The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bismarck
There's already a fatwa against Rushdie. Will the ayotallohs threaten to kill him twice now?

What an idiotic post.
The worst part is that, if I'm not mistaken, fatwas can only be revoked/rescinded by the person who placed them. And the person who placed the fatwa calling for the death of Rushdie is dead. I can't remember who it was; might have been Khomeini himself.

Anyway, the point is that from an Islamic legal point of view (correct me if I'm wrong, of course) nothing can be done about it. Even if Rushdie converted to Islam and produced a big show confession repenting of even considering writing The Satanic Verses, together with a throroughly orthodox Islamic treatise of some kind, the hands of whoever wields legal power in the Islamic world these days would still be unavoidably tied.
watford110
Only its immediate neigbours..
That's why it gave, for instance, Sinai back to the Egyptians in negotiations, then?

If Israel really was expansionist in nature, the Middle East would find out pretty quickly. It has a very efficient army, at least where conventional warfare is concerned. How hard would it realistically be for Israel to conquer all its immediate neighbours, except possibly the main part of Egypt? And you'd end up with an Israel that stretched from Suez to the Euphrates and was roughly the size of France. Very roughly speaking.
Agent Smith
The worst part is that, if I'm not mistaken, fatwas can only be revoked/rescinded by the person who placed them. And the person who placed the fatwa calling for the death of Rushdie is dead. I can't remember who it was; might have been Khomeini himself.

Anyway, the point is that from an Islamic legal point of view (correct me if I'm wrong, of course) nothing can be done about it. Even if Rushdie converted to Islam and produced a big show confession repenting of even considering writing The Satanic Verses, together with a throroughly orthodox Islamic treatise of some kind, the hands of whoever wields legal power in the Islamic world these days would still be unavoidably tied.

It was indeed AyatAllah Khomeini [ra] who issued the fatwa on Rushdie.
From a Shia Islamic point of view the fatwa can be revoked. However, before Khomeini passed away he would have unofficially nominated his successor to take over as a Grand AyatAllah in place of him. And im pretty sure that successors can revoke a fatwa if necessary. But i highly doubt it in this particular case.
Agent Smith
That's why it gave, for instance, Sinai back to the Egyptians in negotiations, then?

If Israel really was expansionist in nature, the Middle East would find out pretty quickly. It has a very efficient army, at least where conventional warfare is concerned. How hard would it realistically be for Israel to conquer all its immediate neighbours, except possibly the main part of Egypt? And you'd end up with an Israel that stretched from Suez to the Euphrates and was roughly the size of France. Very roughly speaking.

JonathanH said that no zionists have aspirations for world domination (of course they already have domination:p: ). I replied "only its immediate neigbours". Which is fact, some zionists do beleive that the zionist state should extend to areas of Lebanon, Syria and Jordan. However, at no point did i say israel has aspirations to control these countries. I was referring to some zionists.
OK, then.
"Some" being a ridiculously small, if even still existent number. Kinda like saying "some Brits support the deportation of everyone who can't prove they've been in Britain since the dawn of time" - clearly it's only a tiny minority on the outermost fringe.
Salman Rushdie is an atheist. They are honoring an atheist. That's the long and short of it really.
''In a dinner scheduled for tonight, the American Jewish Congress plans to honor Sayyed and four others for what it sees as their friendly attitudes toward Israel and courageous efforts to reform Islam.'' (same source as OP)

Or in the case of Rushdie shift it to Atheism.

The AJC are obviously strirring. Hopefully the whole Pope thing fades away by the time this hits the mainstream media in this country, which it inevitably will.
Reply 49
Two posts from you, and nothing that is even remotely relevant to the thread. :confused:
Reply 50
Seeing as you're a mod, you should at least try to keep the thread on topic or no?

TBH, if I was Salman Rushdie, I'd be offended. I don't see why no one else gets this, and why - bar two people - don't think that the whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

I don't see a difference between this and Arafat having a "Jew" in his cabinet (a nice bloke from Neturei Karta).

Since when have Yasser Arafat's actions been a barometer for something that is ok?
Socrates
Read the full story here

Among those honoured are Salman Rushdie and Wafa Sultan, both who openly declare their "apostasy" from Islam. Yet they are being recognised by the AJC as "moderate" Muslims. Thoughts?

So muslims in general have become so extreme that by simply being moderate they get an award!!!!! Thanks guys for not bombin us, have a trophy!!!
Reply 52
Bismarck
Rushdie was born a Muslim. I could have swore Muslims don't recognize fellow Muslims converting out.

They may not approve of it; doesn't mean they don't recognise it.

As Howard says, its like giving the nobel prize for literature to a scientist.
Reply 53
You're changing the subject again. How does a self confessed non Muslim equal to a "moderate" Muslim? Or are the AJC run by a bunch of idiots?
"To put it as simply as possible: I am not a Muslim.[...] I do not accept the charge of apostacy, because I have never in my adult life affirmed any belief, and what one has not affirmed one can not be said to have apostasized from. The Islam I know states clearly that 'there can be no coercion in matters of religion'. The many Muslims I respect would be horrified by the idea that they belong to their faith purely by virtue of birth, and that a person who freely chose not to be a Muslim could therefore be put to death." [Salman Rushdie, In Good Faith, 1990]
Reply 55
The quote above seems to say otherwise.
Maybe they forewent the research stage and just waited for god to tell them who to give awards to.
Islam says all sorts of things, it doesn't necessarily make them true. I think Rushdie knows what religion he is and isn't.
Reply 58
Bismarck
The quote above is not said by an imam. Why am I telling you about your own religion? Sheesh. Do you really not know that Islam forbids conversions?

But if he wasn't a Muslim in the first place, it isn't a conversion. Being born into a Muslim family doesn't make you a Muslim...
Oh what ridiculous religious crap of the highest order.

A child doesn't know what it is regarding religion any more than it does politics. Rushdie now rejects the religion and god completly as is a self professed atheist. Any rational thinking person could derive form this that he is an atheist, not a Muslim, and no imam's take on a decades old storybook or whatever is written on some award from the Jewish Congress will change that.

Latest

Trending

Trending