The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Keep the thread on topic, please.
Rushdie's a muslim ? :eek:

Anyway about time! Honouring moderates should have been done a long time ago, right before the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. This would have eased tension within the Muslim community considerably; and would may have even stopped attacks like 7/7.

Great news! However they might want to honouring actual muslims.
naivesincerity
And Israel doesn't ever behave in such a disreputable fashion right??

Does Israel represent the Jewish reputation?
gemgems89
Does Israel represent the Jewish reputation?

Partly, but I don't see how that's relevant to what I was asking
naivesincerity
Partly, but I don't see how that's relevant to what I was asking

You brought it up by saying that it'd do something for the Jewish reputation if they saw the Palestinians' grievances. Yet, Israel only "partly" represents their reputation. Contradiction!

Oh, and if Israel does represent Jewish reputation then how can anyone deny that anti-Zionism doesn't = anti-Semitism? Just wondering before you all shout at me. :rolleyes:
gemgems89
You brought it up by saying that it'd do something for the Jewish reputation if they saw the Palestinians' grievances. Yet, Israel only "partly" represents their reputation. Contradiction!

No it isn't a contradiction. eg, If 5 Liverpool players on a night out behave awfully, they partly represent the club's reputation, and hence tarnish it a little.
gemgems89

Oh, and if Israel does represent Jewish reputation then how can anyone deny that anti-Zionism doesn't = anti-Semitism? Just wondering before you all shout at me. :rolleyes:

Are all Israeli's Zionists who beleive Jews should conquer everywhere?
No Zionist believes Jews should conquer everywhere. :rolleyes:
naivesincerity
Are all Israeli's Zionists who beleive Jews should conquer everywhere?

Sorry?

naivesincerity
No it isn't a contradiction. eg, If 5 Liverpool players on a night out behave awfully, they partly represent the club's reputation, and hence tarnish it a little.

Pardon my use of language but it was just a NAIVE assertion to make.

Anyway - how does Israel represent Jewish reputation when Jews do not (especially outside of Israel) have any input as to the action the government takes. And if it partly represents the Jewish reputation and people are anti-Zionist then they are partly anti-Jewish. Logically.
naivesincerity
Oh yes. :wink: I was thinking of some crazy Jewish movement, can't recall their name
Obviously not a very prominent movement, then.
JonathanH

Actually a few jews DO believe that, and I should imagine they're zionists too. Wouldnt make much sense for them to believe in conquering everywhere and not believe in Israel existing.
Which Jews believe Jews should conquer "everywhere"? (Everywhere being, I presume, the whole world).
Given the prevalence of beliefs regarding the Evil Jews and their control of the world in the Arab and Islamic world, being honoured as a "moderate Muslim" by the AJC is the equivalent of having a big sign saying "Western Patsy" hung up over one's head.
Reply 33
gemgems89
So you're basically saying that true Muslims are not able to support Israel?

Erm....no, not really. I'm trying really hard to find anything remotely suggestive of that in my posts but so far have drawn an complete and utter blank. Please point to my folly.
Reply 34
Socrates
They aren't Muslims yet they are being honoured as moderate Muslims - is that so hard to understand that it does not make sense?

I agree. What's so difficult about this folks? It's like giving the nobel prize for physics to a poet.
Reply 35
Bismarck
There's already a fatwa against Rushdie. Will the ayotallohs threaten to kill him twice now?

Utterly useless post that adds nothing to the debate.

Are you lot all so dense, or is it, dare I say, that your allegiances blind you from the obvious?
Reply 36
I have to agree here, this is far more provocative and silly an event than anything the pope has uttered.
Socrates
Are you lot all so dense, or is it, dare I say, that your allegiances blind you from the obvious?

We can all see the point you're making. But I don't think any of us either care, see it as important, or think there needs to be a debate about it. Allow me to sum up the general feeling: "So?"
Reply 38
gemgems89
So you're basically saying that true Muslims are not able to support Israel?

No I doubt he's saying that at all. They don't practise the Islamic religion anymore so they are not muslims. But to be honoured as a 'moderate muslim' seems insulting, as they are not muslims at all. They denounced their religion and have openly admitted their apostasy from Islam (meaning they don't follow it anymore and don't believe in 'Allah and Mohammed SAW as the last messenger of Allah) so in effect they are not muslims....Actually...it has nothing to do with whether they support Isreal..
JonathanH

Only its immediate neigbours..

Latest

Trending

Trending