The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Where should I live in Bath?

I'm moving to Bath on a restricted budget. What are your suggestions on where I should live?
Original post by jordangirling
I'm moving to Bath on a restricted budget. What are your suggestions on where I should live?

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Reply 2
Not sure when you are/were moving but Bath is a pretty expensive place to live. Most of the students live in Oldielf Park and rent can go upto £400 every month depending on the house. The most I paid was £385 per month. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Hi, I might be coming to Bath Spa next year and wanted to know if there was any accommodation that will allow me to bring a car? The Unite accommodation seems promising but if not will I have to look in the private sector?
Reply 4
I graduated from Bath Spa last July and lived in various places around Bath while I was studying there.
In terms of first year halls, I know that Unite accommodation (Charlton and Waterside courts) are very popular and probably the best situated accommodation for both getting up to campus(15-20min bus ride) and getting into the city centre easily (10-15 min walk). I can't remember their cost exactly, but I think that for the accommodation, wifi and utilities (all in the price) it's about 400pcm for waterside and another like 10-20 a month for Charlton because you have less people in flats and a slightly larger bed.

Since I've left they've opened a new set of halls on campus which I can't tell you about because I know nothing about them, though if you contact people at the university (student [email protected]) they'll be able to tell you all about them.

In terms of living privately, you very much get what you pay for. DONT leave getting a house to the last minute if possible because all the good ones with half-decent landlords will be gone. In my first year I paid 300 a month for a house in Oldfield Park (a very student-y area) and shared with 4 others and had one Bathroom between us. The house was bad - damp constantly, tiny, cold, not cleaned well before we moved in, etc. Saying that, there are lots of nice houses in Oldfield Park but again, you get what you pay for.

The cheapest place in Bath to live (without being a mile away from everybody else at Bath Spa) must be Ewerton, but it's the place that everybody takes the piss out of... It's seen as the sort of Peckham of Bath. Because of this, the prices of living there are cheaper. Nicer houses (in an area that isn't as nice) could probably be found around the £300pcm mark, though could probably quite easily drop to less than that. If you're looking for dirt cheap houses that won't be great, £250 a month in Twerton may be do-able but you're not going to like the house and may find it tough to find other people keen to stay there.

There are other areas - Odd Down, Combe Down, Southdown (strangely they're all very high up despite having down in their names), etc. are all further out but might offer slightly cheaper prices as they're further from the City Centre, though the money saved on cheaper rent may be lost on the extra cost of buses and taxis. Weston, another area that's very well located as it's on the bus route from the city to uni, has generally very nice houses which are variably priced (£320-380pcm) based on lots of things. I would live in Weston if I were you - fastest and most regular buses into the city, close to Halls for all social aspects, close to the city and generally slightly larger houses. 10 min walk to moorland road, the high street in Oldfield Park where lots of other students are, and has its own supermarkets (Tesco and Spar).. Pretty much everything you need. Oh and most houses there have a garden and a drive/road space for cars (invaluable when moving in/out/generally having a car).

I know this is obvious, but some things drive the house price up other than location, i.e. Person:Bathroom ratio, size of rooms (sometimes rent varies within one house depending on room size), car parking spaces, garden size, how well the house has been maintained/furnished etc.

I haven't posted on here before but presume I'll get updates if somebody else posts on here? Anyway, I'll respond to questions if you have any. Hope this has helped a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending