The Student Room Group

Bulge in testicle

Ok first of all I will be plucking up the courage to go to a GP about this at some point in the week...I just want some reassurance if at all possible :redface:

I've recently developed a bulge in my left testicle (well, right, but it's on the left looking down erm..). And I've really worked myself up now because upon Googling etc it could obviously be cancer or whatever else, but what sounds most likely is a hernia (better than cancer clearly, but I'm still terrified :frown:) Add to this, I've been experiencing tinges in my chest when bending over for about the past year or so..it's weird, it doesn't feel momentarily painful, almost more awkward and sending me a "stop!" message. This is another symptom of a hernia apparently, however I have two hopes that may make this all unfortunate coincidence.

First is that I put the bending down thing to putting on weight too fast, and even after a few days of losing some weight it felt ever so slightly better, as if it was the actual weight itself causing me trouble and tightness. If it was a hernia or suchlike, I wouldn't be able to shift symptoms so easily right?
Secondly with the testicle thing, a few months ago both my testicles and the scrotum had begun to drop in a large way but in a very normal fashion as if it was normal development (I'm a late bloomer let's say, starting growing some actual chest hair for the first time around the same time). So while this was going on they became more of a handful let's say, and a bulge became apparent, then it went away again now it's back and seemingly more permanent.

Ah I'm just so worried..I know I'm not alone by any stretch whatever it is, I've just had so many years of being unhealthy with diet etc and was just beginning to start all over again and be the person I'd never been before. It would be an irony if now was the time I was starting to get something bad due to the past :frown:

Thanks for your time guys.
If you think you may have a hernia you should still inform your doctor as they most often only become more prominent with time, and are very curable with an operation.
Most testicular cysts turn out to be benign, however as you're doing it's certainly worth getting a quick check up with your G.P. just to be on the safe side. Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LauraB101
If you think you may have a hernia you should still inform your doctor as they most often only become more prominent with time, and are very curable with an operation. Most testicular cysts turn out to be benign, however it's certainly worth getting a quick check up with your G.P. just to be on the safe side.
As for the pain in your chest, this is likely to be due to a muscle you pulled during strenuous exercise, though this is also worth mentioning to your doctor as it can be a symptom of persistent heartburn or in rarer cases a condition relating to the heart. Good luck :smile:

Many thanks Laura :smile:, I was going to put off going to the doctor as long as possible (stupid of course, because as you say things are better treated as early as possible..it's just the fear of being certain anything is there at all), but now the need to find out what's up has overwhelmed the fear of it possibly being something.

Ah could a bulge really be a cyst? It isn't external, it's definitely inside.

How come you say the chest pain would be other things not hernia related? It's hard to describe..it feels a general chest area rather than right bang in the middle of it...perhaps my whole chest / stomach area actually..just a sense of straining. However it doesn't FEEL like it's quite down at groin level.

Thank you again.
I had (possibly still have?) an enlarged vein just above my left ball that I noticed when I was 15 (ie. 11 years ago) and was scared of, assuming the worst. Saw a doctor, was told it could be treated if I wanted. I just left it alone and although it would ache from time to time it has never been a problem. Moral of the story - scrotal weirdness can be all sorts of things, not necessarily serious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I had (possibly still have?) an enlarged vein just above my left ball that I noticed when I was 15 and was scared of, assuming the worst. Saw a doctor, was told it could be treated if I wanted. I just left it alone and although it would ache from time to time it has never been a problem. Moral of the story - scrotal weirdness can be all sorts of things, not necessarily serious.

Thanks for the post and kind thought. While I will still go to docs and am still worried, I have a slightly more ignorance is bliss feel now - sifting through Google it just came back with the same things all the time - bad bad bad. I know you shouldn't rely on the internet for health issues but usually when I have a fear there is always a reprieve at some point, somewhere...not so with hernia and the symptoms I may be displaying :frown:

Anyway thanks again, much appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Many thanks Laura :smile:, I was going to put off going to the doctor as long as possible (stupid of course, because as you say things are better treated as early as possible..it's just the fear of being certain anything is there at all), but now the need to find out what's up has overwhelmed the fear of it possibly being something.

Ah could a bulge really be a cyst? It isn't external, it's definitely inside.

How come you say the chest pain would be other things not hernia related? It's hard to describe..it feels a general chest area rather than right bang in the middle of it...perhaps my whole chest / stomach area actually..just a sense of straining. However it doesn't FEEL like it's quite down at groin level.

Thank you again.

A doctor would much rather see people with things that turn out to be nothing rather than be too late to intervene with any condition someone may have. A doctor can also discuss any anxieties you may be having about it to put your mind at ease.
Cysts can develop inside or outside of the testes. In a lot of cases they just turn out to be sebaceous/fatty tissue build up, though cause for concern would be regular changes in size or shape. It's worth getting it checked out anyway.
The chest pain you're describing could be due to a number of things; including a hernia, sleep apnoea or persistent heartburn. Because you've had it for a while, you should speak to your doctor about that too just to be on the safe side.
No problem :smile:
Reply 6
A doctor would much rather see people with things that turn out to be nothing rather than be too late to intervene with any condition someone may have. A doctor can also discuss any anxieties you may be having about it to put your mind at ease.
Cysts can develop inside or outside of the testes. In a lot of cases they just turn out to be sebaceous/fatty tissue build up, though cause for concern would be regular changes in size or shape. It's worth getting it checked out anyway.
The chest pain you're describing could be due to a number of things; including a hernia, sleep apnoea or persistent heartburn. Because you've had it for a while, you should speak to your doctor about that too just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again! You are very calming, I'm guessing you are a future doctor yourself? :biggrin: (You don't have to reply to this, I'm just saying)
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks again! You are very calming, I'm guessing you are a future doctor yourself? :biggrin: (You don't have to reply to this, I'm just saying)

Thank you :smile: hopefully haha, I'm working towards it so am quite well read on this stuff.
Reply 8

Sorry, just been having another look at them and unlike before (or maybe I just wasn't holding them correctly..god this is embarrassing to type even as an anon!) the one I'm worried about seems to be carrying the bigger weight of the two? Sorry what I mean is that the non offending testicle is far smaller now and all the time they've been hanging to the left side..like the left one is holding more of the two of them? That doesn't even make sense does it sorry.. Basically I just feel it's more a localised issue now but who knows, will find out for sure soon enough hopefully.
Reply 9
Bump :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest