The Student Room Group

Will my predicted grades prevent me from getting offers for a language degree???

Hey guys,

I was planning on applying to study Spanish with Chinese (2015 entry) with my A levels being in Spanish, German and Biology. Currently my predictions are BBB however most universities that I have looked at want ABB, do you think they will still make me an offer? I'm planning on applying to Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham (still unsure of the other 2).
Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi,

A safe way to expect an offer (with good personal statement etc.) is that your grades (GCSEs, AS and predicted) are up to the standard they expect. If you're looking at unis with higher offers than your predicted grades they won't look as favourably upon you as they will applicants with higher grades. If you've only just got your predictions then have a chat with your teachers (particularly in Spanish) to see if you can get your predicted grade(s) moved up. Otherwise it's difficult to know :/

Best of luck with it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by enimpri
Hi,

A safe way to expect an offer (with good personal statement etc.) is that your grades (GCSEs, AS and predicted) are up to the standard they expect. If you're looking at unis with higher offers than your predicted grades they won't look as favourably upon you as they will applicants with higher grades. If you've only just got your predictions then have a chat with your teachers (particularly in Spanish) to see if you can get your predicted grade(s) moved up. Otherwise it's difficult to know :/

Best of luck with it :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 3
I just got back all of my offers for Japanese from my universities and while my predicted grades were ABB I got an offer from leads at AAB so I am not sure that your predicted grades are looked on too much. I also asked the same question to a professor of Japanese at Sheffield who used to be an admissions offer and he told me something along the lines of 50% of predicted grades are under predictions and 50% are over, a good personal statement showing you have real passion for your languages should make up for lower predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending