The Student Room Group

Cambridge- Are my percentages ok?

I've heard that you've got a good shot at Cambridge if you have an 85% average at AS... I got 81%, 84%, 85% and 86% averaging at 84%
But 3 of my modules were over 90% (which I've heard they like)
BUT I did get a B and a C in separate modules (the C was in coursework worth 25% of the AS)

I know it's a long shot (it is for most people) but I don't want to regret not applying if there's any chance I could get a place!

P.S I do History, Politics, Art and English Literature and want to study History at uni
(Thinking of applying to either King's College or Trinity Hall- advice on this would be great too)

Got 4As at AS but my GCSE performance was average
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
85% average is the minimum percentage needed to have a chance of being interviewed at most colleges - the average successful applicant has an average of 93-96% UMS depending on subject (I think that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) It's not impossible for you to get an interview - I got an offer with lower UMS than you, although I applied for Education with MML (French) which is much less competitive than history. It's your decision, but just be aware that there will be many applicants applying with higher UMS scores than you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lydiacl
I've heard that you've got a good shot at Cambridge if you have an 85% average at AS... I got 81%, 84%, 85% and 86% averaging at 84%
But 3 of my modules were over 90% (which I've heard they like)
BUT I did get a B and a C in separate modules (the C was in coursework worth 25% of the AS)

I know it's a long shot (it is for most people) but I don't want to regret not applying if there's any chance I could get a place!

P.S I do History, Politics, Art and English Literature and want to study History at uni
(Thinking of applying to either King's College or Trinity Hall- advice on this would be great too)

Take a look at this - you can see that the proportion of people getting offers with UMS <85 is pretty low.

Well, you certainly would stand a good chance if you had 95 average! That would be excessive to state as some kind of minimum though. The presentation above gives the raw data.

Quick Reply

Latest