
you did english at higher level right? even if you didn't, you're doing A-level, so no problem! what IB score are you predicted, and what grade for A-level?
Reply 4
Oh, you all misunderstood. My post was a bit unclear, sorry. I'm not doing the A-levels, only the IB (I'm not even British), and within the IB I'm taking English at A2-level (you can study languages at A1, A2, B and ab initio levels). A1 is your mother tongue and A2 is a second language which is at a very high level, at the end of the course nearly native. So I was worried about not having done English at the highest level (it's not even offered as A1 in my school).

Latest

Trending

Trending