The Student Room Group

Girlfriend putting on weight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arieh
Cake is a common thing to eat for breakfast in Italy, and still they have one of the lowest obesity rates in Europe.

The type of cake Italians eat at breakfast isn't comparable to muffin. It is light and dry, and laden with neither sugar nor fat. Neither do they eat it on a regular basis. Pastry is a common thing to eat for breakfast here, but if a given individual eats pastries every day s/he will probably gain weight.

I'm not making excuses for the Italians, though. I lived with one for two years at uni and his diet was bizarre (ate no vegetables whatsoever and seemed to survive solely on hot chocolate and nutella). But then he was on the football 1st team, and was fitter than any of my housemates including me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by slg60
okay great he doesn't want a girlfriend over size ten so what he doesn't have to have one, that doesn't mean she has to eat what he wants her to eat so she can be thin for him. :/

Also fatacceptance you say that as though its ridiculous, which of course it is not :/

I don't think OP's proposing to chain her to the radiator and restrict her diet to rice crackers and water against her will.

Presumably it's better that he suggest some possibilities for her personal improvement than dump her.
Reply 82
Oh OP - i'm sure you want a skinny girlfriend much but maybe your girlfriend doesn't want you to be as narrow-minded as you are but yet she's not moaning about it on a public forum?
Reply 83
Original post by TurboCretin
The type of cake Italians eat at breakfast isn't comparable to muffin. It is light and dry, and laden with neither sugar nor fat. Neither do they eat it on a regular basis.

As I've already said, I'm Italian myself so I know what I'm talking about. I love having a delicious slice of homemade cake for breakfast, but of course I don't bake every other day... The truth is, I had a couple of these for breakfast everyday during my school years:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7zS9KTz0iQM/maxresdefault.jpg

It's definitely not a good habit, but trust me things like these are a very common breakfast/snack for children and young people in general. The most common things is actually cookies (often the chocolate chips or double chocolate ones), which often have up to 50kcal each of sugar and fat.

Such things are balanced by the lack of other bad habits (e.g. things such as coke, crisps or popcorn are normally considered party food, and eaten seldomly).
(Sorry for the OT, see my previous post for the point of the whole discourse).
Original post by TheFailingNerd
Ouch...

Well I do believe she can eat whatever she wants but not exercising is really unhealthy. Just ask her what her favourite sport is and you can play together at a club or the park or something. She may end up really enjoying it and lose a bit of weight.

You believe it's fine to eat whatever she likes but not fine to not exercise? Diet has as much, if not more impact on health (as well as obesity).
Original post by Meduza
Oh OP - i'm sure you want a skinny girlfriend much but maybe your girlfriend doesn't want you to be as narrow-minded as you are but yet she's not moaning about it on a public forum?

Is this not a relationship advice forum.

Original post by infairverona
If you only fancy her with tone in her arms and the other rubbish you've said, dump her. You clearly have no long term future. What would happen if you got married and had children? Could you deal with her post-pregnancy body? You don't love her, just get rid and save her the aggro.

Neither of us want children, in fact I'm considering a vasectomy.

Original post by Anonymous
Maybe you should date someone who is equally superficial. I am not saying this in a nasty way, you clearly care about looks i agree with you they DO matter. She is clearly doesn't care that much about they way she looks and as it is so important to you, you should probably find someone who is equally superficial. Unless of course you are ugly in which case you probs can't do that :biggrin:

She also cares about looks. But that isn't an issue as I eat clean, train regularly and work as a part-time model some weekends.

She also cares about looks. But that isn't an issue as I eat clean, train regularly and work as a part-time model some weekends.

a vasectomy? how old are you?!
Original post by joker12345
You believe it's fine to eat whatever she likes but not fine to not exercise? Diet has as much, if not more impact on health (as well as obesity).

I know, it's just these opinions aren't coming from one belief.

I believe health is important, but I believe as a person you can eat and do whatever you want.
I get you point man. Only you have it wrong.
How about instead of her going to the gym you both do and make it fun. Instead of muffins cook a few meals a week for her. Do things with hey don't just tell her to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the way i'm gonna tell people to shut the hell up in two subjects.

First is, if the op was allergic to something that the girl ate and he said to her would you still be "its her choice" because she agreed to have the relationship where you understand eachother and care for one another, so eating something that may kill the person you care for doesn't seem fair, and I know it may not be directly relevant but she is basically killing herself with what she eats.

