The Student Room Group

Guy I'm interested in told me that 'looks don't matter'?

... does this mean he thinks that I'm unattractive? He was also telling me about different qualities his ideal girl would possess. Would this guy talk about his exes and what he wants in a girl around someone if he liked me? It's thrown me off bc I thought he did like me before this point.

Thanks for reading :smile:
He likes you
Reply 2
Do you think? I assumed if he was talking about other girls and stuff he only thinks of me as a friend
Hmm. From what you've said, I'm into entirely sure that he does. Unless this is some weird new way of flirting that I've never seen before. But guys generally don't bring up their exes in conversations with girls they like.
Reply 4
Going about it badly, but he likes you

Posted from TSR Mobile
He may be thinking that he is scoring points with you by telling you that looks dont matter, so he is not like all those other guys. In which case it is bs and rather low move to make just bzcause he knows/thinks that girls hate guys that go after looks, which we all do in all honesty.

Or he may think you are not that pretty facially but the rest is good so wants sex with you for that. You have to be honest with yourself here and judge whether this is likely the case. If so then go with what you've got good going for you and décide if you want to be in a relationship with him based on that.

Or he might be talking about some other girl or just wittering on without really considering what ge is saying or what/if you are rrading into it.
Looks don't matter? What? I don't think there's a man alive who completely disregards looks when picking a girl. Sounds like he's possibly trying to reassure you that he likes you despite your look? In some weird convoluted way. Or maybe he just wants to confide in someone as a friend. Generally guys don't talk about their exes with girls they want something to happen with.
I think he is probably lying to you.
Reply 8
This is typical of the way the female brain works.

What they want for other people and what they want for themselves are diametric opposites.

It's great to say "looks don't matter" and "he should want you for you" and all that - as long as it's only with reference to other people.

When it comes to themselves "Looks don't matter" is clearly interpreted as a negative.

I'd ask this - if the same bloke had said "Looks really matter" there would have been a whole bunch of people saying how bad he is.

If he had been going out with someone else and had said "Looks don't matter" it would have been a case of "oh that's so sweet".
Reply 9
Original post by Clip
This is typical of the way the female brain works.

What they want for other people and what they want for themselves are diametric opposites.

It's great to say "looks don't matter" and "he should want you for you" and all that - as long as it's only with reference to other people.

When it comes to themselves "Looks don't matter" is clearly interpreted as a negative.

I'd ask this - if the same bloke had said "Looks really matter" there would have been a whole bunch of people saying how bad he is.

If he had been going out with someone else and had said "Looks don't matter" it would have been a case of "oh that's so sweet".

Hit the nail on the head with that one.
i think he's just being mean. why would he say that looks dosen't matter, unless ofcourse he is talking about character attributes in a potential GF...in which case why does he have to like you? :zomg:
I think he thinks that is impressing you by saying that... just be careful he's not a player because that sounds like something a player would say to make you think he's a nice guy who doesn't care about looks (when really player's are only out for sex of course and looks really DO matter). Either that or he is just a bit awkward around girls he likes :tongue:
Meh, I don't know, thanks for the replies anyway, it is a bit of a stupid question really. :P

I don't think im modelesque but I don't think I'm horrific either lol. But yeah thanks for your responses
I think @clip, you are massively generalising to say the least when you say this is 'how the female brain works. That is a hugely sweeping statement to make about half of the population. I am one woman, not evidence of all women that ever existed. Clearly I was asking this bc it makes me feel insecure about my looks. I don't care about it being applied to any other women or men because I don't judge other people as harshly as I judge myself. I don't think you'd be too flattered if someone said looks don't matter to you. It's not a gender related thing.
Original post by Sazzy890
I think he thinks that is impressing you by saying that... just be careful he's not a player because that sounds like something a player would say to make you think he's a nice guy who doesn't care about looks (when really player's are only out for sex of course and looks really DO matter). Either that or he is just a bit awkward around girls he likes :tongue:

I don't think a player would use such a crap line.

It sounds like he's trying to tell you want you want to hear. I remember when first being around girls being ultra careful not to say anything about their bodies because I thought it would sound creepy.
Yeah I suppose it is quite a difficult line to tread as a guy! I don't think he is a player since he has been single for a few years I think
A) He may like you, or;
B) he may simply be talking to you as a friend about his genuine opinion that personality is more important than beauty. Or;
C) he may just be saying what he thinks makes him sound nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending