The Student Room Group

Why are RAF ranks junior to RN and the Army?

After reading the raf website I came across this. Does this mean that a Cpt has more seniority than a Flt Lt even though they are generally the same rank? (Posted out of curiosity).
Reply 1
They're not.

By tradition, though, the RAF is listed third as it's the junior service. The ranks are equals.
Reply 2
Original post by SLClegg
After reading the raf website I came across this. Does this mean that a Cpt has more seniority than a Flt Lt even though they are generally the same rank? (Posted out of curiosity).

The ranks are equal, just the RAF as a service is junior to the other two
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
They're not.

By tradition, though, the RAF is listed third as it's the junior service. The ranks are equals.

Original post by Andy98
The ranks are equal, just the RAF as a service is junior to the other two

Ah i see! The way it is worded on the raf website confused me a little "the royal air force rank will be the junior of the three services".
Thanks for the clarification!
Reply 4
Original post by SLClegg
Ah i see! The way it is worded on the raf website confused me a little "the royal air force rank will be the junior of the three services".

No problemo
Reply 5
Basically, the RAF was the last of the three to come into being.
Conversely, RAF personnel often carry more individual responsibility at a lower rank than their Army counterparts. This is partly due to the slower promotion in the RAF (but you can stay in longer, so it all balances out eventually).
Original post by SLClegg

Could you post a link to where that is written, out of interest?

Cheers
Reply 8
I was once on a tri service course at the Purple School of Learning ( Defence Academy, Shrivenham) where, despite all the friendly banter, the undercurrent was still "we're the Army, and in charge around here, and don't you forget it"

I smiled, not only because, as a Non-Com, my salary was highest on the course and higher than some of the Commissioned Army Directing Staff, but also in memory of an incident in Iraq, where I overheard a Flt Sgt AEOp mate tell a Brigadier that he couldn't have his ISR asset, as it was required for a higher priority tasking, and no, he wasn't going to tell him what it was!

Made oi smile. A lot! That was a few years ago, perhaps perceptions and prejudices have changed and the Services really are Joint. Discuss.
Reply 9
Original post by Schleigg
Could you post a link to where that is written, out of interest?

Cheers

Sure

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/ranks.cfm
Reply 10
Original post by Ikaruss
I was once on a tri service course at the Purple School of Learning ( Defence Academy, Shrivenham) where, despite all the friendly banter, the undercurrent was still "we're the Army, and in charge around here, and don't you forget it"

I smiled, not only because, as a Non-Com, my salary was highest on the course and higher than some of the Commissioned Army Directing Staff, but also in memory of an incident in Iraq, where I overheard a Flt Sgt AEOp mate tell a Brigadier that he couldn't have his ISR asset, as it was required for a higher priority tasking, and no, he wasn't going to tell him what it was!

Made oi smile. A lot! That was a few years ago, perhaps perceptions and prejudices have changed and the Services really are Joint. Discuss.

You'll be pleased to know that it hasn't changed very much at all :biggrin:

The ISTAR/ISR/Air/Avn bun fight is still very much alive and kicking, and if you add in Battle Group or Brigade staff, then people do get very upset, very quickly, when they don't get their own way!
Original post by ProStacker
Conversely, RAF personnel often carry more individual responsibility at a lower rank than their Army counterparts. This is partly due to the slower promotion in the RAF (but you can stay in longer, so it all balances out eventually).

also stuff like SAC(T) rather than buckshee l/cpl - which is another situation where 'blue' RAF whether SAC or SAC(T) are junior to the rocks and pongos as l/cpl is a JNCO, despite being on the same or greater pay point in pay range 1
Reply 12
Original post by zippyRN
also stuff like SAC(T) rather than buckshee l/cpl - which is another situation where 'blue' RAF whether SAC or SAC(T) are junior to the rocks and pongos as l/cpl is a JNCO, despite being on the same or greater pay point in pay range 1

I have no idea if we are making the same point or not - but there were a lot of RAF in the same units as my trade - and it was always made clear that JT was not a command rank.

As for individual responsibility, it depends on how you look at it. Sure, a JT (or whatever they're called now) might be authorised equivalent to an Army Class 2 technician, or maybe a Class 1 - and can make decisions on chucking kit in the bin, but a Lance Corporal is a command rank and could be a section 2ic or the commander of a gun group or rifle section.
Clip there are techs on the Pongo side who are Lance jacks becasue they are techs and the reason they are Lance jacks is so they can "go out without a grown up " ...
Reply 14
Original post by zippyRN
Clip there are techs on the Pongo side who are Lance jacks becasue they are techs and the reason they are Lance jacks is so they can "go out without a grown up " ...

I thought they were made LCpl for the pay?

Another one of those confusions between qualification and rank, particularly prevalent in the technical trades.
Original post by NFI
I thought they were made LCpl for the pay?

Another one of those confusions between qualification and rank, particularly prevalent in the technical trades.

i think it's a bit of both - especially as in the Army there's the cap badge stuff to deal with , where you got techs with trade capabadge, assessing / testing whatever kit that is allocated to a teeth arms capbadged unit ...

combination of limited need for authority andpay was why -pre Nursing pay spine Registered Nurses were acting Cpl (QARANC/PMRAFNS)/ LNN on qualification

Quick Reply

Latest