Second, shut up about calories thank you. Calories are what give you energy and mainly comes from sugar or other sources. Saturated fat its what actually makes you fatter, yes your bodies metabolism can be taken into account but that's just how often you need to eat. Calories are what keep you alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If she's gaining a lot of weight then that's a problem, just go and do sports with her and use that as time to be spent together.
Original post by Arieh
As I've already said, I'm Italian myself so I know what I'm talking about. I love having a delicious slice of homemade cake for breakfast, but of course I don't bake every other day... The truth is, I had a couple of these for breakfast everyday during my school years:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7zS9KTz0iQM/maxresdefault.jpg

It's definitely not a good habit, but trust me things like these are a very common breakfast/snack for children and young people in general. The most common things is actually cookies (often the chocolate chips or double chocolate ones), which often have up to 50kcal each of sugar and fat.

Such things are balanced by the lack of other bad habits (e.g. things such as coke, crisps or popcorn are normally considered party food, and eaten seldomly).
(Sorry for the OT, see my previous post for the point of the whole discourse).

Fair enough!

I still think eating cake for breakfast is absurd.
Reply 92
You could always murder her:

As I said before, we're now living an hour away from each other and we have separate schedules, ergo I can't go to the gym with her or do sports with her. Moreover even if it were a possibility I feel that training another would affect my own training quite negatively.
As I said before, we're now living an hour away from each other and we have separate schedules, ergo I can't go to the gym with her or do sports with her. Moreover even if it were a possibility I feel that training another would affect my own training quite negatively.

Find a place that is nice, say the top of a hill or something at equidistance for the two of you. Then at the same time start a race to that place and when you get there you can spend time together. But if it matters to you about her getting fat tell her that it concerns you that she isn't looking after herself, don't say she is fat but say that you think it would be nice if she tried to make herself look nice, without makeup or anything but to just train a bit or something. you can buy her weights and stuff but only if you know you will stay with her as they can be quite costly. also if she doesn't want to do something its hard to force her and you might as well give up if so. If you need to take her on long walks for the weekend or something as that can work for exercise.

when you say an hour you can mean anywhere between 3 miles and 50 depending on mode of transport 3 miles as a slow walker or 50 on the motorway

give a "rough" distance or what average speed does the vehicle travel? as that can help but if we don't know that then it may be hard to give you some ideas on what events you may be able to take her out on
Original post by Arkarian
when you say an hour you can mean anywhere between 3 miles and 50 depending on mode of transport 3 miles as a slow walker or 50 on the motorway

give a "rough" distance or what average speed does the vehicle travel? as that can help but if we don't know that then it may be hard to give you some ideas on what events you may be able to take her out on

Let's make this easier. I'll see her one weekend every 3 weeks or so.
Let's make this easier. I'll see her one weekend every 3 weeks or so.

Yeah i have little to no idea.
but what i do know is long distances don't help relationships so you may ant to re-evaluate what you feel towards her as if you plan to live with her ect.
if you don't id drop the relationship as it wont work well and you aren't gaining much by it.

sorry i cant help more but many of my relationships have died because i've had to live 20+ miles away from them and i've had little to no contact.

But yeah unless you can live closer and see each other then i don't think it will work out unless its only for a small period of time.

What i'm saying is stay with it if you feel it can work but, if you don't see her that often is there really a point of holding her down?
Also it can really drain you to deal with things long distance if you concern yourself too much with her.

Sorry to change my tone but i've been through it and i used to have emotional problems because i couldn't help and i couldn't be there for the person i loved.

But yeah don't give up, but don't expect everything to work out.
Original post by Arkarian
Yeah i have little to no idea.
but what i do know is long distances don't help relationships so you may ant to re-evaluate what you feel towards her as if you plan to live with her ect.
if you don't id drop the relationship as it wont work well and you aren't gaining much by it.

sorry i cant help more but many of my relationships have died because i've had to live 20+ miles away from them and i've had little to no contact.

But yeah unless you can live closer and see each other then i don't think it will work out unless its only for a small period of time.

What i'm saying is stay with it if you feel it can work but, if you don't see her that often is there really a point of holding her down?
Also it can really drain you to deal with things long distance if you concern yourself too much with her.

Sorry to change my tone but i've been through it and i used to have emotional problems because i couldn't help and i couldn't be there for the person i loved.

But yeah don't give up, but don't expect everything to work out.

I was working away all through the summer and we only saw each other once a month, it's not a problem. Plus we're moving back into very close vicinity next year. If I do decide I have to leave her (which I'm not considering) then it'll not be related to long distance relationship.

Where?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending