The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Socrates
Read the full story here

Among those honoured are Salman Rushdie and Wafa Sultan, both who openly declare their "apostasy" from Islam. Yet they are being recognised by the AJC as "moderate" Muslims. Thoughts?

It rather seems to send out the message that the Jewish Council honors ex-muslims rather than muslims. These men seem an unwise choice. And I also think it's a highly presumptuos and patronizing endeavour anyway. As a Christian I certainly wouldn't want the AJC to honor and award "good little Christians" - "and this year's award for being a really nice (read "Jew friendly") Christian goes to........*drums role* Very patronizing IMO.
Howard
drums role

It's roll Howarth:biggrin: But I agree, it is patronising
Reply 3
Howard
It rather seems to send out the message that the Jewish Council honors ex-muslims rather than muslims. These men seem an unwise choice. And I also think it's a highly presumptuos and patronizing endeavour anyway. As a Christian I certainly wouldn't want the AJC to honor and award "good little Christians" - "and this year's award for being a really nice (read "Jew friendly") Christian goes to........*drums role* Very patronizing IMO.

Hmm. In this case, it seems the "moderate Muslims" are the ones that are slightly supportive of Israel. So by what you're saying, you're implying that it's part of religious Muslim doctorine to criticise Israel and its existence. I don't believe that is a fundamental law in Islam, is it? Therefore, I don't see how it's just "ex-Muslims" who can be seen as "moderate."

Just a thought.
Reply 4
gemgems89
Hmm. In this case, it seems the "moderate Muslims" are the ones that are slightly supportive of Israel. So by what you're saying, you're implying that it's part of religious Muslim doctorine to criticise Israel and its existence. I don't believe that is a fundamental law in Islam, is it? Therefore, I don't see how it's just "ex-Muslims" who can be seen as "moderate."

Just a thought.

Here's another thought. I don't see how ex-muslims can be seen as muslims at all.:confused:
Reply 5
naivesincerity
It's roll Howarth:biggrin: But I agree, it is patronising

Git.:wink:
Howard
Git.:wink:

Out with anger, in with love. Just trying to nurture your talents in a supportive way, to bring out the best in you:wink:
Reply 7
I'm surprised ol' Jonathan has nothing to say.
Those are the sort of Muslims I would consider moderate too. And if it is true that the only type of moderate Muslim is an ex-Muslim, I don't think that reflects well on the Muslims.
Reply 9
But they aren't Muslims! :rolleyes:

It does seem rather meaningless, and as Howard points out, patronising too.

I think it doesn't reflect rather well on AJC that they don't know that an ex-Muslim isn't a moderate Muslim because he/she is not a Muslim.
Reply 10
I have no problem with Salman Rushdie being honoured by the AJC - however, I'd think it would be more appropriate for his literary talents rather than for being a "moderate Muslim" (which he isn't) and I'm sure he himself would think of it a bit of an insult to be considered a moderate Muslim when he is a self confessed non Muslim.
I think the distinction is quite fatuous to be frank. And considering that the leaders of most Muslim groups, even those described as 'moderate' don't even come close to such a description in the minds of most people, I can't really think of many others who could be honoured in such a way. Certainly none as prominent. To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in this issue, I think they honoured some decent people and I don't think it matters whether they are moderate Muslims or "bad" Muslims or ex-Muslims.
Reply 12
I see you are very convienently avoiding the point.

They aren't Muslims; so why call them Muslims?
Howard
Here's another thought. I don't see how ex-muslims can be seen as muslims at all.:confused:
So you're basically saying that true Muslims are not able to support Israel?
Reply 14
That isn't the point though.

Those being honoured by AJC are non Muslims.
So, they're non-Muslims? And...?
To be honest, I think it'd do a hell of a lot of good for the reputation of the Muslim world if those people WERE Muslims.
Reply 16
They aren't Muslims yet they are being honoured as moderate Muslims - is that so hard to understand that it does not make sense?
JonathanH
So, they're non-Muslims? And...?
To be honest, I think it'd do a hell of a lot of good for the reputation of the Muslim world if those people WERE Muslims.

Might do some good to the Jewish reputation if they recognised some legitimate Palestinian grievances also.
naivesincerity
Might do some good to the Jewish reputation if they recognised some legitimate Palestinian grievances also.

Not many Jews deny that the Palestinians suffer. It's what they do as a result which earns them disrespect.
gemgems89
Not many Jews deny that the Palestinians suffer. It's what they do as a result which earns them disrespect.

And Israel doesn't ever behave in such a disreputable fashion right??

Latest

Trending

Trending