The Student Room Group

Plymouth or Leeds??

AS: ABBB
Predictions: A*AA
GCSE's: 2A*'s 10A's and 2B's
UKCAT: 590 band 1

Would it be safer to apply to Plymouth or Leeds? Which one will give me a better chance?
Original post by khannnn
AS: ABBB
Predictions: A*AA
GCSE's: 2A*'s 10A's and 2B's
UKCAT: 590 band 1

Would it be safer to apply to Plymouth or Leeds? Which one will give me a better chance?

Edit: Neither

Which others can you apply to?
Reply 2
Original post by jenigma
Edit: Neither

Which others can you apply to?

Why neither?

For leeds they don't look at the UKCAT and I have to do the BMAT instead which is on the 5th of November.

For my other choices I was thinking, Bristol, Liverpool and Manchester
Leeds
Original post by khannnn
Why neither?

For leeds they don't look at the UKCAT and I have to do the BMAT instead which is on the 5th of November.

For my other choices I was thinking, Bristol, Liverpool and Manchester

Low UKCAT for Plymouth, not enough A*s for Leeds.

However, Leeds only need 6 Bs for entry. "Last year, over 40% of applicants achieved full marks on our academic scoring system which requires either 9 A* grades at GCSE" - from their website. You can apply obviously but 40% just seemed a lot to me. Your predictions are pretty great.

Bristol don't use UKCAT so you could try that. Does Manchester use the UKCAT?
Reply 5
Original post by jenigma
Low UKCAT for Plymouth, not enough A*s for Leeds.

However, Leeds only need 6 Bs for entry. "Last year, over 40% of applicants achieved full marks on our academic scoring system which requires either 9 A* grades at GCSE" - from their website. You can apply obviously but 40% just seemed a lot to me. Your predictions are pretty great.

Bristol don't use UKCAT so you could try that. Does Manchester use the UKCAT?

Yeah that could mean the other 60% probably got 4 or more A*'s at least for Leeds, so it looks like Leeds is out of the question for me :frown:

Manchester looks at the UKCAT, Liverpool doesn't. Which Uni's would you apply to with these scores?
Original post by khannnn
Yeah that could mean the other 60% probably got 4 or more A*'s at least for Leeds, so it looks like Leeds is out of the question for me :frown:

Manchester looks at the UKCAT, Liverpool doesn't. Which Uni's would you apply to with these scores?

I have entirely different scores to you so I cannot comment on where I'd apply. Have you chosen unis already?

I think you need to apply to your strengths. Your strength at the moment is your predictions first and foremost. But most unis looking at A*AA also look for great GCSEs. Your GCSE's aren't bad at all, just not enough for Leeds.

I suggest you come to your own conclusion using this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Quick Reply

Latest