The Student Room Group

Could I get into IB if i went to Exeter,Bath, York or Southampton

I would like to break into investment banking and ive decided to do Accounting and finance/management at unis i mentioned above.

I dont really expect to get into Bulge Bracket Investment Banks but could i possibly get into Boutique Investment Banks or IBABs
Potentially yes but I imagine you'll have a tougher route than someone who just went to a target uni. Investment banks also don't care what degree you did, as long as you did it at a target uni - and there are plenty of courses at target unis with lower entry criteria than those courses at non-target unis. Could just as well do Anthropology at UCL, History of Art at Warwick, ASNAC at Cambridge, Geography at Oxford etc. Whatever floats your boat really.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Potentially yes but I imagine you'll have a tougher route than someone who just went to a target uni. Investment banks also don't care what degree you did, as long as you did it at a target uni - and there are plenty of courses at target unis with lower entry criteria than those courses at non-target unis. Could just as well do Anthropology at UCL, History of Art at Warwick, ASNAC at Cambridge, Geography at Oxford etc. Whatever floats your boat really.

Would it be helpful if i did a masters at a target school later on. I would like to do something related to finance but my gcses due to personal reasons are holding me back from applying to the target universities.
Reply 3
Original post by yupcabra23
Would it be helpful if i did a masters at a target school later on. I would like to do something related to finance but my gcses due to personal reasons are holding me back from applying to the target universities.

What is preventing you from applying to Warwick?

Just do a degree in something else which is of intellectual, not just professional, interest to you at a target uni. Then you don't need to try and ameliorate a lack of a target uni on your CV later with an obscenely expensive masters degree. As target unis know students who didn't go there for undergrad may need to do this to pursue a career in investment banking and so the tuition fees for any kind of business/management/finance/accounting/etc related masters at a target uni is obscenely high. Whereas if you'd just done an undergraduate degree in e.g. economic history at LSE, you could just get into IBanking directly without having to go through that malarkey.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What is preventing you from applying to Warwick?

Only did 2 gcse's cause i moved to the uk when i was 16.
Reply 6
Only did 2 gcse's cause i moved to the uk when i was 16.

Ah, ok - thats a hassle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending